PDA

View Full Version : Heidelberg Topaz Scanner Value

jdc
3-Dec-2008, 18:19
Good Day,
I have the opportunity to get on trade a Heidelberg Topaz Scanner. It is probably close to 10 years old and plenty big. The problem is that I don't know what it is worth, whether or not its been eclipsed in speed, quality, etc by the likes of Microtek's M1, if it is just too old and out of date, or as good as gems like the Eversmart.

Cheers,

jdc

erie patsellis
3-Dec-2008, 21:31
I've seen the sell for between "please come get this" to around $350.00. If you have space and patience, I've heard that they can give an impressive scan. I'm on the hunt for one semi locally (Chicago, St. Louis, Indy area) and so far have missed 2 around the $300 mark.

sanking
3-Dec-2008, 21:52
There are several models of the Topaz. Genesis, http://www.genesis-equipment.com/
sells them for between $5k and $10k depending on model. These are clearly top of the line flatbeds, though overall not on the same level as the EverSmart.

One good feature, though, is that you can drive them with Silverfast software.

Sandy King

Good Day,
I have the opportunity to get on trade a Heidelberg Topaz Scanner. It is probably close to 10 years old and plenty big. The problem is that I don't know what it is worth, whether or not its been eclipsed in speed, quality, etc by the likes of Microtek's M1, if it is just too old and out of date, or as good as gems like the Eversmart.

Cheers,

jdc

rob
3-Dec-2008, 23:47
I got one for $125 locally. I use an old powermac (scsi). The software needs a dongle to run! It's much better than my epson 3200.

jdc
4-Dec-2008, 01:43
I got one for $125 locally. I use an old powermac (scsi). The software needs a dongle to run! It's much better than my epson 3200.

Rob,
Can you tell me a bit about your experiences with the scanner? Which version do you have the 3k or 5k one? Do you do film scans and if so how is the output?

Jeffrey Sipress
4-Dec-2008, 11:12
There's a Tango on ebay right now for $29K!

Oh, that includes a Mac G4.

sanking
4-Dec-2008, 11:20
A much better deal in my opinion is the Aztek DPL 8000 drum scanner that has been advertised here on the LF forum. Asking price is now $7K I understand, and it appears to be complete and ready to go.

Sandy King

jdc
4-Dec-2008, 13:23
A much better deal in my opinion is the Aztek DPL 8000 drum scanner that has been advertised here on the LF forum. Asking price is now $7K I understand, and it appears to be complete and ready to go.

Sandy King

Yes, but will either accept prints in trade?

Joerg Krusche
4-Dec-2008, 13:44
@ sanking,

there is not much of a difference betweeen a Topaz and a Eversmart except that the latter is xy and stitching .. the Topaz, go for the Topaz II, with Linocolor 6.0.12 (I believe, I saw one working) is despite its age a truly professional device.

Joerg

Bruce Watson
4-Dec-2008, 13:54

<snark>
I think the OP wants a good scanner.
</snark>

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

rob
4-Dec-2008, 14:49
Mine is the one with 6k pixel sensor, I think it's the 1st generation. I scan both slides and print. If you scan 35mm, my estimate of the effective resolution is about ~3600 dpi. I have an example scanned at 8150 dpi here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23428&page=2

Rob,
Can you tell me a bit about your experiences with the scanner? Which version do you have the 3k or 5k one? Do you do film scans and if so how is the output?

Allen in Montreal
10-Dec-2008, 10:24
...... the Topaz, go for the Topaz II, with Linocolor 6.0.12 (I believe, I saw one working) is despite its age a truly professional device.

Joerg

I picked up a Topaz 1 but have had a devil of a time buying a copy of Linocolor for it.

seawolf66
13-Dec-2008, 07:31
here is a web site, on ebay that has stuff for topaz scanners !

http://stores.ebay.com/WebBanksNY_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

also you can these's folks for Linocolor soft ware !

http://www.mpgsystems.com/software_heidelberg.htm

Allen in Montreal
13-Dec-2008, 07:42
They only seem to have a solution for the Topaz that is over 2k (silverfast).
The other software bundles are for the smaller lino scanners.

Will

LinoColor Elite 6.0.9/ with IT*8 Scan Target Set for OS-9.2 For Saphir/Ultra/Ultra-2/Hi-Res/OpalUltra/Circon. Linoscan-1400 /1450/1800/2200/2400-XL/2650/QuickStep

drive the Topaz too?

Doesn't sound like it will.

I have written to them and will report back as soon as I hear.

Joerg Krusche
17-Dec-2008, 15:24
hi,

linocolor 6.0.12 does drive amongst other heidelbergs as well tango and Topaz.

best,

jorg