PDA

View Full Version : So my scanner bit it...

Stephanie Brim
1-Dec-2008, 00:52
...kinda. The back light for the transparency scanner went tits up. I can no longer scan real transparency anything the traditional way...

http://thirtyfivemillimeter.org/blogimages/bananas2.jpg

This is from a negative that I took using a shutterless lens and the 'pull the darkslide, count your exposure, and replace it quickly' method. It didn't work well. The negative, though, is sharper than this. I scanned this using only the reflective scanner, no backlight, with the film in the film holder toward the reflective bed and a few pieces of white paper over the film holder.

http://thirtyfivemillimeter.org/blogimages/bananas3.jpg

Another example.

Is there any other way that I could get better scans without replacing the scanner? I can't right now, and the local-est place there is to scan 4x5 is 20 miles away and they charge $5 per scan. I mean, this is better than nothing, obviously, but if there's another way I'd like to know. ;)

dwhistance
1-Dec-2008, 03:23
Do you have a lightbox? If so then try putting it over the top of the neg so that the light shines through to the scanner.

David Whistance

Henry Ambrose
1-Dec-2008, 06:55
Why not replace the lamp? Is that the problem?

Stephanie Brim
1-Dec-2008, 11:51
Yeah. The problem is that I don't know where to get one, and I'd need detailed instructions, preferably with images, to do it. If you can point me in the right direction I'd look into that. :)

Ben Hopson
1-Dec-2008, 11:57
Replacement lamps are available for many scanners. What scanner do you have?

Stephanie Brim
1-Dec-2008, 12:06
This is the Epson Perfection 2450 Photo. It's good enough for me so I really don't want to buy one of the new ones unless extremely necessary...it would also hurt my budget for film for next year. :p

BarryS
1-Dec-2008, 13:09
I have a 2450 scanner I stopped using when I upgraded to an Artixscan M1 and will sell it for a very reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.

D. Bryant
1-Dec-2008, 15:29
This is the Epson Perfection 2450 Photo. It's good enough for me so I really don't want to buy one of the new ones unless extremely necessary...it would also hurt my budget for film for next year. :p
Look for a replacement Epson 2450 or 3200. They can be found typically for $50 or less.

Good luck,

Don Bryant

coops
1-Dec-2008, 21:05
I have a 3200 you can have if you want to pay shipping. It's just gathering dust in the closet. Thing is, I am out of town for 10 days or so.

Just let me know.

D. Bryant
1-Dec-2008, 21:16
Do you have a lightbox? If so then try putting it over the top of the neg so that the light shines through to the scanner.

David Whistance
Sorry but that doesn't work.

Don Bryant

Doug Fisher
2-Dec-2008, 08:50
I know this is very elementary, but you did check by fully unplugging and then replugging the pigtail connector just to make sure it hasn't just disconnected over time, right?

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

g.lancia
2-Dec-2008, 10:12
I just paid 100 Euros for a Epson 3200 scanner from Germany (I live in Italy). Please people don't say in the US you can get it for $50, or, worse, for the price of shipping! :mad:

I have been looking months for one on evil bay and actually also bought a crappy Mustek Be@rPaw 4800 TA PRO II which really has very limited Drange and horrible noise, coupled with one of the worst software I have ever seen.

But all is well now that I have managed to scan with the Epson 3200.

I would really advice to get one, can't be worse than the 2450. It looks well built too.

Jon Shiu
2-Dec-2008, 11:35
For scanning 4x5, the quality of scan from the Epson 3200 is close to that of the Epson V700 (at 1200 or 2400dpi).

Also, as another way of scanning, if you have a digital camera, you can take a picture of the negative on the light box and invert in photoshop.

Jon