PDA

View Full Version : Epson scanner or M1

Dave Jeffery
30-Nov-2008, 01:39
I searched for the thread comparing the V-750 to the M1 but couldn't find it. Was the V-750 a bit better? Eventually I'll get a drum scanner but I'd like a flatbed for previewing images and for small scans. The 4990's are very cheap now and maybe that is the way to go?

TIA

drew.saunders
30-Nov-2008, 10:35
As a preview scanner, the M1, with its autofocus and glassless holder, would be quite a bit slower to use than an older Epson. You could probably find a 3200 or other used scanner real cheap now. I upgraded from a 3200 photo to the M1 and the 3200 would be just fine for 600spi 8-bit quickie scans and the corresponding 4x5 or 8x10 proof print.

Drew

Brian_A
30-Nov-2008, 14:12
I love my 750. Although I'd definitely get the BetterScanning film holders and Wolf Faust's IT8 targets. I'd love a drum scanner, but that won't happen any time soon. Ifn I'm gunna drop that kinda cash it's gunna be into a Technorama :)

-B

Dan Baumbach
1-Dec-2008, 13:56
If you just want something for quick scans, then maybe a 4990 or 3200 is the way to go, just make sure that Epson has a driver for your OS. I had problems with my 3200 as Epson didn't have a Vista driver for my new computer.

The M1 is awesome for an inexpensive flatbed scanner. I get color accuracy that I never got with the 3200. However, as was mentioned, it is slow. So it depends on what you plan to use it for.

- Dan.

g.lancia
8-Dec-2008, 05:25
If you just want something for quick scans, then maybe a 4990 or 3200 is the way to go, just make sure that Epson has a driver for your OS. I had problems with my 3200 as Epson didn't have a Vista driver for my new computer.

The M1 is awesome for an inexpensive flatbed scanner. I get color accuracy that I never got with the 3200. However, as was mentioned, it is slow. So it depends on what you plan to use it for.

- Dan.

Color matching is better done in photoshop. You can't rely on the scanner software, since it doesn't work with final data, but only with the preview one.

I get perfect photos, comparable to digital, up to medium format with my Epson 4490 and LF with my Epson 3200. It's not the scanner limiting me. It's the bad lighting/film/developing.

Doug Fisher
10-Dec-2008, 07:52
FYI - Microtek has announced they are basically withdrawing from the US consumer scanner market:

http://www.noydcom.com/press_release/microtek/new_focus/

This doesn't really surprise me because they have not had their heart in the business here for the last few years.

Too bad.

Doug Fisher
10-Dec-2008, 07:57
Oh, and if you have a Microtek and need customer support, you better get it before Friday. Microtek says they are closing support from 12/12 through 1/5 for the "holiday season." That is almost a month.