PDA

View Full Version : Arca 8x10 block question

Herb Cunningham
27-Nov-2008, 07:53
I have an Arca 8x10 conversion that I use without the height adjustment block on the front standard, so I am guessing what is dead on and the rest. Since I tend to run out of image circle before I exceed the bag bellows, it is usually not a problem, but it would be nice to know what the measurement is. Kerry Thalmann has one of these blocks, and I ordered one from Diane at Arca about 18months ago, but never got it.

If don't own and 8x10 arca, you will not know what this is about.

Anybody know the measurement?

Raph
27-Nov-2008, 10:09
Hi Herb

it's an extender for front format frame (8x10“) . Part Number 069000
You can see one on the B&H page, "special oder stuff" :-((

Regards
Raph

Eric Leppanen
27-Nov-2008, 11:42
Herb,

As best as I can measure with a ruler, the height of my block is about 60mm.

I presume you've checked with Rod Klukas of Photomark to see if he has one in inventory? Also, there could be an outside chance that one of the European retailers (such as Robert White, who lists this part for $254 at current exchange rates) might be able to get one.

resummerfield
27-Nov-2008, 12:21
My block raises the front standard 62mm.

eric black
27-Nov-2008, 12:41
I talkedto Rod about one of the blocks and his take was they were a bit unstable and not worth the money- I had also been patiently waiting for one and am about to give up. I usually take care of the front rise with the rail when shooting tall trees and then tilt the standards back to level. Im curious to hear what others think about the stability of the block though.

Eric Leppanen
27-Nov-2008, 14:18
I also had a similar conversation with Rod about the block. I actually was a bit surprised, the block has turned out to be quite stable (definitely more stable than applying 60+ mm of rise to the front standard). For example, I recently used the block with my 800mm telephoto lens in the field, and the resulting chromes were quite sharp.

I initially tried using the camera without the block, but was not happy with that configuration. I use front rise quite a bit, and tilting the monorail and leveling the standards for nearly every camera setup was too much hassle, particularly when trying to carefully control how much rise is being applied when using a lens with a smallish image circle.

resummerfield
27-Nov-2008, 17:10
I've had my riser block for several years, and in use I've found it very solid. I tend to use front rise, and I find the block much easier to use than tilting the rail. And like Eric Leppanen, I use the block with an 800mm tele, and I've never had a problem.

Larry Menzin
27-Nov-2008, 18:07
I just ordered one of these blocks from Robert White and received it in about a week. I don't know why it's so hard to get from US retailers.

sethf22
28-Nov-2008, 05:43
I have been waiting for over two years for an order through Badger Graphics, I just placed an order through Robert White. Hopefully I will also receive one shortly. Thanks for the info Larry.

Seth

Pete Roody
28-Nov-2008, 08:26
I have one but most of the time I leave it at home. When I need more rise, I just tilt the rail up.

It is stable and rigid on the F-line carrier. It doesn't work well with my F-metric carrier but I think they changed the design for a better fit.

Herb Cunningham
5-Dec-2008, 18:22
thanks, guys, Robert White is an old supplier of mine. Can't imagine why we cannot get these things in the states.

sethf22
16-Dec-2008, 08:11
Just an FYI, it took 3 weeks for me to get this part from Robert White. It was not in stock, and they had to order it from Arca Swiss directly. Good service as always.

Seth

evan clarke
16-Dec-2008, 08:17
I have an Arca 8x10 conversion that I use without the height adjustment block on the front standard, so I am guessing what is dead on and the rest. Since I tend to run out of image circle before I exceed the bag bellows, it is usually not a problem, but it would be nice to know what the measurement is. Kerry Thalmann has one of these blocks, and I ordered one from Diane at Arca about 18months ago, but never got it.

If don't own and 8x10 arca, you will not know what this is about.

Anybody know the measurement?

Don't feel bad. I have been trying to get Diane to get me things on and off for years and have never been successful..Evan Clarke