PDA

View Full Version : Sd Card Question

kev curry
24-Nov-2008, 13:37
Does anyone know if there's a way to retrieve the information back from a mistakenly formatted SD card.....it seems like a long shot to me but......?
Sorry this is not a LF related question, I'm asking on behalf of a buddy:o

Any help would be great.

kev

Steven Barall
24-Nov-2008, 14:01
Probably yes. Download recovery software at topshareware.com. The program you want is called FileRecovery for SD 2.5. There are also other free programs that you can find via google. Good Luck.

jon.oman
24-Nov-2008, 14:01
Does anyone know if there's a way to retrieve the information back from a mistakenly formatted SD card.....it seems like a long shot to me but......?

Any help would be great.

kev

If the card was not used after the format, you could use something like 'Lexar Media Image Rescue 2'. It will bring back the images, since a normal format just removes the directory information, not the images themselves. This will work on other brands of media cards also, since it is a standard format. I think you can get this free software from the Lexar site. I have used this with success.

Jon

kev curry
24-Nov-2008, 14:03
That's just great many thanks to you both:)

kev

Lachlan 717
24-Nov-2008, 14:04

Any help would be great.

kev

Kev,

A mate of mine wanted to change the format of his images (I think that his camera had a Landscape format or some such shite), and mistakenly used the "reformat" function.

Thinking that he might have a chance to save the data once he realised his mistake, he didn't take any more images on the card.

Once back to a computer, I think that he simply Google'd and found restorative software quite easily.

It came down to not adding any new data to the chip.

It is my understanding that "reformatting" doesn't wipe the full data load; it just frees up all of the card's memory to be overwritten... (in basic terms).

I also asked about this at a local photo chain store in Australia, and they were familiar with the concept. So, if it doesn't leave you feeling too dirty, maybe head to Jessop's.

Lachlan.

Hope that helps

kev curry
24-Nov-2008, 14:32
Thanks Lachlan'
Ive just relayed all the info to my buddy, hes very grateful!

On the subject of Jessops I went into the Glasgow branch this morning to find a Cokin Z pro step up ring for a new 'old' lens but the guy said ''we dont stock them" I said but you stock the Z pro holder and 4x4'' filters...they were staring at me from the rack behind him, he said... ''Ah.. I know but we don't stock the step up rings'' I replied ''another savy managerial decision eh....makes perfect sense''!.... he just gave me a wry smile:rolleyes: Another nail in that coffin:)

Cheers

kev

erie patsellis
24-Nov-2008, 15:31
One I found that worked wonders on a corrupted card was PC Inspector Smart Recovery (freeware, at www.convar.com , a data recovery company based in Germany)

Lachlan 717
24-Nov-2008, 15:41
On the subject of Jessops I went into the Glasgow branch this morning to find a Cokin Z pro step up ring for a new 'old' lens but the guy said ''we dont stock them" I said but you stock the Z pro holder and 4x4'' filters...they were staring at me from the rack behind him, he said... ''Ah.. I know but we don't stock the step up rings'' I replied ''another savy managerial decision eh....makes perfect sense''!.... he just gave me a wry smile:rolleyes: Another nail in that coffin:)

I know the store, Kev.

I was in it about 2 months ago.

Luckily, I was heading to Iona via Mull and was able to visit the Abbey there and have the Priest exorcise the Jessop demons from me...

Lachlan.

Clive Gray
24-Nov-2008, 15:44
If the freeware ones don't work Get Data's Recover my files is worth a try

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

You can download a trail which will let you see if it will work or not on the media you need to recover from.

It's the only thing I have found that can recover data from USB keys giving you the dreaded "the only thing you can do is format this" error.

kev curry
24-Nov-2008, 16:44
I know the store, Kev.

I was in it about 2 months ago.

Luckily, I was heading to Iona via Mull and was able to visit the Abbey there and have the Priest exorcise the Jessop demons from me...

Lachlan.

Just a few months ago Jessops had there entire basement pretty much dedicated to traditional photography with 2 or 3 staff members on hand, they've since got the boot and the dark room gear is confined to a few shelves upstairs...pity! I'll just give up on them now and do it all on line!

My partner used to have a little croft on Mull many moons ago, she took me there on a bit of a pilgrimage to the Island to show me around her old life...rugged Island lovely and wild. We had the intention of taking the ferry over to Iona to see the abbey but when we both caught sight of the bus after bus of tourists wearing there tartan trews (pants) we decided to back off and return another day......it was mayhem, but one day I'll return in the dead of winter when there's less folk around with a 5x4:)

kev curry
24-Nov-2008, 16:47
If the freeware ones don't work Get Data's Recover my files is worth a try

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

You can download a trail which will let you see if it will work or not on the media you need to recover from.

It's the only thing I have found that can recover data from USB keys giving you the dreaded "the only thing you can do is format this" error.

Will pass it on Clive thanks

kev

Daniel_Buck
24-Nov-2008, 17:04
If the card was not used after the format, you could use something like 'Lexar Media Image Rescue 2'. It will bring back the images, since a normal format just removes the directory information, not the images themselves. This will work on other brands of media cards also, since it is a standard format. I think you can get this free software from the Lexar site. I have used this with success.

Agreed. I did this once with the sandisk utility, when someone at work gave me my card back, and I thought they were finished with it so I formatted it. Turns out they weren't finished and still needed the images. The utility worked just fine, I had only written a few extra images on it, not enough to actually write over the old images.