PDA

View Full Version : Combi-Plan Film Clip Repair

Len Eselson
23-Nov-2008, 18:46
Hi all. I've managed to crach the horizonatal bars on the Combi-Plan Film Clip a few times. I have purchased replacements so I am OK for now, but expect that I will need to replace them again in the future as the design appears weak.

Has anyone found a way to repair the clips ?

Other than the clips, I am quite happy with the tanks.

Len Eselson

Gem Singer
23-Nov-2008, 19:46
Krazy Glue works like a charm on that type of plastic. I also needed to do a few repairs on my Combi-Plan film clips. So far, they are holding up just fine.

Toyon
24-Nov-2008, 08:01
Krazy glue never held up for me in the tank, same with epoxy. What works is using the broken clip. Mine's been broken on one side for 3 years and works fine. Strange but true.

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2008, 08:58
Those clips have sides that release a ratchet so the clip stays firmly on the film keeping it in place. The reason the clips break is because the long sides of the clip are not depressed to release the ratchet. If the sides are not depressed the clip will break - always. If the sides are gently depressed the clips do not break.

Practice your technique while removing the clip from the top of the film holder and you will quickly see how much pressure is needed (not much).

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2008, 09:19
It's true that the horizontal bars on the film clips are thin and weak. They weren't designed to be squeezed. However, if they are accidentally squeezed (in the dark), they will usually break. I broke two film clips while learning that lesson.

Perhaps it was luck. I allowed the Krazy Glue to dry overnight, and both of my repairs have held up for more than five years.

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2008, 10:02
It's true that the horizontal bars on the film clips are thin and weak. They weren't designed to be squeezed.

They certainly are. Following is the last paragraph of the instruction book. This paragraph is illustrated with pictures showing exactly where to apply pressure. There is also a referral in the beginning of the instructions to this page.

"E. Proper use and care of Film Retaining Clip 459466. Four small ratchets on the clip engage four rack type bars on the outer edges of the handle on the upper spacer bar to securely lock the film retaining clip onto the handle. To disengage and remove the clip from the handle gently press together the 2 bars of the clip (illus. 11) using the thumb and index fingers and lift off. (illus. 13 frontal view) the inherent spring action of the plastic material used fully meets these requirements. do not abuse the clip. never squeeze or pull apart the clip by force. (illus. 12) avoid excessive wear by never allowing the ratchets of the clip to ride against the racks of the handle. always slip-on or remove the clip with the ratchets released, ie. with a gentle but firm pressure on the 2 bars of the clip"

Toyon
24-Nov-2008, 12:20
Those clips have sides that release a ratchet so the clip stays firmly on the film keeping it in place. The reason the clips break is because the long sides of the clip are not depressed to release the ratchet. If the sides are not depressed the clip will break - always. If the sides are gently depressed the clips do not break.

Practice your technique while removing the clip from the top of the film holder and you will quickly see how much pressure is needed (not much).

Bob's right, the clips will break if not depressed with minimal necessary pressure. In practical terms this means that the clips will break. The Combi is a great system, but like other systems, it can be improved.

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2008, 12:22
Bob,

The poster's original question asked if anyone had experience repairing a broken clip.

Your responses have concentrated on how to prevent breakage of the clip.

Of course we followed the instructions included with the Combi-Plan tank. However, accidents do happen when attempting to properly install the clip after loading film into the film rack in the dark.

It's easy to properly operate the clip when you can see what you are doing. It seems that the Combi-Plan designers did not take into consideration that the film clip needs to be installed and moved up or down on the film rack in complete darkness.

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2008, 14:03
Bob,

The poster's original question asked if anyone had experience repairing a broken clip.

Your responses have concentrated on how to prevent breakage of the clip.

Of course we followed the instructions included with the Combi-Plan tank. However, accidents do happen when attempting to properly install the clip after loading film into the film rack in the dark.

It's easy to properly operate the clip when you can see what you are doing. It seems that the Combi-Plan designers did not take into consideration that the film clip needs to be installed and moved up or down on the film rack in complete darkness.

Gem,

The designer and inventor of the complete Combina system. Herr Krause - was a total photo enthusiast as well as a machinist and a highly qualified tool maker. The plastic chosen is designed to be pressed and released while placing it on and removing it from the film holder. It was explicitly chosen for that task - even though it was the only material that met the specifications when from BASF when the tank was designed over 40 years ago.

While some people do seem to break the clips quite regularly there are thousands of these tanks sold yearly - and multiply that by the decades that the tank has been sold! and we get very few requests for replacement clips. Probably less then 30 individual orders a year.

There is no way to properly repair the clip with glue, string or any other method. The tension is designed so that the chemistry flow during inversion will not displace it and that can only be guaranteed with a complete clip.

In addition the glue used may react with some chemistries.

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2008, 16:07
Injection moulded polystyrene?

What's so special about that material?

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2008, 17:00
Injection moulded polystyrene?

What's so special about that material?

It works for the purpose it is designed for.

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2008, 17:46
Bob,

Almost five years ago, I wrote an article for this website, entitled. "Developing 4X5 Sheet Film-an Alternative Method". It still appears on the front page.

At that time I was using three Combi-Plan tanks as a compact dip-and-dunk film processing system. However, I have now returned to using stainless steel film hangers and tanks. The Combi-Plan plastic film hangers and clips did not hold up under constant use.

I'm speaking from my own experience.

Bob Salomon
24-Nov-2008, 18:00
Bob,

Almost five years ago, I wrote an article for this website, entitled. "Developing 4X5 Sheet Film-an Alternative Method". It still appears on the front page.

At that time I was using three Combi-Plan tanks as a compact dip-and-dunk film processing system. However, I have now returned to using stainless steel film hangers and tanks. The Combi-Plan plastic film hangers and clips did not hold up under constant use.

I'm speaking from my own experience.

Gem,

Sorry your experience was not the norm. But if you have a system that works for you then use it,

Gem Singer
24-Nov-2008, 18:05
Okay, Bob, you can have the last word (as usual).

Just because you argued me down while defending your product doesn't necessarily mean that you won the argument.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nick Kanellos
25-Nov-2008, 07:56
I've been using my CombiPlan for nearly 10 years without a problem. However, after 10 years of constant use, the plastic ratchets have started to wear so the clip can slide a bit. However, with the lid on, I have found there is no possibility that the clip will come off outright.

Len Eselson
25-Nov-2008, 20:03
Folks, thanks for your comments and suggestions.

There is no question in my mind that the design of the clips is poor. No Human Factors expert would sanction a device that requires precisely the right amount of force, exerted by fingers upon weak material, in the dark, to activate crude ratchets and never fail..

I will try the crazy glue. I'll have to decide which way to go when (and if) the devices fail completely.

Bob, rather than defend the design, I feel that it would be better to work to induce the manufacturer to improve the design. The tank is good, but the clip needs to be made foolproof.

Len Eselson

weasel
26-Nov-2008, 04:09
While I have never had my clip break, I can see where it could.
I get good use out of my combi plan, but would offer the following for design improvements;
1. Make a better clip somehow, as folks seem to have trouble with them breaking.
2. Make the inflow/outflow gizmos bigger so the tank will drain and fill faster.
As Bob said, these were first designed 40 years ago. Maybe time for some updates?