PDA

View Full Version : Beseler 11x14 Drum

solace
23-Nov-2008, 18:27
Hi all,

I'm extremely new here (and to LF photography) so 'hi!'.

I was wondering if the Beseler 11x14 print drum can handle 4x5 sheet film? I've seen the lf page and other posts saying you can do 4 sheets of 4x5 in the 8x10, but no information about whether the 11x14 can do it...

Thanks!

D. Bryant
23-Nov-2008, 20:50
Hi all,

I'm extremely new here (and to LF photography) so 'hi!'.

I was wondering if the Beseler 11x14 print drum can handle 4x5 sheet film? I've seen the lf page and other posts saying you can do 4 sheets of 4x5 in the 8x10, but no information about whether the 11x14 can do it...

Thanks!
As I recall, if you have the inserts they can handle 4x5 and 5x7.

Don Bryant

Erik Larsen
23-Nov-2008, 21:39
I believe they can, but you will need the plastic ribs that slide in grooves in the drum. If you don't have those I don't think it will work.
regards
Erik

solace
23-Nov-2008, 21:47
Does the 8x10 also need inserts or is the 11x14 just different in its construction?

Erik Larsen
23-Nov-2008, 22:00
You will need the inserts to do 4x5 in the 8x10 as well I believe unless I am mistaken and the 8x10 has a built in rib to catch the 4x5 sheets correctly.
erik

solace
23-Nov-2008, 22:09
Hm. I will keep hunting for an 8x10 then. Thank you. :)

Mike Castles
24-Nov-2008, 06:14
I use both (but not home right now) - you need the rib AND the little clip that slides on the rib to seperate the films. 4-4x5 negs at a time with the 8x1, 2-5x7's or 1-8x10. With the 11x14 drums you can do 1-11x14, 2-8x10 (or in my case 2-7x11), 4-5x7 and I think up to 8-4x5 negs (never tried it so don't hold be to that number).

They are great for processing films and still not to hard to find.

solace
24-Nov-2008, 16:31
I see a few of these coming up second hand, but the only thing I've been asking is if they're print or film drums. Now adding the rib question to my list. :)

It just occurred to me to ask though, is it possible to get replacements/substitutes for the ribs (DIY or purchase)?

If the clip is the peg being used in http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/ then I think that's okay...

Mike Castles
24-Nov-2008, 17:13
Actually, the Beseler drums I use ARE print drums, not film. The clips are different with the Beseler vs the ones in the link you posted. Will see if I can get a photo using the point n shoot digi cam and post it for you.

Not aware of any replacement/sub parts..but then haven't had to get that creative. A side not, there ARE Jobo drums that might fit your needs like the Jobo 2840 might work.

Erik Larsen
24-Nov-2008, 17:29
Mike's right, unless you already have the beseler drum complete with the ribs and clips I would look for a jobo print drum because you will probably have a hard time finding the replacement parts (who knows, maybe you can still get them) You can pick up a Jobo print drum pretty cheaply and the ribs are built in.

regards
Erik

solace
24-Nov-2008, 17:36
Ack. So much extra stuff that didn't come up in the threads about developing 4x5 sheet film. :)

I hadn't seen the Jobo 2840 come up for 4x5 sheet film. And I was never quite clear about what the difference was between the print and sheet drums for any of the manufacturers other than the print ones were likely to be ribbed and the film ones smooth.

Is there a reason why there needs to be the smooth film drums (beseler, unicolor and jobo) when it seems that people are using the print drums for both anyway? Or is it a process thing? *slightly confused*

Mike Castles
24-Nov-2008, 17:49
Not an expert by any means, but let's see if this helps any.

Jobo - film drum that will accept a reel that will process 4x5 (model 2523 I think)
paper drums that will process paper and some use for film
Expert drums (these are nice BTW) that are used for film

Beseler/Unicolor/etc - most of these drums were made for paper, but have been adapted by different folks to process film. By adapted, I mean we use them for film rather than paper.

Of course there is the tried and true tray process (and this is where some use DBI - developement by inspection).

Then there are the tanks that some use with film holders.

If you get lucky there are the Nikkor stainless steel tanks that use a SS reel as well.

Lots of options, and really what works for you.

John Whitley
24-Nov-2008, 18:00
[...]the little clip that slides on the rib to seperate the films. [...]

If you have the separator rib(s), it's not hard to fashion a new separator. E.g. I cut one out of a plastic plant tag in a few minutes with a scissors (for a circular shape to match the inside of the drum) and an xacto knife (to cut a notch to slide over the rib). Works great; any bit of thin plastic stock would probably work as well.

solace
24-Nov-2008, 18:22
Oh I see. That's a bit clearer. :)

DBI sounds perfect so that I can actually learn what I'm doing rather than doing it blind. But I'm trying to go the drum option because I am unable to set up a proper dark room. And I'm on a reasonably low budget for kit.

The Jobo 2521/2523 seem a bit short to sit on any of the cheaper roller bases and the 2551 and what I've just seen of the 2840 seem a little outside my price range. Moreso because shipping to Australia is a killer.

I've managed to find a Beseler 8x10 with divider and rib so I might start off with that. And at least I know I can fashion a new separator if I'm silly enough to lose this one. :P

Thank you all for your advice. It's been very helpful!

venchka
26-Nov-2008, 08:12
For 4x5 sheet film, the Jobo 2551/2553 tank (same tank, different model numbers for Jobo drive) and some 2509 or 2509n reels are the ticket. Agitate with a Uniroller or Beseler motor base. The tank also accepts adjustable reels for 35mm & 120 or 220 film.

The 2551/2553 tank will hold 3 4x5 reels, 3 120/220 reels or 5 35mm reels. I use mine for all 3 formats. Works like a charm.

venchka
26-Nov-2008, 08:19
I missed your earlier post.

Keep looking for the 2551/2553 twins. I got mine full of the roll film reels for the cost of shipping.

I also have a 2840 print drum and small tank to attach it to. I bought it thinking I could use it for roll film. The light trap for prints is a cup. While I suppose you could put reels in the drum, it's not really set up for film reels. It does, however, work perfectly for paper.

Start a fund to buy the Jobo 3010 Expert tank. You really want one.