PDA

View Full Version : Question on Lee Gel Filters

Jim Cole
23-Nov-2008, 17:57
I've been using square filters for years, but just started doing fine art repros and bought 12 100mm (4") Lee color correction gel filters for shoots with 4x5 transparency film.

I also ordered the Lee Gel Snap Holder and a package of the Lee 4" mounts for the gel filters.

I seem to be stumped on how to use these mounts or frames for the gels. I know I can use the gels unmounted in the Gel Snap Holder, but I asumed that the filters would be better protected and last longer in the frames.

Here's my dumb question. How the heck does one put the gel filters in the frames? The filters are exactly as wide as the frames and don't allow the two pieces of the frames to snap together. Am I supposed to trim the filters to fit? Seems like the gels would be made to slip into the frames.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Jim

Eric Woodbury
23-Nov-2008, 18:10
If these are the round hole type, turn the filter at 45 degrees to the frame. Stick. Clip the corners of the excess filter.

Jim Cole
23-Nov-2008, 19:03
Eric,

The holes are square with only about 3/8 frame width. Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it would have worked. The Gel Snap Holder itself has a round hole, but the square frames have snap pin/holes around all four sides so that even if you mount the gel at a 45 degree angle, the filter still interferes with the snap together frame.

Jim

DuncanD
23-Nov-2008, 19:26
I have the same problem with several fiters I purchased from Lee assembled. Over time the snap plastic frames have separated and don't want to snap back together.

John Kasaian
23-Nov-2008, 20:14
My frames are the self adhesive cardboard ones from Calumet, so I just snipped off the corners of the gels and put them between the frames and pressed closed. The Lee gel snap holder pop opens and the frames fit right in with no problems.

C. D. Keth
23-Nov-2008, 20:16
You can use snot tape to put them in and help hold the snap frames together. It will hold pretty well and won't harm the gels.

Peter Lewitt
23-Nov-2008, 21:00
Lee trims the polyester filters in their packaged sets, but they are not glued.

I have had good results simply clipping all four corners and making a small v-notch on 2 sides to clear the little pins that join the 2 framehalves. No glue is needed unless the frames get loose. Gluing the filter itself may cause it to warp; better to let in float freely in the frame. If needed, use a tiny bit of glue on the little pins. And work on a flat surface to avoid warping the frame/filter sandwich.

Most of their products are pretty well though out. It seems that you are on your own with this one. That said, the ones I assembled worked fine.

Jim Cole
23-Nov-2008, 22:35
John, Christopher and Peter,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll try clipping notches and if it becomes too big of a PITA I'll try some of Calumets cardboard holders.

It's funny that the packages of plastic Lee frames actually say "cardboard holders" on the packaging.

Christopher...I'm not familiar with "snot tape". It made me crack up when I read it though.

Jim

Jim Cole
25-Nov-2008, 21:47
I decided to use a paper cutter and trim off 7mm from two sides of each gel. That allows them to fit perfectly in the plastic frames. The trick is to get the frames to properly snap together. I have definitely seen better plastic molding techniques. The fit is, shall we say, less than perfect, but functional.

All 12 filters are in their frames and happy.

Thanks for everyones help here,

Jim

C. D. Keth
27-Nov-2008, 00:54
John, Christopher and Peter,

Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll try clipping notches and if it becomes too big of a PITA I'll try some of Calumets cardboard holders.

It's funny that the packages of plastic Lee frames actually say "cardboard holders" on the packaging.

Christopher...I'm not familiar with "snot tape". It made me crack up when I read it though.

Jim

It's a thinner, better adhering version of the stuff that some magazine ads are taped into the magazine with. It's a clear, double sided tape. It comes with brown paper backing on both sides.

Keith Pitman
27-Nov-2008, 09:01
My frames are the self adhesive cardboard ones from Calumet, so I just snipped off the corners of the gels and put them between the frames and pressed closed. The Lee gel snap holder pop opens and the frames fit right in with no problems.

Does Calumet still make the cardboard holders? I couldn't find them on their website the last time I needed filter holders and ordered the Lee holders instead. I like the Calumet cardboard holders better. If someone has the part number or web link, I would appreciate it.

Jim Cole
27-Nov-2008, 16:30
Chris,

Thanks for the clarification!

John,

I'd like to know the part number for the cardboard holders as well. I have a feeling that these plastic ones will fail after a short time.