PDA

View Full Version : Eversmart+Adaptec2906 SCSI under Mac OS X

SergeyT
23-Nov-2008, 03:33
Im trying for some time already to make an Eversmart (Jazz+) work under Mac OS X (have 10.3 now) over SCSI interface with no success. I have two adaptec boards 2903B (2906)- came with the scanner and 2930CU - came with PowerMac G4.
Both boards work well with the scanner under mac OS 9.2.2. None works with Mac OS X.
The 2903B is not recognizable at all. While the 2930CU is recognized by the OS X. Twicking the Extensions set i can make my jazz appear as attached to the SCSI board under all 7 SCSI IDs at once, so there are 7 jazzes at once :). Or as a single instance, but the SCSI id would be wrong anyway. Needless to say that the install utils would crash each time i start them.
The Creo Release Notes say that the scanner is supported under Mac OS 10.2 with SCSI connection and supported under 10.3 with SCSI to FireWire adapter.
I do not have a SCSI to Firewire adapter and would prefer to use what i have at the moment - pure SCSI.
My plan is to downgarde to a Mac OS 10.2 but i would hate to spend my money and time on something that might not work.

Are there any Eversmart owners (i do not think this is just Jazz specific) who successfully run the scanners under mac os x with SCSI and not a FireWire connection? What Mac OS X, SCSI board and EvermartScan versions allow to achieve that?

Or do I have to get a SCSI to Firewire adapter? If yes, which one and what OS and EversmartScan i have to use with it?
Im sure i wont be able to get anything from Kodak, so that does not count :)

Thank you,
SergeyT.

George Kara
23-Nov-2008, 09:12
I use mine with 0s 9 and have an older computer dedicated to the scanner. It may be less hassle to go with the original configuration.

Kirk Gittings
23-Nov-2008, 11:23
I have the same setup as George.

Ben Hopson
23-Nov-2008, 11:57
If you do decide to go with the SCSI to Firewire adapter, you might search the yahoo scan-hi-end group. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ScanHi-End/ I have seen the adapters discussed there, but do not recall the specifics regarding them.

I have an Eversmart Supreme with oXYgen and like George and Kirk use the original configuration on OS 9.2.2.

Ben

SergeyT
23-Nov-2008, 13:50
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like i have to move to Mac OS X.
I do all processing on PC. I did buy Mac to run the scanner specifically. I seems cant make my Mac OS 9 to see my Windows over the network without investing into some old software. So i was using an USB drive to move my scans from Mac to PC. The USB on my Mac is version 1 meaning it is terribly slow. Plus i have dropped my usb drive and it is dead now. Between replacing the drive , buying an old software for OS 9, buying a SCSI to Firewire adapter (for mac os 10.3 which i have)and buying a Mac OS 10.2 the last two look most attractive. Just need some info on which one will definitely work.

Thanks again!

SergeyT
4-Dec-2008, 13:55
Quick update...
Have decided to go ahead with the FW to SCSI (http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/FR1SX.html) and it works!
The scanner install, checks, tables - all completed with no problem under OS X 10.3.