PDA

View Full Version : Calumet Roll film holder

beemermark
22-Nov-2008, 19:07
Need some advice on the Calumet Roll Film Holder, the one that slips in like a film holder. I had one of these a long, long time ago but could never really see any sense in shooting 120 in a 4x5 camera. Now I don't shoot roll film anymore and the wife is pestering me to get all that 120 film out of "her" freezer. I not interested in a Graphic type holder, too much trouble to focus, remove the back, put the holder on, shoot, etc. I'll probably use my Toyo 45AII with it.

Is there any problem using these? I really can't remember if I had any problems with mine back in 80's but then again I barely remember the 80's at all. I know it had one heck of a film path but............

lenser
22-Nov-2008, 23:13
I've got both the 6x7 and 6x12 versions and use them with little trouble. Be aware that occasionally you may get a very slight overlap of the images (usually not more than a couple of millimeters and rarely that. Also, if you are using 120 film, remember than you have to align the film arrows at the correct target and the same if you are using 220 film as the holder will use both.

I have found mine very easy and satisfactory to use with extremely sharp results on negs and transparencies.

This sample is from a test I did on a 47mm Super Angulon (old style) with the 6x12 and Tmax 100 film.

lenser
22-Nov-2008, 23:20
Sorry, I was in the quick reply mode. This is the image with the 6x12 version. Note the vignetting has nothing to do with the back. That is natural fall off with this super wide lens.

chy
23-Nov-2008, 10:09
I have the 6x7 version and it worked fine except for the uneven film frame separation. I haven't used it for a long time, but I don't remember overlaps in mine, just uneveness. I would also forget how to load it, so have a drawing of the film path kept with the holder. If you'd like, I can scan and post that and can also include the original instructions from Calumet which were faxed to me, so are not that clear but still readable. I also have the original clear acetate 6x7 film mask which I can measure for size and location of the 6x7 frame. It's better to use it and mark your ground glass with a Sharpie marker. I'm astounded I haven't lost mine yet!

beemermark
23-Nov-2008, 11:42
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the instructions would be nice. My email is beemermark@hotmail.com. The Toyo ground glass is permanently etched for 6x7 and 6x9.

lenser
23-Nov-2008, 11:51
Beemermark.

Your current ground glass markings may not coincide with the actual position of the roll holder. That huge hump at the end where both film spools reside, actually causes both of mine to seat about a quarter inch or so off center in my Zone Six, my Cambo SCX and my Calumet 400 Wide Angle series, so I suggest you take Chy up on his offer of the tracing of his acetate guide and then transfer that to your camera with the Sharpie.

That seems to happen according to how long the lift edge is on the ground glass frame, so your's may or may not seat perfectly. If you put the holder in and it doesn't quite reach to the far limit of the film holder frame edge, you know you've got the offset problem.

Tim

beemermark
23-Nov-2008, 15:37
Beemermark.

Your current ground glass markings may not coincide with the actual position of the roll holder. so I suggest you take Chy up on his offer of the tracing of his acetate guide and then transfer that to your camera with the Sharpie.

Tim
Thanks, that's the kind of info I need.

Chy, instead of mailing the acetate why don't you just trace it on paper and I can copy it. Or if your prefer to mail it send me an email and I'll send you my address.

chy
23-Nov-2008, 22:28
On Monday, I'll scan and post the instructions here so that it's available for everyone.

In a little while (an hour or less), I'll post a drawing of the acetate with measurements. The 6x7 rectangle is not centered within the nominal 4x5 acetate. It's slightly offset to one side, so it's doubtful your camera's ground glass markings would work. It does not work on my Sinar ground glass.

brad martin
23-Nov-2008, 22:58
Hope this is helpful. But with a pair a calipers and careful measurements I took a piece of matboard and cut it to the same dimensions as my groundglass protector. Then cut a window in that just a bit smaller than the exposed film area of my roll film holder. Its the calumet 6x9 version that I believe is currently sold.

I can then insert my matboard like I would my ground glass protector. I have an ebony rw45 mahogany. But I don't think the camera matters. I can then compose my scene through the window in the matboard. Once composed I remove the mat and insert the rollfilm holder. All is well.

I like the acetate idea but the matboard just inserts like the ground glass and its just so easy. I could also never bring myself the actually mark up the ground glass.

I bought mine from calumet new about 3 or 4 years ago and haven't had any issues with it. In my opinion the one they sent me was well made.

brad martin
23-Nov-2008, 23:01
quick correction.......... I like the acetate idea but the matboard just inserts like the ground glass protector

chy
24-Nov-2008, 00:27
Good idea, but with the acetate, you can also mark a matboard, tracing paper or whatever to insert over the groundglass as well. The acetate is just a guide.

I've measured my 6x7 acetate and posted in a separate post.

seepaert
28-Nov-2008, 10:36
Did you consider buying the Horseman 6x9 back. I own both that one and the Calumet 6x7 and I think the Horseman is far easier to operate and a little more precise.

Dan Fromm
28-Nov-2008, 13:23
But seepaert, does the Horseman roll holder attach to a Graflok back or does it slip in like a sheet film holder? Part of the Calumet roll holders' charm is that they can be used on cameras that have spring backs.

Cheers,

Dan

seepaert
3-Dec-2008, 04:01
But seepaert, does the Horseman roll holder attach to a Graflok back or does it slip in like a sheet film holder? Part of the Calumet roll holders' charm is that they can be used on cameras that have spring backs.

The horseman connects to the glaflok exactly the same as the calumet. The difference is in the route the film follows inside the back, which I find is easier to load.

The calumet was not purchased with the cambo, as the horseman was, but came from a non-working polaroid MP3 reproduction camera. I was very surprised to find out it fitted the cambo as well. I use the backs for color negatives, which I cannot develop myself, but can be processed in a consumer-laboratory very cheaply. Later on I started with color transparancies, which need a professional lab for processing.

Wally
28-Dec-2008, 22:16
The horseman connects to the glaflok exactly the same as the calumet. The difference is in the route the film follows inside the back, which I find is easier to load.

The Calumet 120/220 holder doesn't use graflok- it just slips under the GG like a regular 4x5 holder.