PDA

View Full Version : Fixing 8x10 sheet film holders

jon.oman
22-Nov-2008, 14:29
I acquired three used holders recently. One is perfectly fine, the other two have problems. For one, the flap side needs to be re-taped. That one is not a problem, since I can do that easily. For the second one, it appears that it was dropped at some point, breaking the 'weld' at the seam near the top/slide end of the holder.

Now, my question. The holder with the broken 'weld', is a Lisco Regal II. I assume I can just use some type of glue to bond it together at the seam. But, what type of glue should I use? It appears that the holder is made from a type of plastic, but I have no idea what type it is. Can anyone tell me what glue to use? Or, can I just use a 'hot stick' type glue on the seam?

Thanks, Jon

Mark Woods
22-Nov-2008, 14:31
I'd suggest a judicious use of epoxy to bond the joint. Hot glue is brittle and doesn't really hold that well.

MW

robert fallis
22-Nov-2008, 14:55
You don't say if they are wood or plastic, or what make, my plastic riteway developed the same sort of split, I used Humbrol liquid poly cement on it and it fixed it ok. But you really should test the cement somewhere on the holder to make sure it does'nt
disolve the plastic

bob

BarryS
22-Nov-2008, 15:23
Plastic epoxy is designed to be used with plastics and there's no danger of dissolving anything. I've used it for all sorts of camera-related repairs.

BennehBoy
23-Nov-2008, 06:12
Crazy glue worked just fine on one that I repaired.

ic-racer
23-Nov-2008, 10:02
I used polystyrene cement which 'welds' the crack closed.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=283867&postcount=88
In that link I used Movie Film cement. In currently have some Tenax cement for polystyrene that I like.

jon.oman
23-Nov-2008, 10:41
Thank you everyone for the tips! I'll let you know how the repairs go.

Jon

eddie
26-Nov-2008, 04:25
Thank you everyone for the tips! I'll let you know how the repairs go.

Jon

when you are done save yourself some money ad test it with some paper to be sure it is light tight.

i have used some two part epoxy that i use in my autobody repair shop, only to find out that it is not light tight! i made the mistake of thinking black=light tight! DOH! you can always put gaffers tape over the repair if you run into problems.

let us know how you do, and what you use so we know.

eddie

jon.oman
26-Nov-2008, 07:03
when you are done save yourself some money ad test it with some paper to be sure it is light tight.

i have used some two part epoxy that i use in my autobody repair shop, only to find out that it is not light tight! i made the mistake of thinking black=light tight! DOH! you can always put gaffers tape over the repair if you run into problems.

let us know how you do, and what you use so we know.

eddie

Thanks Eddie. I'm still working on my darkroom, so this will be a while. I'll let you know how it goes, when I get to it.

Jon

Doremus Scudder
26-Nov-2008, 10:24
Black PVC-pipe cement is what I use to re-glue the seams on damaged holders. Flat black rust-resistant spray paint for the metal film septums inside if the paint is coming off, and book-binding tape for the flap hinge (or gaffers' tape in a pinch).

Use a toothpick to apply the PVC cement and use it in a well-ventilated area. The result is light-tight. I am wary of glues that dry transparent...

Best,

Doremus Scudder

jon.oman
26-Nov-2008, 10:36
Black PVC-pipe cement is what I use to re-glue the seams on damaged holders. Flat black rust-resistant spray paint for the metal film septums inside if the paint is coming off, and book-binding tape for the flap hinge (or gaffers' tape in a pinch).

Use a toothpick to apply the PVC cement and use it in a well-ventilated area. The result is light-tight. I am wary of glues that dry transparent...

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Thanks Doremus, I'll add that to my list!

Jon

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2008, 10:48
I've patched holes in a lisco Regal with PC epoxy. Mix in a little black pigment (PC is gray color) and smooth it on, sand with fine paper when dry. WOrks like a charm! :)

jon.oman
26-Nov-2008, 10:56
I've patched holes in a lisco Regal with PC epoxy. Mix in a little black pigment (PC is gray color) and smooth it on, sand with fine paper when dry. WOrks like a charm! :)

Thanks for the tip John.

Jon