PDA

View Full Version : Sinar Norma Question.

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 05:05
As the Sinar Norma doesn`t have centre/axis tilt, only base tilt, would it be possible to fit the front end of a Sinar F, F1 or F2 depending on what`s available?

Bjorn Nilsson
22-Nov-2008, 05:18
The F, F1 ... also have base tilt. But yes, it's possible to combine these two different systems. (I once bought a Sinar C ("Combined"), with a Sinar P backend and a Norma front.)

//Björn

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 06:31
The F, F1 ... also have base tilt. But yes, it's possible to combine these two different systems. (I once bought a Sinar C ("Combined"), with a Sinar P backend and a Norma front.)

//Björn
If the F and F1 don`t have axis tilt, what about the F2?

Bjorn Nilsson
22-Nov-2008, 07:07
Ehh, I tried to indicate (with the ...) that all the F series models are constructed the same. I.e. you have a base tilt, and an axis swing.
The main difference between the F1 and F2 is that the F2 has separate locks for swing and horizontal shift. (The F and F1 has one lever to lock both these actions.) The earlier F front standart doesn't have any geared focusing knob. If you want to focus using the front, you have to slide it into position and then lock the standart with the lock underneath the rail. (The F front standart is also called "universal standart", intended for holding filters, compendiums etc. when used in studio with larger camera setups.)
I recon the reason for Sinar keeping with the base tilt solution is that the back standarts for both the F and the P series have scales which help you find the angles for both tilts and swings. You then transfer these readings from the back to the front and refocus. Once you've learnt it, it's very quick to work with, especially with a P/P2 back, but the P series is heavier and bulkier.

//Björn

Frank Petronio
22-Nov-2008, 07:33
Why would you want to downgrade? Base tilts are better anyway and the Norma is the best there is.

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 09:28
Why would you want to downgrade? Base tilts are better anyway and the Norma is the best there is.
Frank, because I would like the option of both axis as well as base tilt. The Norma is other wise a fine Camera. I have an 8x10 back for mine.:)

Frank Petronio
22-Nov-2008, 09:50
You could get a Horseman front standard and adapt it, or just get an entire Horseman (much easier) as it will take your lensboards and bellows, etc.

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 12:33
If I could get one for a reasonable price, would the front part of a P or P2 fit?:confused: I don`t want to buy into another system than Sinar.

CG
22-Nov-2008, 13:18
P and P2 front standards are same rail, same 4x5 bellows fitting. Should fit fine. I'm not so sure you'll get enough added utility as to be worth the cost, but you sound like you really want this change.

As far as I know, the only combinations that don't necessarily fit are the newer bellows designed for the metered backs vs the old style + size bellows and backs. Oh, and don't touch any of the Sinar Alpinas, different rail.

C

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 13:25
P and P2 front standards are same rail, same 4x5 bellows fitting. Should fit fine. I'm not so sure you'll get enough added utility as to be worth the cost, but you sound like you really want this change.

As far as I know, the only combinations that don't necessarily fit are the newer bellows designed for the metered backs vs the old style + size bellows and backs. Oh, and don't touch any of the Sinar Alpinas, different rail.

C
I`m only interested in the front part. I will keep the rest as it is. It`s just something that I`m considering and whether it`s worth while or not.

Frank Petronio
22-Nov-2008, 14:22
I think it will require some new holes, some bar stock, a tap, and maybe some duct tape ;-) Be sure to share some photos of the FrankenSinar afterwards!

The good thing is that Horseman cameras are cheap -- you could buy an entire camera and resell the extra parts to come out ahead on the deal. There is also the Inka which uses Sinar boards and bellows, although I forget the rail configuration, if you find one it may offer another option.

Keith Tapscott.
22-Nov-2008, 14:41
I think it will require some new holes, some bar stock, a tap, and maybe some duct tape ;-) Be sure to share some photos of the FrankenSinar afterwards!

The good thing is that Horseman cameras are cheap -- you could buy an entire camera and resell the extra parts to come out ahead on the deal. There is also the Inka which uses Sinar boards and bellows, although I forget the rail configuration, if you find one it may offer another option.
Thanks Frank. As the F-F2 only have base tilts, I will keep the Norma as it is after all.
I`ve yet to see a cheap 8x10 Horseman.

otzi
23-Nov-2008, 08:29
One small point probably worth noting is that the F's tilt is under the board. Where as the Norma in near the rail. When using considerable rise this difference becomes more obvious. The F is also yore free due to the swing being above the tilt. Axis tilt loose this advantage.

Keith Tapscott.
10-Dec-2008, 02:30
I saw this on ebay, but a bit expensive.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SINAR-P-FRONT-STANDARD-COMPLETE-4x5-FRAME-HOLDER-EXCELL_W0QQitemZ260328353851QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item260328353851&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A13%7C294%3A50

Clive Gray
10-Dec-2008, 13:36
The seller appears to be confused as that is the special heavy duty rear bearer intended for 10X8 but that one has a 5X4 frame on it.

I paid about £140 for one from a UK seller about a month ago and did see one go for £105 recently.

Keith Tapscott.
11-Dec-2008, 07:26
The seller appears to be confused as that is the special heavy duty rear bearer intended for 10X8 but that one has a 5X4 frame on it.

I paid about £140 for one from a UK seller about a month ago and did see one go for £105 recently.Thanks Clive, which dealer?

Clive Gray
12-Dec-2008, 00:01
Hi Kieth

Those were small private sellers on ebay, searching ebay UK for Sinar throws up two P front standards at the moment, one for £145 but it doesn't have the carrier frame and a second one for £324 that does.

It is a front standard I believe you are looking for? also if you have a 10X8 back you would ideally be looking for the special front standard that has additional front rise.

As far as dealers are concerned MrCad in Croydon might be worth a try as they have a lot of Sinar gear and currently a half price sale on secondhand equipment.