PDA

View Full Version : Rigging up focal plane shutter release

Akki14
20-Nov-2008, 20:54
Hi there,

I have a slight problem. I have a very old Top Handle Speed Graphic (4x5) that doesn't have the body release for the focal shutter plane and I've had a good think for a day or so now about how I could rig up some string or something to get it to release (for self portrait purposes). Does anyone have any ideas? This is what the side looks like:
http://www.stargazy.org/4x5side.jpg
The lever needs to go towards the back but because it's a springback, the string would have to go outwards beyond the sticking out bit of the film holder too. I'm thinking I may need to hook up some sort of L bracket to hold the string outwards... Any better ideas would be welcomed.

Jon Shiu
20-Nov-2008, 23:10
Hi, see the stop where the trigger is? Can you screw in a air bulb release there? or a self-timer mechanism?

Jon

Akki14
21-Nov-2008, 03:28
I'm not sure what "stop" you can see... So no I don't see it. There's no place for anything to screw into besides the tripod mounts on the bottom and side.

Ash
21-Nov-2008, 05:10
The little bit of metal that the lever arm rests against, it should have a hole in it, that you screw a cable release onto

Akki14
21-Nov-2008, 08:43
The little bit of metal that the lever arm rests against, it should have a hole in it, that you screw a cable release onto

It really does not. This is a very old speed graphic (1912, Top Handle) so it does not have any hole there for remote shutter release, if you look at the photo...