PDA

View Full Version : Will a Fuji PA-45 fit on a Zone VI 4x5?

mohan
20-Nov-2008, 05:23
hi,

I am considering buying a Fuji PA-45 Instantfilm holder and wonder if it will fit on a Zone VI 4x5 camera. I just want to make sure it won't be too thick to fit in the camera before I go ahead and buy one online.

Thanks for any tips.

Regards

Mohan

Louie Powell
20-Nov-2008, 05:57
I specifically asked a Calumet sales person about Polaroid holders before I bought my camera, and they assured me that there would be no problem.

After purchasing the camera, I used it with a Polaroid 405 back in a workshop. It was tight but it did fit. However, there was an unexpected problem - the space between the darkslide handle and the back of the camera is so tight that my fat fingers tended to inadvertently lift the holder away from the camera back when I pulled the darkslide, causing one edge of the film to be fogged. Once I realized what was happening, I was able to avoid the problem, but it was frustrating getting to that point.

Do you know the dimensions of the PA-45? If the PA-45 is no thicker than the Polaroid 405, I don't think you will have a major problem - but there is always that learning curve issue.

more photography
20-Nov-2008, 06:13
hi,

I am considering buying a Fuji PA-45 Instantfilm holder and wonder if it will fit on a Zone VI 4x5 camera. I just want to make sure it won't be too thick to fit in the camera before I go ahead and buy one online.

Thanks for any tips.

Regards

Mohan

Th PA-45 is about 1'' thick, and on more recent cameras should slide behing the GG like any film holder, It it tight be should work, alternativley the holder will fit on any camera with international back fit, graflock type, remove the GG and fit the holder.

I don't know if Zone VI have this facility. but the PA-45 works on my Arca.

One extra thing - this holder will takes the larger instant film packs c45 only, which are twice the price.

venchka
20-Nov-2008, 06:20
The Polaroid 550 back, which accepts Fuji 4x5 instant material, is a very tight fit on my Vermont made Zone VI camera. My Grafmatic back is slightly thinner than the 505 back. It also slides under the ground glass with a bit of fiddling. However, the Grafmatic doesn't seal properly with the camera back. I ruined a few sheets of HP5+ before I figured that out.

I am reluctant to use the Polaroid 550 back on the Zone VI camera for the above reasons. If anyone has had good luck with the 550 back on a Zone VI camera please let me know.

Louie Powell
20-Nov-2008, 06:59
Th PA-45 is about 1'' thick,

The Polaroid 405 is 17/16" thick and does fit (just barely) in a Zone VI Lightweight.

Gene McCluney
20-Nov-2008, 10:30
Whether the pack-film backs will "fit" on a 4x5 view camera depends on the "style" of springs the back has. Most modern view cameras have a style of ground glass back using coil springs with an arm that attaches to the ground glass back and these have a wide range of opening. Older view cameras that have the brass leaf springs visible may or may not spread wide enough. I have no issues using the 4x5 pack-film back on my Sinar P-expert studio camera.

mohan
28-Dec-2008, 16:27
So..I bought the PA-45 and it fits in the back of the Zone VI. But it is quite thick compared to a Fidelity film holder.

I wonder if the repetitive use of the PA-45 will 'wear out' the springs in the back of the camera that hold the film holder in place. I want to use the PA-45 for a while (atleast a few hundred exposures) till I get the hang of LF, exposure etc.

Will the leaf springs wear out so much that in the future when i start to use single sheet film holders, there will be problems to have a light-tight fit?

Thanks for any insight.

venchka
29-Dec-2008, 17:25
Only Richrad Ritter might know for sure. Give him a call.