PDA

View Full Version : Latest photoshop version

ignatiusjk
19-Nov-2008, 17:54
Does anybody know what the latest version of Photoshop is I have no:5. Is there a version 6? Also if so how much?

darr
19-Nov-2008, 18:08
Photoshop version 11 is now CS4. Maybe you mean Photoshop Elements?

Scott Knowles
20-Nov-2008, 06:59
Adobe is up to PS Elements 7 (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/?promoid=BPDEM) now

Steve Sample
13-Apr-2010, 22:57
How does Photoshop Elements version 7 compare to the full Photoshop 7.0? I have Photoshop 7.0 and want to upgrade, but can't afford newest CS 4 version. Thanks, Steve

rdenney
14-Apr-2010, 05:16
How does Photoshop Elements version 7 compare to the full Photoshop 7.0? I have Photoshop 7.0 and want to upgrade, but can't afford newest CS 4 version. Thanks, Steve

Elements 7.0 is much newer than Photoshop v. 7.0. It was after version 7.0 that Adobe released the "Creative Suite"--ala Photoshop CS. They are up to CS4 now.

I used PS 7.0 for a while and I'm trying to remember the differences between it and CS, and then CS4, which was my next upgrade. The only thing I remember that is significant in use is the automatic adjustment layers from its own pane. That pane includes a useful black and white adjustment layer that serves as a channel mixer, but of course you can do that in 7.0, too, though without the convenient tool pane. I used adjustment layers before, but this makes it a bit more convenient. I think I switched to CS in part to obtain the ability to use unsharp masking on 16-bit files, but maybe 7.0 did that as well. After a while they all run together.

Once you get down below these big features, there are more differences, but the big features consume my skills in any case.

My main reason for switching to CS was to gain a newer version of Adobe Camera Raw for converting RAW files from my digital cameras, picking the images easily using Adobe Bridge. ACR was upgraded further in CS4, providing more features. But I find that Bridge in CS4 is so slow on my machine that I end up using Breezebrowser for my initial review, and then doing the raw conversion in the file. I guess Adobe is in the computer sales biz.

Rick "who probably needs a new computer" Denney

Tom Monego
14-Apr-2010, 06:49
Photoshop Elements is up to ver 8. Element is essentially a slightly dumbed down Photoshop with most of the PS features. The one thing missing (I have Elements 7 at work, PSCS4 Suite at home) is a similar curves function to PS, Elements has curves but it is not nearly as nice.
PSCS5 is coming out in a month or so. I have done an every other PS version upgrade since PS3. If you are just using just PS the upgrades are a all most a bargain, now that Adobe is restricting the upgrades to 2 (3?) versions they really have folks over a barrel.
I'm liking Bridge in PSCS4, far faster than Bridge was in PSCS2.

Tom

Brian Ellis
14-Apr-2010, 07:06
My understanding is that Adobe allows upgrades from 3 versions back. Thus someone with CS2 will be able to upgrade to CS5. Someone with CS can't. Just what I've read, I always upgrade with each new version so I haven't actually experienced the situation. Back in the days of numbered versions of Photoshop (e.g. PS4) it didn't seem that every new version was worth an upgrade but for me they all have been since CS was released.

If Bridge is going slowly for anyone I think it's probably a computer problem, not a Bridge problem. Bridge flies on my 8 gig quad PC.