PDA

View Full Version : New Epson Scanner?

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2008, 09:42
http://www.ausmedia.com.au/Epson_V900_Photo_Scanner.htm

Looks like similar specs as the 700/750?

bglick
19-Nov-2008, 09:56
Wow, just when you thought film was dead, a new film scanner!

Very impressive specs.... at $1k, (from what I can tell) the specs are excellent... who knows, maybe the advancements in digital capture have filtered down into lower end scanners....should be very interesting to see some tests done with this scanner...

Lenny Eiger
19-Nov-2008, 11:35
Wow, just when you thought film was dead, a new film scanner!

Very impressive specs.... at $1k, (from what I can tell) the specs are excellent... who knows, maybe the advancements in digital capture have filtered down into lower end scanners....should be very interesting to see some tests done with this scanner...

Don't hold your breath. It is Epson, after all. Dynamic Range of 4.2? In their dreams, total bunk. Sorry to be so negative, but I get tired of outlandish claims. In many other threads on this forum the specs of the 750 have been argued over, and hopefully settled.

Lenny

sanking
19-Nov-2008, 12:05
This scanner must be the real thing. In addition to the high dynamic range of 4.2 it says right there that it is designed for professionla work with quality rivaling many drum scanners.

"Tailored specifically to meet the high level requirements of scanning professionals, the Epson PERFECTION V900 PHOTO incorporates new and refined technologies that work in tandem to provide a fast, total scanning solution with quality rivalling many drum scanners."

Folks might as well start dumping their old drum scanners and professional flatbeds while the equipment is still worth something.

Sandy King

Marko Vrabec
19-Nov-2008, 12:19
Khmm... http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=40068

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2008, 12:23
Sorry, I did a search for variations of Epson 900 and nothing turned up.

Brian Stein
19-Nov-2008, 15:31
This scanner must be the real thing. In addition to the high dynamic range of 4.2 it says right there that it is designed for professionla work with quality rivaling many drum scanners.

"Tailored specifically to meet the high level requirements of scanning professionals, the Epson PERFECTION V900 PHOTO incorporates new and refined technologies that work in tandem to provide a fast, total scanning solution with quality rivalling many drum scanners."

Folks might as well start dumping their old drum scanners and professional flatbeds while the equipment is still worth something.

Sandy King

And given the A$ is in the doldrums and shipping the damn thing to the ends of the earth where there is a midget market thats going to be about US$450. Sell, sell, sell ;-)

Annie M.
19-Nov-2008, 15:52
Ok so what is the best thing to do for a person (me) that has never used a scanner before... wait 2 months for the new one to be released? For those that have followed along with the Epsons do the new models represent a significant leap in scan quality... will waiting for LED light source of this model make a difference? Or.... do I wait and avail myself of the outdated V750 which I assume will be readily available at reduced pricing... any thoughts?

Kirk Gittings
19-Nov-2008, 15:58
Annie, There has been no official announcement of a release date of the new scanner. So it could be a long while.

Annie M.
19-Nov-2008, 16:04
I talked to epson canada just now and they 'hinted' that I wait a few months... they may just have been trying to get me off the phone though... I was being rather persistent... he did put me on hold for quit a while and came back with the 2 month thing... I have no idea if he actually talked to marketing. (Epson Canada)

Ash
19-Nov-2008, 16:06
That image is the v700. Looks like rumor to me.

Annie M.
19-Nov-2008, 16:10
Ash... when I talked to Epson they seemed to have bought into the rumor as well... go figure

Eric James
19-Nov-2008, 16:14
Good news! A new Epson scanner would not surprise me - we've been seeing rebates on the V700 and V750 for some time now. I'm wondering if there will be a V950 as well.

Of course it won't be a replacement for a drum scan, but I have dozens of 4X5s that don't warrant shelling out for a high quality scan. How many times does 135 go into 1000 Lenny:)

PenGun
19-Nov-2008, 16:59

Sandy King

Now this is a good example of the "straight troll" ... eh'. ;)

Michael Chmilar
19-Nov-2008, 17:54

If anyone has a high-end flatbed they wish to give me, I will split the shipping with you. (I already have a drum scanner, so "no thanks" on those.)

Ron Marshall
19-Nov-2008, 18:15
If anyone has a high-end flatbed they wish to give me, I will split the shipping with you. (I already have a drum scanner, so "no thanks" on those.)

One place where Epson has the drumscanners beat: lower shipping cost.

Paul Kierstead
19-Nov-2008, 22:40
One place where Epson has the drumscanners beat: lower shipping cost.

I think you mean lower than the shipping cost.

mark e mark
10-Aug-2009, 13:39
Any more info on this scanner. In B+W photography this month, they say it is due soon?

Harley Goldman
11-Aug-2009, 15:52
If you put your cursor over the image, it says V700.