PDA

View Full Version : Is the Deardorff 8X10 take the same lens board as kodak 2D?

dng88
18-Nov-2008, 16:29
Just got a DEARDORFF 8X10 as an upgrade to my kodak 2D :) . May I ask any help whether they take the same lens board. If not, I have to get some. Thanks for any help in advance.

eddie
18-Nov-2008, 17:38
the deardorff has rounded corners. the 2D does not. all you will need to do is round the 2D's corners and you will be in business. i have found that the rounded corner boards also work on many 2Ds as well. YMMV

eddie

Jim Galli
18-Nov-2008, 17:45
Also the relief area on the 2D is 1/8 inch and the 'dorff is 3/16 so the Deardorff boards are too fat to slide into the 2D. Maddening. I have both cameras also. They really are not interchangeable.

eddie
18-Nov-2008, 17:48
Also the relief area on the 2D is 1/8 inch and the 'dorff is 3/16 so the Deardorff boards are too fat to slide into the 2D. Maddening. I have both cameras also. They really are not interchangeable.

too bad for you.....sounds like the lens boards gods are against you! i have a deardorff board with a tiny little 180mm protar that fit(s) on my 2D, century universal, and the adapter board i made for my 11x1! i guess i got some good luck at times.....BUT i never have tried it on a dorf.......

Jim Galli
18-Nov-2008, 17:52
too bad for you.....sounds like the lens boards gods are against you! i have a deardorff board with a tiny little 180mm protar that fit(s) on my 2D, century universal, and the adapter board i made for my 11x1! i guess i got some good luck at times.....BUT i never have tried it on a dorf.......

You can router the 16th inch off the Deardorff boards so they fit into the 2D but then they wobble around in the Deardorff. Not good.

Don Dudenbostel
18-Nov-2008, 18:14
Not all Deardorff 8x10 boards are round corners. My particular one uses square corners. It's one of 5 in an early transition cameras per Jack Deardorff. The bed dimensions were different than the early ones and were a transition to front swing cameras. MY camera originally had no front swings. Jack also tole me there were some contract cameras with square corners. If I remember correctly they were military models.

C. D. Keth
18-Nov-2008, 18:56
You can router the 16th inch off the Deardorff boards so they fit into the 2D but then they wobble around in the Deardorff. Not good.

You could route your board thinner and put some felt in to take up the extra space on the dorff's front standard.

Brian Ellis
19-Nov-2008, 10:26
Not all Deardorff 8x10 boards are round corners. My particular one uses square corners. It's one of 5 in an early transition cameras per Jack Deardorff. The bed dimensions were different than the early ones and were a transition to front swing cameras. MY camera originally had no front swings. Jack also tole me there were some contract cameras with square corners. If I remember correctly they were military models.

The "military" Deardorffs take square corners because when the Air Force ordered a batch of 8x10s they wanted to be able to use their Kodak (or maybe it was Agfa) square cornered boards on their Deardorff cameras. My first Deardorff was a military model. When I had the brass replated the guy who took the camera apart to do the replating said the camera looked like it had been in water at some point. I always imagined a pilot going down over water but surviving and saving the Deardorff.

dng88
19-Nov-2008, 18:21
Thanks all. I got 4 Kodak lens boards and it seems I may have to wait and try to cut some corners first.

Don Wilkes
20-Nov-2008, 12:28
In case folks have forgotten, there's quite a nice summary of lensboard specs at S.K. Grimes: http://www.skgrimes.com/lensboards/index.htm

Neal Shields
20-Nov-2008, 14:31
I also have both cameras and gave up trying to standardize.

EuGene Smith
20-Nov-2008, 21:33
I have both, too, and since Neal gave up on standardizing them I guess I might as well get the woodworking tools out and make separate types of boards for each, then buy more lenses from Galli to make separate kits. :o