PDA

View Full Version : Ilfochrome

Noeyedear
17-Nov-2008, 07:57
Does it still exist ? If I google Ilfochrome it comes up as a product http://www.ilford.com/en/products/ilfochrome/front-lit.asp I thought it had been discontinued some time ago. This is the Ciba process I'm thinking of.
Kevin.

David A. Goldfarb
17-Nov-2008, 08:14
Yes, it's not terribly well marketed, and availability can be spotty, but you can still do it.

Nathan Potter
17-Nov-2008, 08:28
Yes it still exists. I still use it so I guess I'm somewhat of a dinosaur. I also make digital prints but I prefer the Ilfochromes by a bit for certain chromes. It is expensive as hell now (a 16 X20 runs about $40 for paper and chemistry).

I buy paper from B&H in NY and stop by and pick up the chemistry on the way thru the city. They won't ship anymore. If you're lucky you may be able to order the chemistry by the case from a local photo house.

Both film and chemistry age quickly so for precise work an every six month check on color balance is necessary, (I use a CC filter matrix for this).

There are still a fair number of workers using this material although there don't seem to be many forum members here currently involved. Maybe that's because it's such a PITA to use most people have no time left to fool around with forums.

If you want a personal challenge and some occasionally stunning results I certainly would recommend the material.

Nate Potter, Winter Harbor Me.

mcd
17-Nov-2008, 23:16
I never found Cibachrome or Ilfochrome to be difficult to use. The temperature is easy to maintain and the processing a breeze in the motorized daylight tank.

Yes it still exists. I still use it so I guess I'm somewhat of a dinosaur. I also make digital prints but I prefer the Ilfochromes by a bit for certain chromes. It is expensive as hell now (a 16 X20 runs about $40 for paper and chemistry).

I buy paper from B&H in NY and stop by and pick up the chemistry on the way thru the city. They won't ship anymore. If you're lucky you may be able to order the chemistry by the case from a local photo house.

Both film and chemistry age quickly so for precise work an every six month check on color balance is necessary, (I use a CC filter matrix for this).

There are still a fair number of workers using this material although there don't seem to be many forum members here currently involved. Maybe that's because it's such a PITA to use most people have no time left to fool around with forums.

If you want a personal challenge and some occasionally stunning results I certainly would recommend the material.

Nate Potter, Winter Harbor Me.

Bill_1856
18-Nov-2008, 01:47
After fighting with making Dye Transfers for 30 years, Cibachrome (Ilfochrome) was a piece of cake for me. Really beautiful stuff.
I wonder what Christopher Burkett is using these days?

David A. Goldfarb
18-Nov-2008, 05:04
Still printing Ilfochrome, according to his website.

Noeyedear
18-Nov-2008, 05:38
Still printing Ilfochrome, according to his website.

OK, so if I should have a mental moment and decide to give it a go, how and where in the UK do I go to get the stuff?
The UK link on the site had no idea what I was talking about when I called. And what is the expected print life of a Ciba?

Kevin

Bobf
18-Nov-2008, 06:33
OK, so if I should have a mental moment and decide to give it a go, how and where in the UK do I go to get the stuff?
The UK link on the site had no idea what I was talking about when I called. And what is the expected print life of a Ciba?

KevinIn the UK, even Silverprint no longer stock it but their site says they can get it in a week from the importer. Never tried it myself but have seen prints made with it - beautiful.

Nathan Potter
18-Nov-2008, 10:23
Well Ilfochrome is a snap compared to a Dye Transfer process and in its simplest form is easy to use. I was kinda referring to the complication of using masks to control contrast whenever that is necessary.

I think the lifetime for a print may be on the order of 40 years but I'm not sure about what the fade spec is for 40 year life. (0.15D reflection density change)?

My oldest prints, 33 yrs., show no visual density change in RG or B. They've been hung in subdued light continuously. One control print has a tiny patch of archival black mat over the three color areas so I can watch the fading.

Nate Potter, Winter Harbor ME.

Bill_1856
18-Nov-2008, 10:44
Instead of fading, my prints on the (early) Cibachrome have actually darkened just a little, which I can tell because the same prints that were lacquered seem to be still perfect.
Incidentally, a great deal of the need for contrast masking can be eliminated by using Selectol Soft instead of the Ciba kit developer.

Drew Wiley
18-Nov-2008, 11:07
I still work in Ciba, though not exclusively. The paper doesn't keep well and usually
requires advance ordering. It will shift color senstivity with age. So a freezer is helpful.
The P-3 chemsitry keeps better, and you can mix it one-shot per print. Most drum
processors work fine. But it's a pretty rare transparency that doesn't need masking
control; and decent masking gear is a bit of an investment. You will also need a relatively powerful light source and fast enlarging lens. It's a slow material. Most important is good ventilation. The sulfuric acid bleach is nasty stuff. You can instantly
neutralize it with a little baking soda, but you do not want to breathe it. I actually load
my drums in the darkroom then do the development outdoors (my 30x40 drum processor is on a wheeled cart). I know a couple of lab owners from the heyday of Ciba who have ruined their health from too much exposure. There's a lot of controversy
over the permanence. In proper dark storage it's extemely stable. But it doesn't like UV, such as direct sunlight or halogens. On the other hand, I've had Cibas hung in
INDIRECT mountain sunlight for over twenty-five years and they still look new. Residential tungsten lighting seem fine too. A beautiful material once you master it.
Large Ciba prints are difficult to mount without serious gear, and have a fragile surface. One last thing - I recommend meticulous darkroom habits. No dust. Ciba can be a nightmare to retouch.