PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose which one to keep

Padu Merloti
16-Nov-2008, 18:41
I recently bought a new 4x5 body and it came with a Rodenstock Sironar 210 (not the APO I guess). I already have a Schneider Symmar 180mm convertible.

If it were you, would you keep both or sell one of them?

Erik Larsen
16-Nov-2008, 18:45
I would keep them until you figure out which one you like more and then make the decision or not to dispose of one.
regards
Erik

Ron Marshall
16-Nov-2008, 18:56
What Erik said. There's no rush. You may find you much prefer one to another.

Rafael Garcia
16-Nov-2008, 18:58
I have the Rodenstock Sironar in 150mm and the Schneider Symmar in 210-370mm. My Sironar's image circle is very limited, while the Symmar's is adequate for 5x7. This doesn't mean your focal lengths will behave the same way, but of my two I prefer the Symmar.

Brian Stein
16-Nov-2008, 21:26
My no-regret technique in this situation is to have both available in the bag for a couple of outings and make a preliminary decision. Then use only the lens you would have kept for several outings and see if you miss the other. If you do, reverse the process. Personally Im hopeless and end up keeping pretty much all of them :rolleyes:

Frank Petronio
16-Nov-2008, 21:57
What other lenses might you have? Having a 150 or 240 would make a big difference....

Some combinations seem to work well for a lot of people, like a 90-180 or a 135-210.... Others think it is too large a jump.

A 180 should have plenty of image circle for most 4x5 shots. The 210 will have even more. Symmars and Sironars are fairly close in price/circle/quality-wise for the same era of lens.

Of course the one that shoots the best looking photos -- in terms of sharpness, bokeh, having a better shutter, or other qualities -- is the one that you should keep.

Oren Grad
16-Nov-2008, 22:22
If I were just getting started in 4x5 and needed to watch the budget, I'd sell them both, buy a 150 Apo-Sironar-N or Caltar II-N, and use the change to pay for film and processing.

John Kasaian
16-Nov-2008, 23:01
IMHO you shouldn't have to resort to asking others this question (it is sort of like asking the internet which pants you should wear!) Try both and the one you find that you use the most will likely be the answer to your question :)

C. D. Keth
17-Nov-2008, 00:25
After a few trips out check your notes and see if you used one much more than the other.

neil poulsen
17-Nov-2008, 00:38
I like my lenses spaced fairly tightly, but even I think those are too closely spaced.

Use both and determine which you like the best, and sell the other.