PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Lanovia

Tim Shawcross
14-Nov-2008, 23:48
Hi there,

I've been looking to buy a used pro scanner for some time. It looks like I may have the option on bidding on a Fuji Lanovia 550C scanner at an auction house.

I don't know all that much about the Fuji scanner. I'd like to buy a used drum (Howtek 4500 is top of my list), but being in Australia, and it's very rare to see any pro level scanners for sale second hand. Given this is the case, if the price is right the Fuji might be a good option.

For any owners or those in the know, could you share some light on the following questios:

1. The scanner weighs around 150Kg. Is the scanner itself detachable from the stand, or is it one soild uint? If it is detachable, any idea how much the the stand and scanner weigh separately?

2. I had a look at the collective scan comparison. The Fuji scans seem to have good Dmax, but the also appear very soft when compared to say the eversmart, cezanne or any of the drums. If anyone has used the scanner, can you comment on how sharp the scans are from it are in your experience?

3. Any idea if the software allows 16 bit saves?

Thanks

tim

Marco Annaratone
15-Nov-2008, 02:53
Hi,

I have just used a Lanovia 550C in the past month. Before I summarize my experience, a few caveats: (1) I am no expert in high-end scanning and (2) the unit had been left in a corner of the office for about four years.

The scanner was attached to a Mac G4 via a SCSI interface. I was scanning 6x17 negs and positives by just placing them on the glass of the scanner and putting on top of them a heavy glass that was coming with the Lanovia. So, no wet mount.

The software of the scanner is not intuitive. For instance, there is no way to say "I want to scan at 3200ppi": you have to specify the enlargement and other parameters and from them you can derive the scan resolution. No big deal, anyway, you get used to it. Preview works fine and you can queue several job so that you do not have to attend the unit.

The scanner was scanning at 16 bits but generating files with 8 bits per pixel. I was unable to have the scanner output 16-bit per pixel files; I contacted the folks at the High-end Scanning Users' Group, got some help, but no luck.

I kept having memory problems with such big scans (about 700MB each). The G4 had 265MB of memory. After one or two scans the unit (I mean the Lanovia-Apple setup) would freeze. A reboot would bring things back to normal. It looked like an IT issue, not a Lanovia issue (memory overrun, SCSI synch, who knows).

I was told (no idea how reliable this info is) that the unit needed a major SW and HW upgrade to bring it up to speed. The HW would mean a Firewire interface, the SW - among many other things - the ability to output 16-bit pixel files. Ballpark: a few thousand euros. However, the unit is no longer 'officially' supported in Italy, Fuji has dropped it from its product portfolio. Maybe there is some technician around who can do the maintenance and the upgrade, but I did not investigate this.

You can see a straight scan below with some details at 100%. Scanning resolution was about 4000ppi. As much as I was impressed by the scans, fighting with the setup was too much of a pain, so I decided to rely on a small lab that uses a brand new Creo Evermart Supreme. The scanner does make a difference, but the operator makes a world of difference, and I do not have time to become proficient at that, I'd rather have a pro do it for me when I need it.

When the unit was working - and factoring in my sheer incompetence - it was pretty clear that we are talking about a superb piece of machinery, no question about it. I am sure you will be happy with it, but do get a good idea of what complications come with it first (support, HW and SW situation, etc).

Hope this helped a bit.

Cheers!

http://www.resonantlink.com/fotoavv/goldengate1.jpg

http://www.resonantlink.com/fotoavv/gg1.jpg

http://www.resonantlink.com/fotoavv/gg2.jpg

http://www.resonantlink.com/fotoavv/gg3.jpg

BennehBoy
16-Dec-2008, 06:41
I've also got a chance of getting one of these - perhaps even free of charge: the down side is that the motor has failed, it's a long shot but does anyone know if it would be economical to repair?

Gordon Moat
16-Dec-2008, 12:08
Parts are a little tough to find, though in theory a very good electronics repair place should be able to fix one. In other words, you don't necessarily need Fuji to repair this, though you might need them for parts. If Fuji does the repair, then expect the cost to be high. Also, do not buy one without the software and dongle (hardware key).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Joerg Krusche
17-Dec-2008, 15:40
Tim,

1.the scanner top is not detachable.

2. with regard to sharpness the Lanovia is in the same class as the Cezanne, Eversmart Pro, they all resolve a little over 2500 ppi as tested on a USAF test chart.

3. Running the Lanovia is as easy or difficult as with the Cezanne or Eversmart.

4. If you can get one at reasonable price .. ok .. it is a very well built machine.. an absolutely different class compared to prosumer devices .. repair though may no longer be possible .. and if so it will cost a bit .. but it is a machine to run.

best

joerg

timparkin
22-Jun-2013, 13:30
Tim,

1.the scanner top is not detachable.

2. with regard to sharpness the Lanovia is in the same class as the Cezanne, Eversmart Pro, they all resolve a little over 2500 ppi as tested on a USAF test chart.

3. Running the Lanovia is as easy or difficult as with the Cezanne or Eversmart.

4. If you can get one at reasonable price .. ok .. it is a very well built machine.. an absolutely different class compared to prosumer devices .. repair though may no longer be possible .. and if so it will cost a bit .. but it is a machine to run.

best

joerg

Don't want to ressurect a thread but it's worth saying that the resolution of the Lanovia seems to be about 3000-3500 dpi from what I can see. The Screen Cezanne hits nearly 6000dpi. These are based on my own scanner and with reference to the results from my own Howtek 4500.

The Lanovia is actually easier than the Cezanne as the software is definitely more stable on Mac OSX. The Color genius runs on a server client mode and isn't so stable - it crashes occasionally. The Cezanne also does some funky stuff with colour in hardward to increase saturation but this can't be switched off and it makes it very difficult to properly profile the scanner (still experimenting).

Repair is always possible and there are lots of units around second hand as a source for parts - I bought two Fuji lanovia C-550s just so I had a set of spares for one good one :-)

The scanner top is detachable but you need to remove the power supply at the back and there is a chance that the scanner would need recalibrating for dimensional stability (the scanner base could change warp when removed).

The scanner will also scan at 16 bit no problem

Tim

Don Dudenbostel
22-Jun-2013, 19:38
I had a Finescan 5000 and Lanovia Quattro Fuji for about eight years and made thousands of excellent scans from 35mm to 11x14 B&W negs. The 5000 & Lanovia Quattro are basically the same with the LQ being faster and may have a very slight edge on Dmax. The CCD and 4 lenses are the same. Both are XY axis scanners and autofocus up to 10mm of depth. There's really not much difference.

Last year I sold the remaining scanner, the Lanovia Quattro. I must say they produce as good a scan as I've seen from any pro level flatbed.

The bad part, they require a specific dongle for the OS you're rumming. No dongle equals a boat anchor not a scanner. Software is excellent IMO and does exactly what a software should. No corrections in the scan software just acquiring the image. Corrections are done in another Fuji app called color kit or photoshop if you like. Unfortunately the software will not run on OS newer than OSX 10.4 or windows XP. Both require different software and dongles with specific serial. Umbers to unlock them. I had dongles and software for os9, X and xp. No the xp will not run on a Mac with xp loaded ???? But no it won't.

Repairs and parts are tough. I had spare bulbs, parts, calibration negs & engineering manual. A Fuji tech taught me to work on them and diagnose problems. Fujis terrible about long strings of numbers and letters to unlock things including setup and diagnostics. (FFEI) is the code to unlock diagnostics and setup.

You MUST have their color and tonal setup print and 35mm neg. you must also have the full platten calibration neg for focus, XY calibration and etc. These are not easy to come by and without them the machine will not give its best scans.

You must have the Fuji software. No other software will run these machines, not silverfast or any other app.

I purchased a spare 5000 for parts and when my original 5000 died I was going to repair it till I discovered the part I needed was missing from the spare. The 5000 ran perfect for a out six years of consistent use. I gave the machine to a tech that I bought the Lanovia Quattro from and used the LQ for a few more years. I finally sold it and bought a Hasselblad scanner. Space is soon to become an issue and the Fuji machines are quite large and heavy.

The short story is they are as good as it gets but only if you get all the software, dongle, security codes, calibration negs and print. The books will be invaluable too.

I oth are FireWire and run very stable with the correct OS. Very reliable and consistent.