PDA

View Full Version : Jobo drum question

Steve M Hostetter
14-Nov-2008, 09:16
Hello,,,

I have a problem with keeping the chem cup attached to the lid...

What kind of silicone does it take to weld the cup to the cap...? Where do I get it.?

Thx
Steve

venchka
14-Nov-2008, 13:19
Which lid and cup do you have? Here's what I know about the lid that I have for the 2840 print drum:

The cup attaches to the underside of the lid with a twisting motion. The cup is interchangeable with the baffle with a hole in it for use on a tank with film reels. There is a gap between the cup or baffle and the lid. This allows liquids to enter and leave and also serves to vent the tank so that you can pour liquids out.

I don't know if that helps at all. Gluing the cup to the lid might prevent it from working at all.

Good luck!

Erik Larsen
14-Nov-2008, 16:20
Steve, On my lid, it takes a bit of force to turn the cup and "snap" it in to position. Perhaps you haven't turned it all the way to snap it in place.
Erik

Steve M Hostetter
14-Nov-2008, 18:11
Hello,,,

This lid was purchaced on ebay and it appears to be rigged so that it works for a long enough time so that the piece of shit that sold it to me will get positive feedbeck before I notice what he done...
I have sent the guy a message asking for a new lid and if he doesn't want to make it good I will put his ebay name up in here so that others don't make the same mistake I did...
Steve

venchka
15-Nov-2008, 17:29
Sorry for your bad luck.

I swore off ebay. I've been very happy since.

Steve M Hostetter
15-Nov-2008, 17:57
Thx Wayne,,,

No biggy ,,, everything else works ok,, I just have a lot of time in dealing with the lid .. More of a pain then I needed while trying to learn processing

venchka
15-Nov-2008, 22:52
Is the cup broken or the lid? The lids are all the same. I reckon the cup must be broken. I hope you find one. I got mine by accident when I bought a 2840 print drum. It came with the correct lid and cup. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known the difference and would have a useless 2840 drum.

LF_rookie_to_be
21-Jan-2012, 07:02
Expert drum cap mod. A simple gardening cup cut to size and epoxied. Pics show first just the cup with 400ml of liquid sitting on top of a open 3010, and then the finished cap raised about 5mm (using a slim CD box) for illustration. Cap's rim fits some 3mm deep, enough for easy application of the DIYer's best fried, the gaffer tape.

LF_rookie_to_be
21-Jan-2012, 07:05

LF_rookie_to_be
21-Jan-2012, 07:06

Dave Langendonk
22-Jan-2012, 07:24
Hello,,,

This lid was purchaced on ebay and it appears to be rigged so that it works for a long enough time so that the piece of shit that sold it to me will get positive feedbeck before I notice what he done...
I have sent the guy a message asking for a new lid and if he doesn't want to make it good I will put his ebay name up in here so that others don't make the same mistake I did...
Steve

So is it an Expert drum lid or a 2800 series lid? I have had similar problems with Expert drum lids and have yet to find the right type of glue. I've tried several types of plumbing cements for PVC, ABS, etc and they don't hold over the long term. I have not tried epoxy yet and would be interested if someone has.

Greg Blank
22-Jan-2012, 09:54
What the hell possessed you to modify a drum that would or could sell for 500 used? Since native parts are still obtainable this would be my absolute last resort. That is if I was dead certain to never sell the drum.

Greg Blank
22-Jan-2012, 10:01
The funnel portion soft plient plastic that you have is normal welded onto the harder plastic of the lid via Isarplast Part number 16019. I suspect though that one could use any modeling cement, basically you need something the melts the two plastics together. I have an Expert lid that the funnel came loose and Isarplast is what I used a few years back to fix the issue. You do NOT want to seal around the funnel edge that is where the liquid flows into the drum. You simply place the funnel back on the broken post areas and then tack weld it with the glue.

So is it an Expert drum lid or a 2800 series lid? I have had similar problems with Expert drum lids and have yet to find the right type of glue. I've tried several types of plumbing cements for PVC, ABS, etc and they don't hold over the long term. I have not tried epoxy yet and would be interested if someone has.

Dave Langendonk
22-Jan-2012, 10:49
The funnel portion soft plient plastic that you have is normal welded onto the harder plastic of the lid via Isarplast Part number 16019. I suspect though that one could use any modeling cement, basically you need something the melts the two plastics together. I have an Expert lid that the funnel came loose and Isarplast is what I used a few years back to fix the issue. You do NOT want to seal around the funnel edge that is where the liquid flows into the drum. You simply place the funnel back on the broken post areas and then tack weld it with the glue.

That's what I tried to do with the PVC cement but I guess it does not melt the plastic enough. The funnel pops loose again after a few months. I've only been tacking it to the posts as you said. I'll try some model airplane cement. This is typically for styrene plastic. Where can you get the Isarplast cement?

From a design perspective it seems that the way the cup/light trap design on the 2800 or 1500 series drums is the way to go. It's removable but is held in very tightly once you lock it in. The Expert series lids just don't seem to be as robust a design.

LF_rookie_to_be
23-Jan-2012, 01:27
What the hell possessed you to modify a drum that would or could sell for 500 used?

I didn't. I just modified an expert lid which cost me 1 Euro on a certain four-letter site.

Greg Blank
23-Jan-2012, 07:26
I am sorry, I didn't mean to rude...the price really surprises me though last I check the lids complete were more like 70 €, if it was Jobo maybe because the lid was damaged, or another maybe because they dod not know the value or just wanted a quick $1.50 ;)

Never the less "I" would be most interested in who it was, please PM me if you feel inclined. If not its no big deal and I won't be offended. Take care.

I didn't. I just modified an expert lid which cost me 1 Euro on a certain four-letter site.

Greg Blank
23-Jan-2012, 07:29
Isarplast is available from Omega Brandess list price $15.84 not sure if its haz mat, can not be air shipped.
There was probably a reason the 1500, 2500 and 2800 series tanks existed first. The funnel used is identical to the the older series tanks. At first I used RTV as well, it does not chemically melt - bond the plastic.

That's what I tried to do with the PVC cement but I guess it does not melt the plastic enough. The funnel pops loose again after a few months. I've only been tacking it to the posts as you said. I'll try some model airplane cement. This is typically for styrene plastic. Where can you get the Isarplast cement?

From a design perspective it seems that the way the cup/light trap design on the 2800 or 1500 series drums is the way to go. It's removable but is held in very tightly once you lock it in. The Expert series lids just don't seem to be as robust a design.