PDA

View Full Version : Busch Lenses, Like new Vademecum set.

abarrutia
10-Nov-2008, 19:44
Dear list.
Ive been reading the list as a lurker for some time now, and just now created an account so I could start this thread regarding a Vademecum set i got a couple of weeks ago.
Ive been reading about it and would love to see it working! but I just dont dare to screw and unscrew these beautiful lenses as they seem to be with no use at all, after 100 years of life. The lenses are clean, brand new, no scratches nor dings nor fungus, the screws of the lenses still hold the original black paint on them, and all the inscriptions on the lenses, primary lens and filters are brand new. Only the brass of the lens shows some small dings maybe cause of its age. The case is in perfect shape too... The lens SN is 213293.
So i thought, that it wount be a good idea to use it and ruin it, while this might be a collectors item rather more than an useful set.
So I just thought i could post some images of the set itself for you to evaluate it, and give opinions wether i should just go out and take some beautiful soft images, or rather keep it locked until someone offers me a good price for it, and get some older, used lenses with the money.
How much would a set like this cost in these days?.

The other lens ive got in this incredible bargain is an Aplanat ser C 150mm N°2. It is with its original iris rotating wheel, and almost with no use at all too, just as the Vademecum is. Seems that someone bought the camera and these lenses 100 years ago, and just left them in a cool place, with no humidity at all until i got them. Any ideas if this might be a good lens to use thinking about its MINT condition , as i know its not a rare item, or id rather keep it locked with the Vademecum too? How much for it nowadays??

Ive got more photos of the two lenses for whoever that would like to get a closer sight.
Thanks a lot for your time and attention. Ive been showing them to all my friends but dont seem yet to find someone that understands my emotion when looking at this incredible find.

Sincerely,

Agustin Barrutia,
Gaffer,
Bs as, Argentina.
abarrutia@gmail.com

BarryS
10-Nov-2008, 20:15
Wow, that's one of the nicest casket sets I've ever seen--it's beautiful. My own belief is that these lenses are meant to be used--regardless of condition. With a little care, they'll be in the same condition when you finish using them. Casket sets don't seem to be hot collectors items, although you've got a superb example in fantastic condition. We have a resident casket set expert, Ole, who can give you a good idea of the value of your set.

Brian Stein
11-Nov-2008, 00:02
No expert but I agree: use them.

For more information also see http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/32764-busch-vademecum-sets.html http://lensn2shutter.com/busch-vademecum.html and http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/emilbusch_1.html

The photos in the first link look anything but soft!

Ole Tjugen
11-Nov-2008, 00:16
There seems to be at least some casket set collectors out there, since I keep getting outbid. :)

A pristine one such as yours should fetch a nice sum. I daren't say how much, since the prices vary all over the place: I have bought several nice ones for under $100, and been outbid at $400. Since yours is a real Busch set with all the filters intact, I would expect well over $600.

The Aplanat Serie C No. 2 is a nice one. I have tried mine on 24x30cm film (9.5x12"), and was surprised to find that it covers. All right the corners are soft, but look at just about any very wide picture taken aroung 1900 and you'll see soft corners. As WA Aplanats go, the Busch is among the very very best and I'm glad I got mine before others discovered just how good they are. :)

More casket sets on www.casket.set.com

C. D. Keth
11-Nov-2008, 00:33
That's gorgeous. I wish it was in my camera case. I'd use it and enjoy it.

goamules
11-Nov-2008, 08:03
My belief is the lenses must be used. Sitting in a dry, cool drawer for another 50 years isn't going to increase your or anyone else's enjoyment. And I doubt careful use will hurt them, just don't drop them! Another item I collect is antique guns. I've shot every one, and sometimes get strange looks at the range, by people who only own replicas. It would be different if the lens had some provinance; like "owned by King George the IV". But I'm not afraid to shoot my mint Darlot, or a nice Holmes Booth Haydens I just got.

Ole Tjugen
11-Nov-2008, 10:39
More casket sets on www.casket.set.com

Can't even spell the addres of my own website:

That should be www.casket-set.com, of course...

abarrutia
11-Nov-2008, 19:41
Thanks guys for all the info and opinions about these finds.
Ill follow your advices, go out and do some shots with them. too bad The biggest camera i own its a 4x5 calumet, but maybe i might get the wooden 5x7 working and will be able to try the casket with it.
But still, im thinking on selling the set and the Aplanat as i know myself and ive already lost and broke some beautiful cameras in the past.
So if anyone is interested on it, (though i might have to post it on the sale subforum), im open to offers.:)

thanks to everyone once again.

will post the examples as soon as i have them digitalized.

Agustin Barrutia.

Daniel_Buck
11-Nov-2008, 19:55
My belief is the lenses must be used. Sitting in a dry, cool drawer for another 50 years isn't going to increase your or anyone else's enjoyment. And I doubt careful use will hurt them, just don't drop them! Another item I collect is antique guns. I've shot every one, and sometimes get strange looks at the range, by people who only own replicas. It would be different if the lens had some provinance; like "owned by King George the IV". But I'm not afraid to shoot my mint Darlot, or a nice Holmes Booth Haydens I just got.

agreed, I feel the same way about classic cars!