PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop - Older Version

Annie M.
9-Nov-2008, 11:50
Now that there is CS4 is there a venue where one can purchace older versions of photoshop at a discount... having never used the program I assume that I would not notice the difference using an older version.

Thanks...

Gordon Moat
9-Nov-2008, 12:12
Sure, you can try EBAY or Craigslist. Also, if you have a university near you, check in their student store to see if they might have a previous version still on the shelf. Adobe will also still sell you an old version directly, but their prices are often silly for that. What you need to verify is compatibility with your operating system and older computer.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Ed Richards
9-Nov-2008, 12:44
You better be sure you can activate it - CS3 talks to Adobe when you try to run it, and it counts activations and ties into the account it was activated with. I have had it shut down just because I installed a Microsoft upgrade. I had to call their tech support to get turned back on. Remember, software is not a sale but a license, so they can restrict transfer.

sanking
9-Nov-2008, 13:22
Also, it would be good to check on compatibility. A lot of software that works on G4 and G5 hardware does not work on current generation Intel MACs.

Sandy

You better be sure you can activate it - CS3 talks to Adobe when you try to run it, and it counts activations and ties into the account it was activated with. I have had it shut down just because I installed a Microsoft upgrade. I had to call their tech support to get turned back on. Remember, software is not a sale but a license, so they can restrict transfer.

Annie M.
9-Nov-2008, 13:23
"CS3 talks to Adobe"

Yikes... does it sneak downstairs when I am sleeping and use the phone!?

hmmmmmm... this is getting to be like an O'Henry story... with the downturn in world economies beachcombing isn't bringing in the cash flow it used to... : )

any thoughts on Gimp?

Annie M.
9-Nov-2008, 13:31
Thanks for the heads up on that Sandy...

Guess the best thing to do is sell my camera and buy the new CS4....

: )

(just to clarify... my joke is just that nothing more... this thread is not a veiled attempt to get a cheap unauthorized edition of photoshop.)

David E. Rose
9-Nov-2008, 15:58
Take a look at Corel Photo-Paint. It is very close to Photoshop in capabilities at a much lower cost and they have a downloadable trial.

Donald Miller
9-Nov-2008, 16:59
The Adobe resellers of which I am aware send the older versions back to Adobe when the new versions are released. If you can find someone that has a version of CS2 that has not exceeded the activation limit that would work and would allow you to upgrade to a later version if you wish.

Be especially watchful for pirated copies...there are those available on Ebay. A friend tried that and it would not activate.

Gimp just does not cut it from where I see it...having tried it in the past.

jenn wilson
9-Nov-2008, 19:57
if you know anyone attending college, or are a student yourself, check out:
creationengine.com

while i was still a student, i purchased my software through them. at the time, i paid approx. $400 for the entire creative suite. why get the old stuff if you don't have to.:)

you will need to submit a photocopy of a current college id for their records before they will ship anything.

Donald Miller
9-Nov-2008, 23:13
Another possible savings is to join NAPP. I believe that Adobe told me that this would save 15%.

Once you have an acceptable Adobe platform installed you can upgrade for a lot less money. I went from CS3 standard to CS4 Production Premium Suite for $1150.00...regular price is $1650.00

Ash
10-Nov-2008, 05:30
I like GIMP.

Using the raw file plugin that you can get makes it really good too.

I use elements and am not a fan (I use it because it was free with something I bought) but it's still faster than gimp on my tired old ibook g4.

When I get a new mac, I'll get the new CS4. I'm not a fan of software covertly using bandwidth to talk to a host. Basically you are buying a trojan.