PDA

View Full Version : Used Imacon scanner - where to buy today?

GuidoH
6-Nov-2008, 14:33
Hello everybody,

last week I asked this forum for some hints on buying a Nikon Coolscan 9000, an Imacon or a drum scanner.

After reading all replies I first thought a Coolscan 9000 will fulfill my needs. But the scanner seems to become short to the market and some rumours about Nikon will discontinue it are increasing the price.

On the other hand if I really can buy one I need a special glas film carrier/holder and Silverfast AI IT-8 on top. If I add the prices for all these parts I come to an amount of money which makes a used IMACON 343 or 646 (preferred) come closer to me. Not to speak about the better quality of the scans itself.

So I began to google for used IMACONs but only found an IMACON photo with SCSI interface - which I don't want.
A firewire (IEEE 1394) connector should be available.

So my question is: Does anyone of you have an idea where to get a used IMACON 343 or 646 today? Europe or US/Canada dealers/vendors are preferred!

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Greetinx

Guido

www.pix-bavaira.com

Peter Mounier
6-Nov-2008, 15:24
Here's a place I've bought a couple of scanners from several years ago. They were good to deal with at that time.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bitek/bispecl.html

Peter

Chuck Mintz
6-Nov-2008, 18:31
I have a 646 with roughtly 1000 scans on it in very good shape. I need to purchase a scanner that will 8x10 and will sell the 646 at that time. I should have this done in the next 90 days. If you want to send me an email cmintz@ieee.org, I will let you know then. I am in Cleveland OH.
Chuck

daverich4
7-Nov-2008, 12:40
From the Nikon web site:

<<Is Nikon Scan compatible with Mac OS X version 10.5 “Leopard”?

No. The following problems have been identified with use under Mac OS X version 10.5. We do not plan to resolve these issues in the future.>>

If they're not planning on updating their software it's hard to believe they will keep making the scanner and hoping Vuescan or Silverfast will provide the drivers.

-dave-

Lenny Eiger
7-Nov-2008, 17:54
http://www.photovillage.com/html/shop.html Has them in stock new and refurbished.

If your doing a lot of 4x5 I would go with one of the Imacons that handle that format. Otherwise the 343 I've heard many times is a little less sharp then the nikon 9000. The 8000 has slightly less dmax and resolution.The Nikon is new, warranty, cheap to repair, and you can stitch up to 617 (2 scans). The 343 though can scan up to 617 at 3200spi, and you can do 4x5 by stitching. Tough choice. Good luck.

I went to this site and the prices were about $12,000-$20,000. I wouldn't pay that for an Imacon, no way. It isn't worth it. For that amount of money you can get a drum scanner. Guido, I don't know how you could conclude that the Imacon was the way to go with the info you were provided. They are ok, just don't compare to a drum, and many other scanners...

Lenny

cjbroadbent
7-Nov-2008, 23:38
So I began to google for used IMACONs but only found an IMACON photo with SCSI interface - which I don't want.

The scuzzy Imacon Photo is an economical solution - because you can easily pick up a blue Mac for free to run it.
The scan area is 6x18cm so even if you are into 5x7, and you've got the panoramic film holder, you can stitch two halves together (I use RealViz). Most of the colour stuff on my portfolio was done that way beacause I was shooting 5x7 exclusivly for a number of years.

Baxter Bradford
8-Nov-2008, 01:39
The SCSI Imacons are absolutely fine and offer probably the best value. You don't even need a dedicated older generation Mac. They will work on latest Intel machines.

The RATOC FR1SX SCSI/Firewire converter is established technology, you have to revert to earlier version of firmware and Use Flexcolor software that is compatible with SCSI. This is free from Hasselblad website. All details well documented and available from imaconusers on Yahoo groups.

GuidoH
8-Nov-2008, 06:00
Hello everybody,

I'd like to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your discussion and comments, your hints and tips!

Greetinx from Upper Bavaria

Guido

www.pix-bavaria.com

forthmedia
10-Nov-2008, 01:53
Hi Guido

Don't know if this will help you make a decision. I have the Nikon 9000 (perfectly happy with it) but since I started with 4"x5" I have been using an Imacom X5 that is available locally for hourly rental. If you want to send me a couple of negatives I will scan them (RAW no adjustments) next time I am using the X5 so you can make an assessment. You probably aren't going to buy an X5, but it might make you decide how close the 9000 is. (I'm in Zurich Switzerland)

Cheers

Richard

archivue
10-Nov-2008, 04:07
i've heard that the X5 light source is an improvement compares to the older models.

forthmedia
10-Nov-2008, 04:18
For what it's worth, although getting a little off the topic of the thread. I never used any other Imacon/Hasselblad scanner to compare, but the X5 is lightning fast. a raw 450mb RGB 4x5 scan takes about 1-2 mins. It's also a very neat loading interface compared with using the Nikon. Apparent resolution difference is maybe not so great, but remember I am scanning my MF at 4000dpi on the Nikon and 4x5 at 2040dpi on the X5. The X5 seems to be much superior at getting detail out of the shadows, and with little or no noise. These aren't based on any scientific comparisons - I can't be bothered much with doing that - but subjectively and based on the prints I'm making, so take with the usual pinch of salt. X5 costs about 6 times as much I think though