PDA

View Full Version : Crown Graphic Field

Santo Roman
4-Nov-2008, 15:02
I have been using my toyo 4x5 view but I want a field 4x5. Have been looking into Crown Graphics since they seem well built and pretty universal if I would need to get parts. Is there a specific crown that I should be looking at? Like most of us, I want the best I can get for the $ but since I will be looking on ebay, which crown graphic is the best out of the lines?

santo

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 15:16
Crown Graphic is a PRESS camera, not a field camera.

Santo Roman
4-Nov-2008, 15:17
Look at other post

Santo Roman
4-Nov-2008, 15:20
Crown Graphic is a PRESS camera, not a field camera.

True it is a press camera but unless the "press" are still using 4x5 cameras to shoot, I would call this a field camera.

santo

BrianShaw
4-Nov-2008, 15:20
OK but that doesn't change my comment. If you want a field camera you should be looking at cameras other than a Graphic -- they don't offer much in the way of movements and there are much lighter options if carrying weight is a concern.

Paul Kierstead
4-Nov-2008, 16:23
True it is a press camera but unless the "press" are still using 4x5 cameras to shoot, I would call this a field camera.

I think the point is that it is designed for press usage, not as a field camera. Now you can certainly "re-purpose" it (many have with good results), but it is significantly more limited then a "real" (i.e. designed for the purpose) field camera. Those limitations may or may not be an issue for your style.

I have a field camera, a press, and a monorail. That seems about the right amount of cameras for variety in work. Well, ok, you can always use more, but I find all three have good solid niches; I am never left wondering which one would be most appropriate for a task.

OTOH, no reason why you can get fabulous results from a press camera.