PDA

View Full Version : Another scanner question

Songyun
2-Nov-2008, 15:58
I have a V700. I scan 45 and 810. If I want to move up, what is the next level I can upgrade to? I don't have huge space and much money.

Peter De Smidt
2-Nov-2008, 16:05
It costs quite a bit to get more. The next step would be a used professional flatbed or a used drum scanner. While there are certainly bargains out there, there are also money pits. Service and parts on these things are incredibly expensive.

Before getting a new scanner, are you getting the most out of your scanner? For example, have you done tests to determine the best height above the scanning bed? This can make a huge improvement. In addition, using a DIY scanning plate is really the only way to get a flat negative, and hence a scan that's equally sharp over it's entire surface. The best way to mount to the glass sheet is with drum scanning fluid and mylar. I recommend Prazio supplies, as their mounting fluid is easier to use with a flatbed than Kami, but Kami is perfectly usable. Odds are you'd have to do these things with a professional scanner, especially a drum scanner, and so it's not money wasted if you decide later to buy a better scanner.

Carioca
2-Nov-2008, 16:16
I have a V700. I scan 45 and 810. If I want to move up, what is the next level I can upgrade to? I don't have huge space and much money.

Move up in what?
Size, or quality?

Songyun
2-Nov-2008, 16:19
Move up in what?
Size, or quality?
I am just getting frustrated with 810 scanning.

Carioca
2-Nov-2008, 16:21
I am just getting frustrated with 810 scanning.

?
Please explain.

Bruce Watson
2-Nov-2008, 16:23
You'd think that there would be a logical progression, where there would be progressively better scanners for progressively higher prices. You'd be wrong. The gap between consumer flatbeds and professional flatbeds is huge, especially from a money standpoint.

Your best bet, if you really want to do it, is to buy a used drum scanner. Much less money than a new pro. flatbed, but even a "desktop" drum scanner takes up a surprising amount of room. That is, they take up an entire desktop by themselves. And they generate a lot of heat, and make a lot of noise. Also, they have their own set of learning curves and like everything else, it takes some practice to climb the learning curves to get good at scanning.

What most people seem to do is use their consumer flatbed for proofing and for the web. When they find an image that really needs it, they send it out for a professional flatbed scan or a drum scan. Something to consider.

Songyun
2-Nov-2008, 22:25
?
Please explain.
First of all, I put the film on the scanner, it generates newton ring.
then I bought a piece of AN glass, put the film between the scanner glass and the AN glass, there are still newton rings.
Maybe I use the AN glass wrong, but I just don't know what to do.

DrPablo
3-Nov-2008, 06:30
You could consider fluid mounting it in the glass holder using Prazio anti-Newton spray or oil. Kami (from Aztek) would probably be good too. It's the same stuff used to mount film for a drum scan.

Ken Lee
3-Nov-2008, 07:09
Have you considered getting a Variable Height Mounting Station from BetterScanning (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html) ? They make a model for the V700.

I use one on my 4990, and I don't get Newton's rings any more. It also lets you mask off the rest of the scanner area, but most important, it lets you adjust the height so that you get the best focus possible from your unit. You can see an example here (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vb_advantage.html).

You might consider it an upgrade, but at a much lower price.

Songyun
3-Nov-2008, 07:37
Have you considered getting a Variable Height Mounting Station from BetterScanning (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html) ? They make a model for the V700.

I use one on my 4990, and I don't get Newton's rings any more. It also lets you mask off the rest of the scanner area, but most important, it lets you adjust the height so that you get the best focus possible from your unit. You can see an example here (http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/vb_advantage.html).

You might consider it an upgrade, but at a much lower price.
I certainly considered that, but they won't make mounting station for 8X10.

Peter De Smidt
3-Nov-2008, 08:06
try wet-mounting on the base of your scanner with the base side of the film against the glass. Do the base side down so that the emulsion is raised up a bit. The emulsion still won't be at the ideal height, in all likelihood, but you won't get any newton's rings.

If that looks like it's getting in the ball park for you, do tests to determine the best height. Then get a piece of glass. Use layers of tape (or whatever) under the four corners to raise the glass off of the scanning bed such that the negative will now be held at the right height. With 8x10, you may have to mount on top of the glass to keep the negative from bowing down even with wet-mounting. Otherwise, you can try mounting under the sheet so that the sensor only has to read through the mylar instead of through the extra sheet of glass. Watch for negative bowing. 4x5 work fine for me mounting under the sheet, but 8x10 might not. Obviously, the glass sheet will have to be shimmed differently if you mount the negative on the top or on the bottom. You might start with 4x5 sheets to get the hang of wet mounting.

There's a video online somewhere showing one way to wet mount on a flatbed scanner.

Brian Ellis
3-Nov-2008, 08:14
First of all, I put the film on the scanner, it generates newton ring.
then I bought a piece of AN glass, put the film between the scanner glass and the AN glass, there are still newton rings.
Maybe I use the AN glass wrong, but I just don't know what to do.

Have you tried flipping the negative? When I scanned 8x10 negatives on an Epson 4990 scanner I got Newton rings with one side of the film down and no Newton rings with the other side down. I can't now remember whether it was the base side or the emulsion side down that eliminated the rings but one way or the other they were eliminated.

D. Bryant
3-Nov-2008, 16:53
There's a video online somewhere showing one way to wet mount on a flatbed scanner.

http://www.aztek.com/index.html

Ken Lee
3-Nov-2008, 17:22
Thanks for the heads-up about BetterScanning not making a holder for 8x10. That's one more reason not to try 8x10 again. ;)