PDA

View Full Version : which type printer

robert fallis
1-Nov-2008, 14:02
I'm going to buy a second hand a3 printer mainly for black and white art prints.
should I buy an inkjet printer or should I buy a laser printer? and will a mono laser printer give good photographic prints? or is it only for text?

bob

Carioca
1-Nov-2008, 14:36
You should make a test print with the 3 units in question.
Compare, and you will have your answer.

Of the 3 options you named, I'd go for the inkjet.

Happy Haloween!

BarryS
1-Nov-2008, 15:07
A laser printer is going to give you truly awful looking prints. A photo quality inkjet is a much better choice.

Ron Marshall
1-Nov-2008, 15:11
Forget a laser.

Epson 2880 or 3800 are good bets. The Epson 4880 currently has a $480 rebate, but a replacement may be coming soon.

Lenny Eiger
1-Nov-2008, 15:37
I'm going to buy a second hand a3 printer mainly for black and white art prints.
bob

I agree with what others say about the inkjet- the other thing is that for "art prints" it is best to use b&w ink vs the color... check out inkjetmall.com for more info...

Lenny

Brian Ellis
3-Nov-2008, 09:14
I agree with what others say about the inkjet- the other thing is that for "art prints" it is best to use b&w ink vs the color... check out inkjetmall.com for more info...

Lenny

Just so you know, not everyone agrees with the above statement that b&w inks are "best" (whatever "best" means in this context). I also wouldn't look to the injetmall.com web site for unbiased opinions, that's the site for Jon Cone's b&w inks. Kind of like asking the Toyota dealer whether Toyota's are better than Nissans. For a somewhat more objective view on the use of color vs b&w inks, read Tyler Boley's post above.