PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Alignment help needed

jon.oman
31-Oct-2008, 16:48
I just picked up an 8x10 Cambo Legend:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/photos/406734613_jjn6v-M.jpg

I have a couple of issues with this camera. The main problem is with the rear rise/fall adjustment. I can unlock the adjustment knob, and then move the camera back to the zero position, lock the knob tightly, and then watch the camera back sink! It does not stay locked into position. This camera is the one with geared movements.

Each of the rise/fall adjustments have a set screw with a jam nut. Am I correct in my theory that this can be used to tighten the geared action? In other words, by tightening the set screw, the gear will not have any play, and then the back will stay put?

Here is an image of the set screw:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/photos/406734062_CDaBB-M.jpg

This set screw is at the back of the bottom adjustment knob seen in this image:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/photos/406734001_oUqBb-M-1.jpg

In the above image, there is also a problem with the knob in the center. This is the knob with the metal rod coming off of it. On the right side of the camera, I can not loosen this knob. It is stuck. Is there any recommended way of breaking this loose? I would not want to damage it.

The indicator for the tilting of the back needs to be adjusted. It appears that I can loosen up the screw to move the scale? I was thinking I could use a small level on the back to make sure the back is level, and then set this scale to the zero line. Does that make sense?

Here is an image of the scale:

http://jon-oman.smugmug.com/photos/406734238_EjtVQ-M-1.jpg

Finally, is there any recomendation on how to clean up the camera? It has a lot of dust, etc. on it. What can/should be used to clean the bellows, and the rails, etc.?

One last thing. The camera came with the Caltar II-N 1:5.6 f=300mm MC lens. This lens/shutter combination appears to be excellent. The glass is clean, and the shutter works without any problems. I have heard that this lens is a good performer. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks,

Jon Oman

ic-racer
31-Oct-2008, 18:50
There may be some useful info in this file: http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item55/Legend_Master_Instructions.pdf

I frequently use 409 for cleaning cameras and other equipment and have not harmed anything with that in a long while.

WD-40 can clean up rusty screws, like the set-screw you pictured.

That Caltar should be a fine lens.

Frank Petronio
31-Oct-2008, 19:35
It's a great lens, really there is not much better available until you drop thousands and then you still probably couldn't see the difference in the results, you would only get a larger image circle (but you have plenty with the Caltar.)

Take the bellows off, hang it with a soft hanger or something that won't puncture or stress the bellows, and lightly wipe it down with Armor-All. If it is stiff and heavy vinyl you can even lightly vacuum it first.

Can't advise on the mechanics, try to use metric tools on metric nuts.

jon.oman
1-Nov-2008, 12:31
There may be some useful info in this file: http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item55/Legend_Master_Instructions.pdf

I frequently use 409 for cleaning cameras and other equipment and have not harmed anything with that in a long while.

WD-40 can clean up rusty screws, like the set-screw you pictured.

That Caltar should be a fine lens.

Thanks for the link! I was all over their site looking for this information. I can see why I did not find it, because there is no visible link to it from their current site. They really should have documentation for older products that can be gotten to easily!

Thanks for the tip on the 409 product. I'll look into it.

There are a couple of rusty set screws, and other screws. It is almost as if one quadrant of the camera was splashed with water. My plan is to replace them with stainless steel versions.

Thanks again, this really helps!

Jon

jon.oman
1-Nov-2008, 12:34
It's a great lens, really there is not much better available until you drop thousands and then you still probably couldn't see the difference in the results, you would only get a larger image circle (but you have plenty with the Caltar.)

Take the bellows off, hang it with a soft hanger or something that won't puncture or stress the bellows, and lightly wipe it down with Armor-All. If it is stiff and heavy vinyl you can even lightly vacuum it first.

Can't advise on the mechanics, try to use metric tools on metric nuts.

I'm glad to see that this lens is well thought of. I know that mine looks pristine. I'm still in the process of setting up my new darkroom, so I won't be able to test it for a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips!

Jon

Tracy Storer
1-Nov-2008, 13:35
There are a couple of rusty set screws,...My plan is to replace them with stainless steel versions.Jon

Jon, I would recommend against substituting materials, some materials don't "agree" with one another and can wear prematurely. If the rust worries you, get exact replacements in the same material and finish, (black oxide for black oxide, etc.)
Please also take careful note of the tip style on the set screws, there are several different tip styles(cone point, cup point, knurled cup point, dog point, etc.), and each has their own uses.

Mcmaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is an excellent source for fasteners and all things mechanical.

Enjoy the camera, 8x10 is great, and Cambos are well designed and made cameras.

jon.oman
1-Nov-2008, 15:57
Jon, I would recommend against substituting materials, some materials don't "agree" with one another and can wear prematurely. If the rust worries you, get exact replacements in the same material and finish, (black oxide for black oxide, etc.)
Please also take careful note of the tip style on the set screws, there are several different tip styles(cone point, cup point, knurled cup point, dog point, etc.), and each has their own uses.

Mcmaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is an excellent source for fasteners and all things mechanical.

Enjoy the camera, 8x10 is great, and Cambos are well designed and made cameras.

Very valid points! I'll have to rethink my plans on this.

Jon

jon.oman
5-Nov-2008, 11:49
An update. I just dove in, and tightened up the set screws and jam nuts on the rear standard. That did fix the problem of the downward slip of the back. I still have to replace the missing set screw on the front standard, but that one is not slipping, so there is no rush.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Jon