PDA

View Full Version : Holder for 6x6 Filters

Tim Povlick
30-Oct-2008, 21:06
I am trying to find some rod based filter holders for 6x6 filters but can't find them. The camera is a 8x10 Canham wood traditional with Schneider 210 SS-XL to use for landscape. I suspect I won't use more than 2 filters at the same time.

Are the rod based systems the way to go?

If yes, where can one find them?

Does one have to place the filter against the lens to prevent reflections?

Thanks,

Tim

C. D. Keth
30-Oct-2008, 21:18
It doesn't have to be against the lens, but it should ideally be parallel to the lens (i.e. perpendicular to the lens axis).

I wanted to give you that info but I can't really help you with something that won't cost a fortune. The only 6x6 filter holders I know of are matteboxes for the mp cameras I use when working. You definitely don't want to pay what they cost.

Eric Leppanen
31-Oct-2008, 00:21
You could investigate having a custom press-on 6x6 filter holder made for you by a machine shop such as SK Grimes. It would be held in place against the barrel by a thumbscrew. Such a solution would be pricey but still significantly less (and far less bulky) than a matte-box holder. Some folks have reportedly hand-carved rectangular filter holders out of foam, but I personally would be leery of that type of solution for large 6x6 glass filters.

When I owned an SS210XL, I ended up taping a 6.6x6.6 polarizer to the front barrel, and/or taping a Lee-sized resin filter to the rear element. This was not a particularly elegant solution and added another minute to my setup time, but it actually worked fairly well in the field.

Mark Woods
31-Oct-2008, 00:38
To my knowledge, Arri makes the only 6.6x6.6 matte boxes. I used to own a MB-14 that set me back about $6k, if I remember right. The 15mm rods were on the bottom and the whole works was centered with a sliding dovetail plate that held the rods in relationship to the lens. This relationship is an Arri standard. I don't have a clue how this system could be adapted to the LF cameras. I'm sure it could, but there would be quite a few spacers and longer rods to make it all work. And, as was mentioned, it would be very cumbersome. BTW I own about 100 6.6x6.6 filters and wish I could use them with my LF cameras. I also own a bunch of series 9 filters and know that is the way to go with the cameras.

Ralph Barker
31-Oct-2008, 08:07
I use a HighTech system for 100mm filters, but I don't know if they have a similar system for 6" filters due to the relative rarity.

Once the filters (I'm assuming you're using gel filters) are in frames (made easily from manila file folder material), you can, of course, simply hold the filter in front of the lens during the exposure.

C. D. Keth
31-Oct-2008, 09:18
The 6x6 filters I am used to aren't gelatin. They're glass. Sorry to be a naysayer, but I really doubt you'll find an economical solution. Few people bother to make a cheap way to hold filters that are in the realm of $600 each.

Mark, I didn't know there was another person here in motion pictures other than for Daniel in Culver City who's in post. I hope we get the opportunity to work together sometime. We'd have plenty to talk about while we wait for sound. ;)

Mark Woods
31-Oct-2008, 16:36
Hey Chris. I just read the message and I'm ROTFLMAO. Maybe we could get together for some coffee or something. I'm at AFI on Wed. mornings and Thurs afternoons to night. BTW, I have about 5 cases of 6.6 filters.

Tim Povlick
31-Oct-2008, 19:24
Thanks very much for the responses.

The big matte boxes are unbelievably high priced. Mark, thanks for the pointer to the Arri gear. I've never heard of them. The MB-14 is really cool looking!

http://www.arri.de/infodown/cam/ti/mb_14_e.pdf

but to expensive unless I hit the lottery. I found your website about a year ago and think your B&W images are really good. The writings on work as DP was a real interesting read.

Per Eric's suggestion I contacted "my" machinist in LaCanada, CA who likes to make one-of's. He said he's game. Instead of push on clamp I would use go with a screw clamp on type (on outer barrel of lens). He made a really cool adapter to attach to an ArcaSwiss front 171mm stand to allow a 4" compendium shade. Inside which I put filters and holder.

Going with front and back filters would be good but one thing I didn't mention is I also have a APO Symmar=L 480/8.6 and it has 105mm filter rings front and back. So any solution needs to take this lens into account.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim