PDA

View Full Version : Question on scanning with V-700

William Sherman
24-Oct-2008, 19:59
I am scanning my first 4 x 5 B&W negs on the new scanner and I've run into a problem. The first scan I did was saved as a tiff and opened in Bridge. I then opened that tiff in camera raw and made adjustments, no problem. The next scan would not open in camera raw ( option greyed out ). I went back to Epson Scan and checked all the settings - all the same. Made another scan with the same settings - and that one would open in ACR. I changed negs and scanned - wouldn't open in ACR. Another scan of the same negs with the same settings - they would open in ACR! What's up with this? I am new to scanning so it may very well be operator error but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Has anyone run into this before? Any help would be appreciated.

Bill

m332720
25-Oct-2008, 13:06
I run into the same problem Sometimes if I open it in PS and then say do a minimal crop and save it it then opens in ACR. Other times I just rescan and it opens in ACR.
If you find out what the problem is I would love to know

Ash
25-Oct-2008, 13:21
It's probably because you're using a format that CR wasn't intended for. Yes Tiff is uncompressed and has all the essentially raw data for each channel, but the ACR was meant for raw files from digital cameras.

It's probably a compatibility issue.

I'd say scan all your negs and only after doing them all do you try to open ACR. If you see there's a pattern to which open and which don't then cool, otherwise work with what you got :/