PDA

View Full Version : New Fidelity Film Holders 5" x 7"

Colin Myers
22-Oct-2008, 00:18
I noticed on U.K. E-Bay a few days ago that someone was selling "New" , boxed pairs of Fidelity, 5" x 7" Filmholders. Apparently they had several sets. I know these have been in short supply, (no supply) recently, so thought this may be of interest to forum members
Colin Myers

Don Dudenbostel
22-Oct-2008, 06:39
Calumet USA purchased Fidelity or at least the parts to assemble new holders. I recently purchased 14 for $55 each.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/FI5700/

Oren Grad
22-Oct-2008, 06:41
Both B&H and Calumet are showing 5x7 Fidelity holders in stock, though they're pricey now - $65 each at B&H and $55 at Calumet.

Michael Alpert
22-Oct-2008, 06:43
The holders are easily available. I purchased some two-holder boxes from Badger Graphics. They work well in every way. So the manufacturing problem, for the present at least, has been solved.

Sal Santamaura
22-Oct-2008, 08:29
Calumet USA purchased Fidelity or at least the parts to assemble new holders. I recently purchased 14 for $55 each...

...the manufacturing problem, for the present at least, has been solved.Calumet has owned Fidelity/Lisco for some time. Calumet previously decided to stop manufacturing holders. Reportedly, the demand for 5x7 holders convinced Calumet to resume assembling previously molded parts, so there will be new holders available until the parts run out.

Don, it's interesting that you purchased 14 new holders. That's exactly how many I bought a few months back. Since Calumet charges more for shipping and tacks on sales tax to my location, I ordered from Badger, which still shows them in stock today:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2628

Clive Gray
22-Oct-2008, 11:09
I think it's more that this was perhaps meant to be relevant to UK or EU members as in the UK Calumet doesn't list 5x7 holders at all and in fact, they literally may be the only new ones available.

You may find a price on other UK web sites for £36.50 each plus vat, not a bad price but they do not have any.

From the auction and presumably referring to Walker cameras who are the only people I have seen listing 5X7 holders in the UK.

The price at Badger Graphic is $110 a pair by the time shipping and vat and customs duty etc is paid that would make them about $200 approximately £123,so the current bid of £100 would still be a cheaper quicker option if they are won at that price.

Sal Santamaura
22-Oct-2008, 12:05
I think...they literally may be the only new ones available...One may purchase brand new 5x7 holders from Chamonix, but they cost approximately three times what new Fidelity holders go for.

Don Dudenbostel
24-Oct-2008, 20:16
Calumet has owned Fidelity/Lisco for some time. Calumet previously decided to stop manufacturing holders. Reportedly, the demand for 5x7 holders convinced Calumet to resume assembling previously molded parts, so there will be new holders available until the parts run out.

Don, it's interesting that you purchased 14 new holders. That's exactly how many I bought a few months back. Since Calumet charges more for shipping and tacks on sales tax to my location, I ordered from Badger, which still shows them in stock today:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2628

When I ordered my holders the sales person at Calumet said they had 1700 in stock plus parts fore more.

I ordered some of the wooden holders from Badger but was not happy with the materials in them. The wood was quite soft and easily dented and on two of them the bead / light trap splintered and part fell off the first time I inserted them in my Canham. I returned them but Badger didn't mention the Fidelity holders/

I went through my stock of older holders and found about 50% leaked and the others were quite worn. I bought about 50 of them forty years ago and used them since. With as much wear as they have i decided to get some new ones and keep the dozen older ones that are in good shape with the idea they will last the rest of my life.

I guess I'm in good shape now with 50 4x5, 26 5x7, 25 3-1/4x4-1/4 graflex and 30 8x10 holders. It's nice to have new holders that I don't have to worry about.

vinny
25-Oct-2008, 08:20
[QUOTE=Sal Santamaura;404314]Calumet has owned Fidelity/Lisco for some time. Calumet previously decided to stop manufacturing holders. Reportedly, the demand for 5x7 holders convinced Calumet to resume assembling previously molded parts, so there will be new holders available until the parts run out.

Every time I pass by the Fidelity building (right next to calumet), I want to stop and see if they'll let me have a look in there. Maybe snap a shot or two. The gate isn't open as much as it used to be.