PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Changing Bags

Tim Meisburger
19-Oct-2008, 23:34
Does anyone have any experience with the cheap Chinese changing bags available on ebay? I need a changing bag, but while the price is attractive, i don't want to get something that will not do the job.

Brian Stein
20-Oct-2008, 03:35
Yes I have one, it is well made, and has worked fine. Having said that I would strongly recommend a change tent for the ease of use

rwyoung
20-Oct-2008, 06:25
I have purchased two, a smaller one and a large one. The large one was for some single-shot pinhole camera I made from paint cans. I could change out in the field.

They seems to work fine. However they were full of lint and thread cut-offs from the manufacturing process so a quick turn inside-out and cleaning before use may be in order. YMMV

Jim Noel
20-Oct-2008, 10:44
Buy a tent. They are quickly set up and easier to keep clean of dust. Besides the top does not ride on your film and your hands do not sweat as much.

shmoo
20-Oct-2008, 13:52
I'd be worried about the melamine content...kidding.

Changing tents are much better for loading/unloading film. With a changing bag, you've got the problem of the bag interfering with the process...and the sweat that accumulates. If you have a large enough bag, you could use a plastic shoe box inside to prop up the bag and give you some room to work...and use it for storage as well.

Tim Meisburger
20-Oct-2008, 15:15
Thank you Brian and RW for the advice. I will buy one and give it a try. I don't think I want to drop the money on a tent just now, so I'll buy a big bag and try the tinker toy idea, i.e. make an internal frame to make the bag a tent.

cowanw
20-Oct-2008, 15:17
Be American, buy American.

How do you know Tim from Bangkok is American?
Regards
Bill

Gordon Moat
20-Oct-2008, 17:06
Be American, buy American.

. . .

Would you happen to know of any German made changing tents?

:D :cool:

manfromh
21-Oct-2008, 05:10
I bought one from cowy07 on ebay. It arrived last week. I haven't used it yet, but it looks good. Its 58x62cm. I don't know if that's considered big or small. At $18.99 it was a lot cheaper than anything available in Europe.

Tim Meisburger
21-Oct-2008, 05:34
As it happens, I am French, German, Irish, Scottish, and English (i.e. American). I would be happy to buy American, but the shipping charges are typically more than the item.

I ordered the bag today, as well as a box of 50 sheets of Shanghai 100 ASA 4x5, from the same place. The film was about $25 with shipping, whereas the Arista 100 was about $25 for the film alone, and double that with shipping to Bangkok. I don't expect too much from the film, but am a beginner in 4x5 and in development, and figure it will be good enough learn the basics with. Plus, I kind of like the aesthetic of using the cheapest stuff available. Many years ago I used to shoot expired and cooked Lucky 35mm in Cambodia, and weirdly made some of my favorite images with that stuff. Just luck I guess, and being in an interesting place.