PDA

View Full Version : 3800Epson--where to buy? Opinions--Did you buy?

Raymond Bleesz
11-Oct-2008, 06:25
Curious to know-----if--------- was the purchase from a local Epson retail store or did you purchase perhaps directly from the Epson site-perhaps getting a "refurbrished" one at that???? What would be the difference between a "refurbrished" one & "new"?

Any other comments regarding the Epson 3800 would be appreciated as I'm in the contemplative mode at this time. Thank you-Raymond

Brian Ellis
11-Oct-2008, 07:51
I've owned my 3800 since March, 2007. It's an excellent printer. While the ink is expensive, it doesn't seem to use much ink, I'm still on the set that came with the printer (though I don't print a whole lot and don't usually print very large). The only problem I've had has been with the single-sheet rear paper feed. Occasionally whatever mechanism is in there doesn't "grab" the paper and I have to gently apply pressure by hand to the rear edge of the paper to get it into the feed. No big deal, just an occasional minor irritant. I've had no problems with the rear multiple-sheet feed and I've never used the front single-sheet feed. I bought mine from MidWest Photo Exchange because I've dealt with them for years, their price was basically the same as most on-line stores, and they offered free shipping.

Eric Brody
11-Oct-2008, 09:16
I've also owned a 3800 for a while though I have gone through a lot more ink than Brian has. I am fortunate to have an excellent local retailer, Pro Photo Supply in Portland. I purchase from them since I get good service, their prices are competitive, and they have been helpful when problems arise. I have no connection to them except as a customer.

My 3800 has produced wonderful prints, I print almost exclusively in black and white from scanned LF and MF negatives. The printer is fussy about paper flatness. I had a batch of 8.5x11 Harman Glossy that had just a bit of a curl at one end and I got some head strikes. I now try to flatten it before I print. The 3800 is the first "high end" printer I have used, I graduated from an Epson 1280 (which I still use to print documents). I cannot comment about the issue of refurbished vs new.

Do a search. I am certain there are lots of 3800 comments on this and other forums (fora?).

Good luck.

Eric

Kuzano
11-Oct-2008, 09:27
Curious to know-----if--------- was the purchase from a local Epson retail store or did you purchase perhaps directly from the Epson site-perhaps getting a "refurbrished" one at that???? What would be the difference between a "refurbrished" one & "new"?

Refurb not allowed here....I know a long time printer repair person who will not work on inkjets. He works on laser and impact printers only. He has almost all the municipal contracts in the local 3 counties. He indicated that re-alignment of all the components is often not equal to the alignment managed on the assembly line. I take this to mean that Epson probably does not run these back through the assembly line on re-assembly, and that it is done manually. I suspect this also applies to scanners because of the moving components.

To me, the savings don't warrant the potential risk of getting a poor printer or scanner.

Steven Barall
11-Oct-2008, 10:59
I bought a refurb printer from Epson and there were no problems with it at all. I have recommended Epson refurb to many people and I have never heard a bad thing word from any of them. Also, Epson has a frequent buyer program that you can ask them about and if they think you qualify they will make you a great deal on a new printer.

Good luck.

bernal
11-Oct-2008, 11:42
Factory refurbished products usually carry the same warranty new products do. It could be that perhaps they replaced a faulty cover, a faulty PCB or some other non-critical component. But whatever is done, I don't think it should be of great concern buying refurbished if all work is done at the factory. But if the price difference is too small, you'll be better off buying new...in my opinion. By the way, I own one, although not refurbished. It's a great printer.

bernal

Kirk Gittings
11-Oct-2008, 12:14
I consistently buy factory refurbs with no problems. That has included Dell, Mac, lacie and Epson scanners and printers. I just bought a 3800 and it works flawlessly. I boughgt it from my local dealer for $1000. According to one factory rep I talked too many warranted returns have nom problems with them except operator malfunction, but all returns always get a thorough going over anyway.

D. Bryant
11-Oct-2008, 18:45
I consistently buy factory refurbs with no problems. That has included Dell, Mac, lacie and Epson scanners and printers. I just bought a 3800 and it works flawlessly. I boughgt it from my local dealer for $1000. According to one factory rep I talked too many warranted returns have nom problems with them except operator malfunction, but all returns always get a thorough going over anyway.
Per the Epson USA website here is their policy concerning refurbished equipment:

Refurbished Products: All sales are final. These are products that have been returned to Epson. They have been inspected and tested to ensure they perform properly. Some may have minor blemishes due to handling. They are available only while quantities last. Refurbished products may or may not contain a media pack or the same software package as new models. In order to provide these savings and to move final quantities, we cannot accept returns unless the product arrived damaged or defective in which case your remedy is replacement with the same model or equivalent. See Terms of Sale and Conditions.

So the bottom line is that returns and exchanges on refurbished items isn't the same as new equipment. I know from experience that return of refurbished equipment received damaged is also limited. So buyers should be aware ot the terms of sale.

For full information check here:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/AboutReturnsExchanges.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Don Bryant

Kuzano
12-Oct-2008, 21:01
Refurbished Products: All sales are final. These are products that have been returned to Epson. They have been inspected and tested to ensure they perform properly. Some may have minor blemishes due to handling. They are available only while quantities last. Refurbished products may or may not contain a media pack or the same software package as new models. In order to provide these savings and to move final quantities, we cannot accept returns unless the product arrived damaged or defective in which case your remedy is replacement with the same model or equivalent. See Terms of Sale and Conditions.Don Bryant

But this warranty disclosure from Epson on refurbs clearly indicates that they are aware of certain risks involved in such purchases and are CTA on the products. (Covering Their Asses)

Secondly, yes I am aware that the majority of returns probably come from Ignorant Users who could not handle the merchandise and that the only option Epson has available is to inspect and repackage the item as "refurbished".

The fact still remains that if the problem goes deep enough to require disassembly of closely calibrated moving parts, the item is not put back through the assembly line. I suspect an individual technician must do the disassembly/reassembly. I do not trust this process as infallible as an original printer off the assembly line.

Consequently, since it is clear that Epson knows there is a risk, although limited, I am not willing to go along with it. Again, I consider Printers and Scanners, because of the importance of the calibration and registry of the components, to not be worth the risk considering a small savings. Dealing with such issues is more costly than the price savings, considering packing, shipping and lost time on production.

As an afterthought, let me add that I use Epson printers. I bought a new HP 9180 printer and resold it within two months, when I was unable to make prints that matched my older Epson R2200. Yes, Epson makes a wonderful printer. My friend is getting exceptional prints from and Epson R2400.

ljb0904
13-Oct-2008, 09:23
I have an Epson 3800 and a designjet 130. I like the DJ130 better for color prints, and got the Epson for black and white. I haven't had any problems with mine and I bought mine through Midwest Photo.

As far as return policy goes, I think the two key statements are "They have been inspected and tested to ensure they perform properly" and "we cannot accept returns unless the product arrived damaged or defective." The first one says they have tested the item to make sure it works (so, it should be like buying a new one, but cheaper), the second says you can't return because you don't like it. If, however, the printer doesn't work properly (defective), you can return it.

keith english
13-Oct-2008, 09:29
ON a little different note, are the refurbished printers purged of ink? I would consider getting a refurb (like a 1400) to convert to cone inks, but if I have to flush it first I might as well go with new.

mrladewig
13-Oct-2008, 13:07
For anyone who has purchased a refurb 3800, can you say what it comes with in regards to ink? Are the inks loaded or have they been? Does it come with a full set of new inks?

I'm considering a refurb 3800 right now, but I'm also considering another photography purchase and cannot afford both at the moment.

I purchased my 4990 as a refurb from Epson and it has been excellent.

edit-- I should have bought the 3800 last week when it was $100 off. Guess I'll hold off for now.

Jon Shiu
13-Oct-2008, 13:37
It comes with the regular set of individual boxed inks. I would buy new, though because there have been problems with the refurbs with the initial charging of inks and weaker than standard (brown-box) packaging. However, Epson will overnight a replacement.

Jon

D. Bryant
13-Oct-2008, 14:44

Any other comments regarding the Epson 3800 would be appreciated as I'm in the contemplative mode at this time. Thank you-Raymond

Amazon.com!

Don Bryant

DonParrott
15-Oct-2008, 18:01
At my local dealers recommendation, I bought a refurb'd 3800 from Epson as it saved about $280 from his price. When it came in, the front door would not latch. No big deal, but they sent another one the next day. I have had absolutely no problems with it. As reported earlier, it came with the full set of ink cartridges.