PDA

View Full Version : My Bride brags about my photographs on the internet!

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2008, 08:47
I'm not sure where to post this, but it is about a photograph I took, and this is "On Photography" so here it is at:

http://scraphappysuz.blogspot.com/

This came as a complete surprise to me:)
I knew there must be some reason why I keep the gal around;)

It is an 8x10 aerial shot with the Gowland, TMY at 400ISO with a yellow filter on 300mm Nikor M up front contact printed on grade 2 Galerie glossy.

Tori Nelson
8-Oct-2008, 09:00
Awww, that's sweet!

Vaughn
8-Oct-2008, 09:17
Too cool! Loved the "Daddy sandwich"!

vaughn

Capocheny
8-Oct-2008, 10:55
Hi John,

Gotta love it... as they say, "Happy wife... happy life!"

Cheers

domenico Foschi
8-Oct-2008, 11:12
SO, we finally know how John looks like!
That's a beautiful picture, by the way.

David A. Goldfarb
8-Oct-2008, 11:13
That's great, John!

Richard M. Coda
8-Oct-2008, 11:19
Congratulations! My wife looks at photography as "the other woman". In fact I took a photo of a truck in Jerome, AZ this weekend, which had "The Other Woman" painted across the side. It will be a gift to her... or IF I could find an other woman :eek:

Charles Carstensen
8-Oct-2008, 12:42
An aerial shot, eh. Please tell us the particulars of how it was done. I am an old aerial photographer who started photography strapped in to the open door of a Beech 18.

Nathan Potter
8-Oct-2008, 14:52
John, You've got a hell of a wife there - take good care of her.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Michael Graves
8-Oct-2008, 15:11
Congratulations! My wife looks at photography as "the other woman". In fact I took a photo of a truck in Jerome, AZ this weekend, which had "The Other Woman" painted across the side. It will be a gift to her... or IF I could find an other woman :eek:

The solution to your problem is to get your wife involved in photography. I did and my wife goes with me on trips and we both have a wonderful time. The DOWN side to that goes back to the subject of this thread. My wife brags about HER photographs.

And darn it, she should. She's better than me by a long shot.

BTW how did you do an 8x10 aerial shot and not fall out of the airplane?

Dave Wooten
8-Oct-2008, 15:29
An aerial shot, eh. Please tell us the particulars of how it was done. I am an old aerial photographer who started photography strapped in to the open door of a Beech 18.

Did SKY KING fly a Beech 18?

wfwhitaker
8-Oct-2008, 15:41
Did SKY KING fly a Beech 18?

I think it was a Cessna 310. But I don't claim to be old enough to know.

Nice looking family, John. You're lucky.

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2008, 15:46

Thank you everyone! :)

The camera ship was a Cessna 182 with the window swung up under the wing. IIRC we were well over 14,000'. I held the Gowland so that no part was in contact with the airframe. The aperture was wide open at f/9 and IIRC the shutter speed was 1/250.

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2008, 16:39
BTW how did you do an 8x10 aerial shot and not fall out of the airplane?

It takes a really tall tripod!

jnantz
8-Oct-2008, 16:40
great stuff john!

how many mountain peaks are left for you to photograph ?

john

John Kasaian
8-Oct-2008, 16:50
great stuff john!

how many mountain peaks are left for you to photograph ?

john

Thanks john!
There's lots of mountains left---just no $$ to rent airplanes :o

John Powers
8-Oct-2008, 17:08

Judy Phillips, wife of camera builder Dick Phillips, tells of the customer's wife who calls the UPS Delivery Van, "the Lens Truck."

John

Richard M. Coda
8-Oct-2008, 21:23
The solution to your problem is to get your wife involved in photography. I did and my wife goes with me on trips and we both have a wonderful time.

You don't know my wife! :eek:

Merg Ross
8-Oct-2008, 22:00
John you are fortunate, as am I, that a seemingly sane woman would marry a photographer! Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it.

Two questions: What happened to the beard? More importantly, when are you going to gather together your images and have a show?

John Kasaian
9-Oct-2008, 09:40
Thanks for your comments Merg.

Suzelle is a pretty amazing girl!

If I can get enough "keepers" together for an exhibit, maybe growing a beard will allow me to charge more for prints ;)---I'll have to work on that one!

David Karp
9-Oct-2008, 10:41
Awesome. Great photo as well!

adrian tyler
10-Oct-2008, 08:08
your wifes' photos are FANTASTIC, if i were her husband i'd be promoting her work and not viceversa!...

Brian Sims
10-Oct-2008, 08:49
Wife bragging about your photos?
Chaa Ching....sounds like a big deposit in the relationship bank.
Question is: what is she saving up for?
You better be matching her deposits: knock off a few items on the "honey do" list, clean the bathroom, foot massage without being asked.....

Seriously, though, looks like a great shot.

Jim Galli
10-Oct-2008, 09:17
Congrats John! Loved the daddy sandwich. It goes by too quick. We're on our way to Oregon tonight to visit our middle girl, her very nice hubby and their little one who is 4 and thinks grampa's pretty neat. Thanks for a positive thread.

Aahx
10-Oct-2008, 09:30
So that was hand held with no Gyro? Looks real nice to me... I always have issues with vibrations in the aircraft I have been shooting from of late (blackhawk helicopters, C-23 Sherpa's, C-130's, etc.. all at work) Though I have been meaning to pick up a kentronic's gyro one of these days.

nathanm
10-Oct-2008, 10:57
Yikes! To see something that looks that tonally rich floating in water is really humbling. I have no idea how you darkroom guys pull that stuff off. :eek:

John Kasaian
11-Oct-2008, 08:59
Yikes! To see something that looks that tonally rich floating in water is really humbling. I have no idea how you darkroom guys pull that stuff off. :eek:

That's why wet dark rooms are so much fun! Apparently they are "chick magnets" as well (judging from my Bride's reaction!) :)

Allen in Montreal
11-Oct-2008, 11:22
John,

That looks like a great image! Well done.
I shoot aerials for work from time to time, never with more than a 6x7.

When I shot the picture below at 10,000 out the popped open window of cessna, it was tough to get it perfect, I just can't imagine with an 8x10 at 14,000 !!
And more than likely, if your pilot was a "by the book" guy, with an oxygen mask on to boot!!

Beautiful, just beautiful sir!!

John Kasaian
11-Oct-2008, 16:45
And that's a beautiful aerial as well Allen! That would be a difficult shot to make hand held (oblique? Is that the term for it?) Cool! :)

matthew050204
13-Oct-2008, 14:40
Hey, man, hats off to you, not only are those photos really amazing but you seem to have found the perfect wife, and she’s totally supportive of your hobby, too! See, that’s why I’m kind of afraid of comittment at the moment because I don’t really have time for a girlfriend next to my photography, but if you can actually find a girl who understands and likes your obsession, obviously that’s the best of luck. Oh well, who knows, I might find someone as crazed as I am someday :-D