PDA

View Full Version : Gallery arrangements

ASRafferty
8-Oct-2008, 08:37
I'm hoping I can get some advice from those of you used to making arrangements with galleries to show your work...

I'm lending several pieces of Ted's to a gallery as part of its opening exhibit, and don't know if there are some standard arrangements I should make sure are in place. Does the gallery have responsibility for them while they are in their possession? Should I be getting some sort of certificate of insurance from them? Or, does the decision to lend these make the responsibility for what happens to them all mine?

I'm assuming that I should have something concrete in place beforehand about what happens if any sales result (pointers on a usual commission for the gallery or "split" would be appreciated), but was just wondering about "safe-keeping" provisions that usually go with this sort of thing.

Thanks for any advice.

Michael Gordon
8-Oct-2008, 08:49
You need to use an artist's consignment form (Google is your friend). Make sure the terms and details are spelled out clearly on the form, and include the exact information regarding your pieces, sizes, and edition numbers (if applicable). The gallery should be insuring the work while it is in their possession, but not all do.

Good luck!

ASRafferty
8-Oct-2008, 14:26
Thanks, Michael, I'm on it!

paulr
8-Oct-2008, 15:11
Yeah, consignment forms are important, no matter how well you know the gallery. Even if you're friends. Especially if you're friends, for that matter, because a lot of tension can arise from innocent misunderstandings.

claudiocambon
8-Oct-2008, 16:10
Also, specify what their insurance period covers. Some are "nail to nail" or "wall to wall", ie from the moment the piece leaves your house until it comes back, others are only valid as long as it is on their premises. This of course has bearing on whether or not there is a need for shipping insurance, and, if so, who covers it.

ASRafferty
8-Oct-2008, 16:19
Also, specify what their insurance period covers. Some are "nail to nail" or "wall to wall", ie from the moment the piece leaves your house until it comes back, others are only valid as long as it is on their premises. This of course has bearing on whether or not there is a need for shipping insurance, and, if so, who covers it.

Thank you, that distinction hadn't occurred to me, but it's obviously an important consideration. As it happens, this is a new gallery not far away (Manchester, NH) and the pieces I'm lending will be hand carried and returned. But I can certainly see why I should do the research on the consignment arrangements, rather than anticipate their providing an agreement.

Merg Ross
8-Oct-2008, 17:02
From my experience a typical split on sales is 40% gallery/60% photographer. Some are 50/50. Get everything on paper. Best wishes for a succesful exhibit!

ASRafferty
8-Oct-2008, 17:12
Thanks, Merg...it's about people here in NH who knew him and thought they'd like to include his work in their opening. But I agree with those here who have said that you don't want to risk a relationship by failing to take care of business first.