PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about my Omega D2 (Dichroic)

soeren
1-Oct-2008, 23:38
Hi all
I just purchased the above enlarger. It came with a colorhead (Chromega) and three lenses. a 50mm on a flat lensboard, a 80mm on a cone and a 100mm Ektar (made in London) on a bigger cone. I found this site

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html

From that I understand that I don't need cones for focallenghts under 105mm, true?

Will the 100mm Ektar cover 4X5"? I suppose not, true?

Though I bought it for use with 4X5" and 6X9cm first and 6X7 second it might end up being my only enlarger so how is the performance with 35mm film compared to dedicated small enlargers?

Any thing I should know about it?

Then I got reminded about the silly american measurements :) It was mounted on a table with 6mm bolts and the seller found the original lensboard for me but offcource the original screws was long gone :( I guess I have to get the drill ready and mount it with bolts and nuts.
Kind regards
Søren

weasel
2-Oct-2008, 03:40
You are correct about not needing a cone for the shorter lenses.
I doubt the 100 will cover 4x5.
No reason at all that this enlarger shouldn't work as well as anything else for 35mm. when I had a dedicated darkroom, I used a focomat for 35mm, because I found one cheap, and it is a joy to use. But the images it produced are no better than what the d2 does.
Make sure the beast is well aligned is the only advice I would give.

soeren
2-Oct-2008, 23:09
Thanks
Kind regards

John Kasaian
2-Oct-2008, 23:49
D2 is a fine enlarger. There are lots of parts available to get them to do pretty near anything you'd want. A 135mm is the minimum lens you'd want for 4x5 negs. An excellent resource for info is Ask Harry at www.classic-enlargers.com

John Kasaian
2-Oct-2008, 23:52
I've often had to stifle the urge to pick up a second D2 enlarger for my wife, so I could refer to them as "our two D-2" :D

soeren
3-Oct-2008, 10:55
lol

soeren
14-Oct-2008, 02:37
Well a short update and a thank you for the answers regarding the Manual in another thread :) it turns out my enlarger is a D3 with the 3 lenses on the appropiate lensmounts and as I found out the focus track for a 75mm lens. I'll be in the market for a 135mm, the lenscone and -plate and a focus track that one and Im debating whether I should get the track for the 100mm too.
Ohh almost forgot. I drilled the threads in the baseboard and assembled the thing using 6mm bolts and nuts. Now it is standing in a spareroom waiting for my darkroom to be finishe.
Kind regards
Søren