PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a Leitz Wetzlar easel, and...

John Kasaian
29-Sep-2008, 16:28
I won a Leitz Wetzlar easel and it finally arrived. The baseboard had been given a crude spray with black paint so I had at it with some paint remover. I uncovered a square of thick white paint where the paper would sit, so I'm thinking that maybe the previous owner had a fogging problem hence the black paint. Is this white stuff original to these easels? I can't imagine such an uber engineered easel to have such a design flaw (if in fact it is the cause of a problem with fogging paper) A bit more paint remover and it looks as if the finish underneath with white stuff is different from the rest of the baseboard. Maybe it is factory original?
I don't know---does anyone here use one of these?
Also, what product should I use to refinish this baseboard similar to the original finish?

Peter K
30-Sep-2008, 11:48
The easel is originaly wood with a glossy finish. With a white insert to see the projected image. Fogging is only a problem with positive film but never with paper, fiber-base or rc, b&w or color.
So remove all the black paint, take a transparent laquer for the wood. If the white plate cannot be restored, mask the wooden parts and the brass grooves and spray it satin white.

Have fun

Peter K