PDA

View Full Version : Lens for 8x10

Brian_A
27-Sep-2008, 13:43
Hello,

I was wondering if a Schneider 210mm f/5.6 APO-Symmar will have a large enough image circle to work with an 8x10? Does anyone know a good resource (In print, preferably) to figure out what lenses will work with what formats?

Thanks,

-Brian

Mark Woods
27-Sep-2008, 14:02
Go to the home page and read the articles there on lenses and coverage. You can download them as an Excel spread sheet.

ic-racer
27-Sep-2008, 14:08
http://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/photo/LensCharts.pdf

My older 210 Symmar-S MC covers as shown in the diagram for the APO Symmar L 210. The green line would be the area of a clear and sharp image. It extends just past the 8x10 frame area. Works great for me.

Walter Calahan
27-Sep-2008, 14:11
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF8x10in.html

The Schneider you mention has a 305 mm image circle. Too small for 8x10 if you want any movement and no cut off corners.

A Schneider 210 mm Super-Angulon with a 500 mm image circle would be much better, or the Schneider Super-Symmar HM 210 mm with its 356 mm image circle.

Brian_A
27-Sep-2008, 18:04
Awesome everyone, thank you for your time in responding. Sometimes I don't even think about the fact that the base of this website has a great reference section. I'm not so concerned about movements right away, I can get more lenses down the line, but I want to make sure I have at least SOMETHING in my current setup to get me started. I figure if I do anything with 8x10 I'd end up getting an older style petzval.

Thanks Again!

-Brian

John Kasaian
27-Sep-2008, 21:55
A 240 G Claron works nice on the 8x10 with lots of wiggle room. There are plenty of them around, but Jim Galli has a 15" petzval in the 'for sale' section right now at a steal of a price that will cover 8x10. If that's the direction you want to go, why futz around?
Please buy it so I won't be tempted!

jim kitchen
27-Sep-2008, 23:33
Dear Brian,

The Schneider 210mm f/5.6 APO-Symmar will work with 8X10, because I tried that lens last year, while looking for an inexpensive 210 lens that would work with my camera. The movements are extremely tight, requiring a very good focal setup, while shooting at f22 or greater. I did not buy the APO lens, because of the shift limitations, but the lens performed better than expected. I decided to purchase the Schneider 210 XL instead, which is an unbelievable quality lens. The Schneider 210 XL amazes me every time I use it. :)

jim k

Brian_A
28-Sep-2008, 12:58
John,

I'll first have to find an 8x10 I could afford (IE Cheap). There are a few I'm looking at right now, but we'll see. I really wanted to not have to buy another lens right away if I bought an 8x10. I haven't used a barrel lens before as it is, so I'd have to find someone around my area to show me how to use one effectively. On that note, if I bought a petzval it'd be one that got really swirly.

-Brian

Brian_A
28-Sep-2008, 12:59
Mr. K,

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I don't think I'd screw around too much with movements. I'd pretty much just use it to make portraits in my studio once I get a proper lighting system later this year.

-Brian

Allen in Montreal
28-Sep-2008, 13:48
Hello,

I was wondering if a Schneider 210mm f/5.6 APO-Symmar will have a large enough image circle to work with an 8x10? Does anyone know a good resource (In print, preferably) to figure out what lenses will work with what formats?

Thanks,

-Brian

If you want to use a 210 on an 8x10 without going SA or XL and on a budget, the Fuji W is the best "normal" design 210 for that purpose. It has the largest circle of the bunch, around 350. One day I would love to have the 210 XL that JK uses, but for the moment, the Fuji is ok.

jim kitchen
28-Sep-2008, 15:38
Dear Brian,

I am going to assume that you need a lens to support portraiture work with your 4X5, and that you are looking for a lens that may work well with an 8X10 if you purchase the larger format camera body, correct? I did use my 210mm for portraiture once with my 8X10, because I wanted a wee bit more depth of field, and I quickly discovered why I would never use it again... :)

jim k

Brian_A
28-Sep-2008, 16:23
I already have a 210 Symmar, that's why I am asking. If I do end up getting a 8x10 I'd get a much "longer" lens. Prolly 300-600. But, for just starting out, I wanted to know if my 210mm would work fine until I work out a better solution...

-Brian

Brian Ellis
29-Sep-2008, 09:00
If you like the 210 focal length the 210 G Claron covers 8x10 with room to spare as you stop down smaller than about f16. I realize you wouldn't know that from the specs but it's a very nice lens for 8x10.