PDA

View Full Version : Busch Pressman Model C... I can't even open it...

NeuralMural
27-Sep-2008, 12:02
EDIT: HAHA! I just pressed the rather obscure below-the-surface button and it opened! Woo!

I'm a semi-professional photographer that has shot digital for my entire life and my grandfather just gave me his Busch Pressman Model C. I'm interested in opening it, cleaning it as well as I can, and perhaps using it eventually if I can learn enough about it...

I've searched the net and even found the original user manual, but the user manual simply assumes that I will know how to open it. I've managed to open the back to see what model it is, but I cannot open the front. I've turned the rightand left focusing knobs and lock knob every which-way to try to open it (without use of excessive force, lest I damage it) and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to open it...

Does anyone who owns one care to give me some advice? Thank you ^_^

bbjorkum
27-Sep-2008, 14:18
As always:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~lommen9/parent.html

;-)

Turner Reich
27-Sep-2008, 15:37
Convert it to a Graflok back. As it comes it only takes film holders, which is OK but roll film holders and Grafmatic holders are really cool to use.

Allen in Montreal
27-Sep-2008, 16:15
I just inherited a Speed Graphic not long ago, I am having a blast with it.
Enjoy, you are in for some frustrations, and some great fun too. :)

Ivan J. Eberle
27-Sep-2008, 17:16
The Busch Model C is a real purdy little gem. I don't own one mostly because there isn't any cut film available in E6 or C41 emulsions. Only B&W is available for it, and special order these days at that.

If the advice to convert the camera to a Graflok back and to obtain 120 roll-film holders for it seems like a lot of effort to go to-- yes, it is. The Graflock backs in this size are scarce and there's some hacksie involved to swap them out. Slightly complicating matters is that to use this arrangement hand-held (or conveniently, even from a tripod), the rangefinder adjustment as it relates to the film plane will have to be precisely accurate in order to focus. This also assumes you have a Mod C version with a Kalart rangefinder, which may or may not still be present after all this time if it even was purchased with one.

So why bother with any of that? For starters, you could ditch having to have a darkroom to develop sheet film because you're much more likely to find a lab that can run 120 roll film still.

But besides the sentimental value or perhaps nostalgia, the only tangible benefit to shooting medium format in a Busch Model C over a more modern MF camera, say a Pentax 67 or Mamiya RB/RZ, is perspective control. Which may, or may not be, worth all the bother.

Glenn Thoreson
27-Sep-2008, 18:05
I'm not sure I understand your question. You say you've turned the focus knobs. That indicates you have the front door open and locked in position. Also you indicate you found the hidden button to open the door. That's where you lost me. What do you mean when you say you can't "open" it? Do you mean you can't get the lens standard to move forward, as I assume? There are two little knobs onthe bottom of the standard. Pinch them together and the standard will pull forward. Be sure the focus rail is all the way back when you do this. Move the standard out to the infinity stops. If your rangefinder is in proper working order, it should agree with the focus scale on the bed and the image on the ground glass. If you want to shoot roll film, there are options out there that will allow you to do so without hacking your camera. The Adapt-A-Roll 620 will work fine and will take 120 film on the supply side. You would need a 620 take up spool. Also, the Graham roll film holder is a really neat one for 120, though very rarely seen. You can mount a Suydam roll holder by removing the focus panel and attach the holder with the screws and a couple of little homemade clamps. 2X3 B&W sheet film is readily available. Do you have sheet film holders?