PDA

View Full Version : Question.......

ignatiusjk
24-Sep-2008, 08:09
I recently had to rescan all of my 4x5 negs and the program seems to be running very slow. My question is this. I set my target size to 16x20 and my dpi to 400 will those numbers slow my computer down. When I try to adjust the sharpness it takes forever to adjust.I thought that maybe my dpi was set to high and was slowing down the computer. Is 400 dpi to low or high for a 16x20 size print. Thanks.

ignatiusjk
24-Sep-2008, 08:10
I forgot to mention I'm using a Epson V700 scanner with Windows Vista.

BarryS
24-Sep-2008, 09:11
If you're scanning at 4x5 neg in order to get a 400ppi 16x20 file--you're scanning at 1600ppi resolution. That's a very reasonable file size for a current computer. Do you have a fast dual or quad core computer with 3-4 GB of RAM? If not, Vista may not be a good operating system for you.

Ron Marshall
24-Sep-2008, 09:14
If you mean 400 dpi in the finished print that is not too large, and gives you a bit of leeway for cropping.

That will result in a huge file though, and will be slow to manipulate.

bernal
24-Sep-2008, 09:21
I recently had to rescan all of my 4x5 negs and the program seems to be running very slow. My question is this. I set my target size to 16x20 and my dpi to 400 will those numbers slow my computer down. When I try to adjust the sharpness it takes forever to adjust.I thought that maybe my dpi was set to high and was slowing down the computer. Is 400 dpi to low or high for a 16x20 size print. Thanks.

It sound like you need more RAM memory. How much of it do have? I would suggest installing as much as your computer can take or you can afford. It is cheap these days and it really helps to speed things up. In addition to memory, it would also help installing a small hard drive to use specifically as a Photoshop scratch disk (assuming you use Photoshop) if you don't have one yet.

bernal