PDA

View Full Version : Microtek ArtixScan M1 Pro

Ed Richards
23-Sep-2008, 06:04
The Microtek ArtixScan M1 Pro was a hot topic about a year ago. Folks had problems with the software, which made it had to tell how well the scanner really worked. How about an update - are the problems solved? How does it work for LF compared to the Epson 750? I have been happy with my Canon 9950, but it was discontinued and is almost 4 years old, so I am thinking about replacements when it dies.

Nathan Potter
23-Sep-2008, 08:26
I'm also in the market for a new scanner and am thinking M1 Pro. Anybody with recent experience and comments on scanning 4X5 to 8X10? Comments on driving software?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Colin Graham
23-Sep-2008, 08:35
I'll be curious what others say, but I'm not doing too well with my 8 month old M1. The auto focus broke last month, and it was a two-week effort exchanging an email a day with tech support to get a new one. I wouldn't mind so much but I had to repeat all the steps I'd said I'd already done in my initial email- so pretty silly ones too, and each 'suggestion' took several days to get through. Almost as if it was automated. They have no phone tech support, only email.

I had to pay for shipping one way, and had to send mine in before they'd sent out a replacement. (For comparison, when I RMAed an epson printer recently, they over-nighted a new one, and included a free shipping label for the return.) I don't mind that so much either except the replacement they sent is producing lines in the scan, so this may turn into actually paying for a new scanner through shipping costs. I haven't heard back from tech support yet about the new problems. It's not dust on the calibration strip or mirrors, I cleaned the trays and scanner itself thoroughly, several times. It may be dust on the sensor itself, but that seems to be inaccessible without dismantling it.

Anyway, my main worry has been realized about this scanner since I heard it screech and vibrate for the first time- not a good enough build to sustain such self inflicted abuses over the long run. I don't see how the sensors, stepping motors and other delicate parts could stand up to quarters dancing off the thing while its running.

A shame because it is a good scanner for the price when it works, and I had been happy with it. I hope others are faring better with theirs.

Jim Noel
23-Sep-2008, 08:42
I tired an M1 and found it inferior to my i900. I still use the i900 with pleasure. I believe they are still available.

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2008, 09:37
Rumor has a new Epson on the way? Any facts on that front?

BarryS
23-Sep-2008, 12:08
Once I got over the initial software problems, my M1 has been performing well. The autofocus adds some complexity (and noise) to the scanner, but it works fairly well. I'm very happy with the 4x5 glassless carrier system--I just wish they had an 8x10 glassless insert. I scan 8x10 on the glass, but have to deal with more dust and the occasional Newton's rings. The late great Ted Harris thought the M1 slightly edged out the V700/V750 in resolution, but I think the scanners roughly comparable as long as you use a third part adjustable height holder for the Epson.

Dan Baumbach
23-Sep-2008, 13:34
I running an M1 Pro under vista and I love it. Color is extremely accurate and sharpness is far superior to my Epson 3200. I've made prints up to 19x24 with is with acceptable sharpness.

drew.saunders
23-Sep-2008, 13:41
I bought mine after they had updated the software, so never saw any of the banding problems others talked about. Once I figured out how to get the Microtek software to scan B&W negatives properly (scan them as positives, and invert them in the scanning software via a preference), it's been working like a charm. I'd recommend the "Pro" so you at least have the option of the useful version of SilverFast (Studio, not the "SE Plus" which can't do 16bits/channel). The glassless negative carrier is nice, no more newton rings, but not an overwhelming reason to get this over the Epson. The auto-focus seems to work well, but it sure is a noisy beast when it scans.

Drew

anchored
23-Sep-2008, 15:04
I've been using the ArtixScan M1 Pro for a little over a month on 4x5 film... altho' so far have scanned only color positives. The glassless carriers are a pain in the butt to load, and it is indeed a noisy beast, but... no complaints, no problems with software or banding... and quite happy with results

irisbb
13-Oct-2008, 10:13
I just wanted to share this review on Amazon as it discusses the issue with the "lines" appearing on some of the Epson scans.

here is the link to the review:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfection-Photo-Color-Scanner/dp/B000EZY19W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223914006&sr=1-1

and here is the section of the review that might be helpful and explain this issue for some of you.

* Another problem relates to a hardware design flaw that I am very surprised that no one has mentioned. After scanning my first several batches of slides and examining the results carefully, I went into a mode of scanning without taking the time to examine every resulting image. After scanning a LOT of slides, I started reviewing the results and was horrified to notice that on certain batches, there were 2 faint vertical lines (one green, one blue) down certain scans. I finally noticed that the lines seemed to be on 4 consecutive slides out of every 12 (the slide holder contains 12 slides), so that was a clue. Notice that the top of the scanner has a transparent slit down the middle - apparently this is a sexy feature so you can see where the scanner light is and watch its motion. Well, it also admits other light into the scanner, at least under certain ambient light conditions, ruining the scans of the 4 slides in the middle column. I fixed this by taping a piece of cardboard to the top of the scanner. And now I have to re-scan a lot of messed-up images.

cobalt
13-Oct-2008, 15:35
Interesting. I had problems with strange lines on a Microtek ... the one with the glass carrier that preceded the M1. I hated the thing. I am still using, and making more than decent scans with the Epson 4990 that it was replaced with.