PDA

View Full Version : Mark Kapono's bellows?

C. D. Keth
21-Sep-2008, 13:33
Has anyone had Mark Kapono make new bellows for them? I'm wondering if his work compares to the other couple of places I've been recommended.

David Karp
21-Sep-2008, 16:39
Christopher,

Check older posts on this forum regarding Mr. Kapano.

I live in L.A., but I work in Rancho Cucamonga. I had Jim at Western Bellows make a new bellows for my WP Improved Seneca. He did a very nice job, and was a pleasure to deal with. I was able to drop the camera off because he is located not far from my work, and discuss my needs with him. I picked it up when it was ready. A positive experience all around. It might be worth driving out there for a visit. Also, saves the shipping costs.

Glenn Thoreson
21-Sep-2008, 16:51
Be afraid. :(

C. D. Keth
21-Sep-2008, 17:56
Be afraid. :(

Yeah, glad I took the advice to do a back search. I did that yesterday but must have misspelled something. I didn't get any results yesterday.

Anyway, definitely not going through him. How about Western Bellows? They're not far from me, I could drive.

Rafael Garcia
21-Sep-2008, 18:03
Here's what Kapono's bellows look like. Excellent work, and he folded them for me in one week, just before his problems started. In fact, this camera is on his website!
Of course, you know the rest of the story...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h285/ragc01/eager.jpg

Kuzano
21-Sep-2008, 18:15
He started a bellows for me in December 2007. Based on my research I sent the money (not cheap). He sent pics twice... once mid construct, once very nearly finished. Then, Nothing... Nada... no contact.

I just made an attempt two days ago again. The man owes me money, or a bellows. I really need the bellows. It's for a Graflex Super Speed.. unique bellows.

Glenn Thoreson
22-Sep-2008, 11:42
Western Bellows does quality work.

Peter De Smidt
22-Sep-2008, 15:49
I recommend Camera Bellows in the UK. I prefer their work to that of Western Bellows.

Kevin Crisp
22-Sep-2008, 15:53
Western Bellows replaced the bellows on my DD Special and I was completely satisfied with it. They were OE suppliers at one point.

David A. Goldfarb
22-Sep-2008, 17:27
I've used Camera Bellows UK for an 11x14" bellows and am very satisfied.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Sep-2008, 19:04
I had Jim at Western Bellow make my bellows for my 8x20 and he did a great job. I almost was going to go with Kapono and then found out the horror stories. I would have been out a lot of money and my 8x20 would not have gotten finished. If you are close to Western I can highly recommend them.

Jim

C. D. Keth
23-Sep-2008, 20:17
I had Jim at Western Bellow make my bellows for my 8x20 and he did a great job. I almost was going to go with Kapono and then found out the horror stories. I would have been out a lot of money and my 8x20 would not have gotten finished. If you are close to Western I can highly recommend them.

Jim

I am actually quite close, about 35 miles. I'm going to call tomorrow.

Jim Fitzgerald
23-Sep-2008, 20:35
My office is in Norco and when Jim finished mine I picked it up from him. Great work, beautiful bellows and looks good on my walnut 8x20. He is very fair with his pricing.

Jim

Don Newburn
6-Jan-2009, 16:10
I have sent numerous e-mails complete with copies of e-bay transactions for a couple Isolette bellows and one Isolette w/new bellows. Got two or three replies that indicated he was off on some junket or another and together with school work he hadn't gotten around to building the two bellows, but soon would. This all started in March of 2007/ All communications from him ceased in April. My last attempt was a certified letter which came back as undeliverable to the address he shows on his web-site in Hilo. I guess I can't even use E-bay to sanction him since I trusted him and waited wll beyond the "feedback" time. Not a great deal of money ($90.00) but a significant dissappointment in the man.