PDA

View Full Version : Budget daylight development for 8x10

C. D. Keth
13-Sep-2008, 23:41
Yeah, I said it.:eek: I paired the words "budget" and "8x10."

I'm shooting 8x10 and I don't have unlimited cash to throw around on development gadgets nor do I have the space or the money for a darkroom. I've pretty much decided that my best option is probably a couple of BTZS tubes and a few trays in the kitchen. I realize that I won't exactly be a speed demon this way but that's OK. I'm not going to shoot massive quantities of film and even development time is fun time for me. I'm strange like that.

Does this seem reasonable? Is there something I'm missing that will crash my party? Is there a better cheaper option you're hoarding?

erie patsellis
14-Sep-2008, 07:08
even better would be using a unicolor print drum and roller base, should cost about $20 on ebay.

Brian Ellis
14-Sep-2008, 07:53
BTZS tubes work very well, I used them for 4x5 and 8x10 for years. Only problem is the 8x10 tubes haven't been made for quite a few years now. They come up for sale used here and on ebay from time to time but you may have to be patient.

Many people make their own tubes out of PVC or a similar material but I didn't find my home-made 8x10 tubes to work very well so I used the real thing for 8x10. The "real" BTZS tubes have screw-on caps. When you make your own you have to rely on friction and I found it difficult to get the caps on tight enough to stop developer from leaking but loose enough that I could quickly remove the tubes when development time was up.

Ash
14-Sep-2008, 08:46
Paterson Orbital

CG
14-Sep-2008, 09:05
Rather than set your heart on some perfect item, then find it unavailable, why not make life more tolerable. When looking for a restaurant in urban areas where parking can be a bear, I just cruise various areas with restaurants I like till I find parking. That decides which restaurant I go to.

Here - the largeformatphotography.info classifieds, apug's classifieds and Craigslist's photo section are an awfully good way to find real bargains right now. I'd just grab the first workable option that pops up at a low price then keep watching the net as you figure out what you really want.

C

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2008, 11:11
FWIW I use a Unicolor and it works fine! If you are dexterous enough you can do 2-up in an 11x14 drum. I've read about the Patterson Orbital and it is a real cool looking device, but I think they are pretty rare on this side of the Atlantic.

John Kasaian
14-Sep-2008, 11:13
Yeah, I said it.:eek: I paired the words "budget" and "8x10."

I'm shooting 8x10 and I don't have unlimited cash

There are quite a few of us around! :)

C. D. Keth
14-Sep-2008, 12:01
There are quite a few of us around! :)

That's good to know. I'm either not as crazy as I thought or I'm in good company.:D

Ginette
14-Sep-2008, 13:23
BTZS tubes work very well, I used them for 4x5 and 8x10 for years. Only problem is the 8x10 tubes haven't been made for quite a few years now. They come up for sale used here and on ebay from time to time but you may have to be patient.

You can have new BTZS tubes 8x10 abd 4x5 on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/The-View-Camera-Store with full explanation on how to use them. Not recommended to use 8x10 for 4x5 sheets.
I also take a look for Paterson orbital, one 8x10 unit used can be found actually on ebay -> item 270274508941. Did someone process 4x5 film on a 8x10 unit ? Is larger unit available and work great too ?

venchka
14-Sep-2008, 13:32
I stumbled into a workable solution, but I don't process 8x10 film yet. While rummaging in a local shop, I found a Jobo print drum that holds 2 8x10 sheets-paper or film. It came with the proper lid with the proper light trap for prints/sheet film. On another table I found a Unicolor motor base. Total: $38. And, the drum is big enough for 11x14 if you ever get a bigger camera. Sorry, but the Jobo number escapes me.

I also have 3 Beseler tanks and a motor base. Those were free as parts of a darkroom I was given.

Deals are out there.

Jobo numbers: 2830 for 2 8x10s. My drum is a 2840 which holds larger sizes as well. Either will work for 2 8x10s. They rotate nicely on either Uniroller or Beseler motor bases.

Brian Ellis
14-Sep-2008, 23:44
You can have new BTZS tubes 8x10 abd 4x5 on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/The-View-Camera-Store with full explanation on how to use them. Not recommended to use 8x10 for 4x5 sheets.
I also take a look for Paterson orbital, one 8x10 unit used can be found actually on ebay -> item 270274508941. Did someone process 4x5 film on a 8x10 unit ? Is larger unit available and work great too ?

That's interesting. Maybe they started making them again or maybe The View Camera Store found some old stock. I know that for a long time The View Camera Store didn't have them available new and when I asked Fred about it he said demand wasn't great enough to justify continuing to make them in 8x10 size. That was about 5-6 years ago. In any event, thanks for the correction, I'm sure the OP will be glad to know they're available.

John O'Connell
15-Sep-2008, 14:00
The BTZS 8x10 tubes seems to go in and out of production regularly. Sometimes they exist, sometimes they don't. Alan Brubaker sells 8x10 film tubes that appear to be pneumatic document delivery tubes; I have a few. They're light-tight and appear to yield even developing.

Film tubes might not work in your kitchen unless you can get it pretty dark---you have to open the tubes to change solutions after developing, and with no darkroom it means placing tube caps full of developer in your changing bag. Think about it before you try.

A used drum that allows pouring solutions in and out through a baffled cap would probably suit you better.

Don7x17
15-Sep-2008, 15:53
That's interesting. Maybe they started making them again or maybe The View Camera Store found some old stock. I know that for a long time The View Camera Store didn't have them available new and when I asked Fred about it he said demand wasn't great enough to justify continuing to make them in 8x10 size. That was about 5-6 years ago. In any event, thanks for the correction, I'm sure the OP will be glad to know they're available.

Apparently Fred found some tubes from some welding supplier. Maybe held welding rods?

in any event, both 4x5 and 8x10 are now available at the View Camera Store. Get them now while they have them....and if you are interested in Jobo, get the 3005's while old stock still exists.