PDA

View Full Version : Old Advertising Photograph - see attached

worlda02
8-Sep-2008, 06:15
Hello,

Just thought I'd share this photo - it looks look the photographer, E. (C. or G.) Brown of Ellsworth, Kansas took this photo as part of his advertising. Her hat says 'Brown' and I'm guessing that on her dress are some of the photographs he took. Has anyone seen anything like this before? (The back is unlabeled/unmarked.)

Thanks,
David

David A. Goldfarb
8-Sep-2008, 06:42
That's pretty wild.

MIke Sherck
8-Sep-2008, 07:07
Apparently, advertising was just as tasteless then as it is now. Does her little paper crown actually have his name on it? ROFL!

Mike

BarryS
8-Sep-2008, 07:27
Big props to that girl for putting up with the ridiculous outfit. I'm sure Brown's studio business shot through the roof once that photo was released. ;)

JBrunner
8-Sep-2008, 08:20
Any advertising is good advertising. Case in point.... his is still working......

lenser
8-Sep-2008, 08:39
Makes me wonder if this isn't a home grown costume used in some sort of school or community pageant. I've seen some pretty wild outfits in my ancestor's family snapshots from around 1900-1910 when towns, churches and schools did lots of community oriented events. Pre-radio and TV, they had to figure out something to do for entertainment.

zenny
18-Jul-2012, 03:47
Ad practices changed with times. So with this promo of Brown. Looks strange to us today, but maybe appreciated as "creative" in those days! Who knows? ;-)

And I say the picture holds good purpose still as we are discussing it still. Anything that catches the eyes of the bypassers (in online discussion boards, forum members) is a good promotion!

/zenny

---

Support http://thehumanape.com

MDR
18-Jul-2012, 09:47
That's what I call product placement very forward thinking photographer :)

Andrew O'Neill
18-Jul-2012, 10:12
I would say that this photographer was way ahead of his time. Isn't she giving us the "Spielberg Face"?

dsphotog
18-Jul-2012, 23:43
Clever idea!
I wonder if I can convince my wife to parade about town in a frock festooned with portraits & wedding pix I've shot.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Aug-2012, 04:04
Leave it in the closet long enough, and it will come back in fashion:

http://www.ecouterre.com/made-from-recycled-film-slides-this-led-dress-will-light-up-your-night/

(Hat tip to "batwister" on APUG.org)

Jim Jones
12-Aug-2012, 06:07
The photographer, E. C. Brown, was active in Ellsworth around 1890 according to my family photos.

Sirius Glass
12-Aug-2012, 11:06
It is obvious to me that the woman is not happy. She is not smiling. No surprises here.

kansasandrew
19-Mar-2015, 13:29
David-
Are you still in possession on this photo? I am from Ellsworth and many of the family photos were taken by Mr. Brown.

r_a_feldman
19-Mar-2015, 19:29
Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Yes. It was online, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Might even have been in the Lounge here.

Bob

Edit: Oops! Might help if I looked at the original date of this thread. No wonder it looked familiar.