PDA

View Full Version : Wet mounting problems

rickwinkler
7-Sep-2008, 16:27
HELP!!!

I'm trying to use the wet mounting tray with guide provided with my Epson V750 for the first time. The fluid is Kami 2001 and the mylar is Aztek scanner overlay graphic arts film. After laying down some fluid, the 4x5 negative, more fluid then the mylar, I use a 4 in soft rubber brayer. I can not get all the air bubbles out to save my life. Am I missing something here? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you in advance,

Rick W

Bryan Lemasters
7-Sep-2008, 16:56
Rick

I usually just use a cleaning cloth to "squeegee" the excess fluid toward the outer edges - the cleaning cloth then absorbs that excess as it is pressed out from under the mylar.

Bryan

Peter De Smidt
7-Sep-2008, 17:27
I pour a line of fluid about 4 inches long for 4x5 sheet of film. I then place the 4" edge of the negative right next to the line of fluid and lay the negative smoothly down with a slight bend into the fluid. I then repeat with the mylar. Make sure to use a big enough sheet of mylar. Then use a scanner wipe to move out any bubbles. There shouldn't be too many.

vinny
7-Sep-2008, 17:50
Use a lens cleaning cloth, it won't scratch the mylar like a scan wipe/cloth could.

rickwinkler
7-Sep-2008, 17:57
I need to use more fluid then, the information I found stated to use a few drops, I actually used around ten so that still wasn't nearly enough. Also, I ordered the scanner wipes along with the other supplies but those did not show up with the original order. Will one of those microfiber clothes work without scratching the mylar?

mccormickstudio
7-Sep-2008, 18:24
I had this problem and found a heavier piece of matte mylar/plastic in a craft store which does not scratch. I use a postcard to burnish the bubbles out from center to the edge. I also spray the top of this mylar/plastic with fluid because I've noticed that if I get fluid unevenly on the top it shows up in the scan. The wet scanning means a lot more dust editing, and some small amount if bubbles seems to be unavoidable. Welcome to digital post-production.

D. Bryant
7-Sep-2008, 19:38
I need to use more fluid then, the information I found stated to use a few drops, I actually used around ten so that still wasn't nearly enough. Also, I ordered the scanner wipes along with the other supplies but those did not show up with the original order. Will one of those microfiber clothes work without scratching the mylar?
Use PEC cleaning wipes. I don't recommend lens wipes. Have you watched the wet mounting videos at Aztec.com. I think you may these videos helpful.

Don Bryant

Bryan Lemasters
7-Sep-2008, 21:08
The wet scanning means a lot more dust editing.....

Craig,

That's weird. For me one of the pleasant surprises of wet mounting was that it reduced my dust editing considerably. Hmmm........

Bryan

Bruce Watson
8-Sep-2008, 05:07
I'm trying to use the wet mounting tray with guide provided with my Epson V750 for the first time. The fluid is Kami 2001 and the mylar is Aztek scanner overlay graphic arts film. After laying down some fluid, the 4x5 negative, more fluid then the mylar, I use a 4 in soft rubber brayer. I can not get all the air bubbles out to save my life. Am I missing something here? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Without watching you do the work it's of course very difficult to say what you might being doing wrong or right for that matter.

But... in drum scanning, one of the sources of bubbles is not using enough mounting fluid. This comes from two main sources. First, not laying down enough fluid in the first place. Second, working slowly can allow enough mounting fluid to evaporate that you have insufficient fluid left to make a good mount. This second one is mostly found with Kami which evaporates very quickly.

rickwinkler
8-Sep-2008, 06:37
I wish I would have known about the video on Aztek.com. That explains it all, thanks for that piece of news!

Rick