PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using an Epson 4800 on an Intel Mac with 10.5?

Michael Mutmansky
31-Aug-2008, 20:53
I've got a new Mac Pro computer here, and am trying to get the drivers for the Epson 4800 working, but I don't think they are, and I'm at a loss to figure out what is happening... I'm hoping that someone has some experience with the problem, and can tell me whether there is a solution or not.

I installed the most current driver (I think, I got it from the Epson site), and it is working in that I can get a print to come out of it from Photoshop CS2. However, there is nowhere in the driver for me to turn off color management, and nowhere to set paper type, DPI settings, bidirectional printing, etc. that I can do with the comparable Windows-based driver. So, how am I supposed to set up a color profile for my paper and printer and not have it double-applying color management?

I think there is something not working properly, because I just can't believe that Epson would write this cobbled of a driver. If I go to the 'system preferences' and to the printer settings, there are no adjustable options for the printer other than setting the sharing. Through Photoshop, I cannot access any windows to set values either (at least not that I've found, and certainly not in a manner consistent with the way it is done in Windows XP).

Can someone tell me what is going on?

Thanks,

---Michael

Andrew Eschbacher
31-Aug-2008, 22:21
Michael,

Sent you a PM.

JohnnyV
2-Sep-2008, 08:26
Have same setup as you Michael and no problems. But the 10.5.x Leopard Mac/Epson driver interface is a lot different than 10.4.x. All the settings are there to change. There's a pulldown menu named 'Layout', click on that and go to "Printer Settings" or "Color Management.

Jeffrey Sipress
2-Sep-2008, 09:34
Same setup here. I had a hard time making the conversion to 10.5 with the Epson driver. I found a tip on some forum to use the 4800 driver from the UK Epson site, and all is well now. Made a BIG difference.

Michael Mutmansky
2-Sep-2008, 11:04
Yup, I got it figured out with the help of an LF Forum member. I can't figure out why they put the settings in the place they did, but all's well, and I've been pumping out 17x65 inch test prints for an upcoming museum exhibit. I'll have an announcement about that a little later this fall.

All's good in the world again...

Jeffery, what is different about the Epson UK driver?

---Michael

Harley Goldman
2-Sep-2008, 15:48
Yeah, they hid it well. Way different than the PC setup. It took me quite a while to find it. Drove me nuts.

Roger Hein
30-Sep-2008, 07:22
I've just updated my 4800 drivers. Okay it IS driving me nuts! WHERE have they put the settings menus?

Roger...

Roger Hein
30-Sep-2008, 07:36
Disregard - figured it out. Had to remove and then re-choose the printer in the SysPrefs. WHEW!!!!!

Jeffrey Sipress
30-Sep-2008, 09:53
Michael, the supplied driver simply did not have many of the print settings that we all use and were previously available. On the UK driver, they showed right up and worked fine from the start.

Harley, when did you start using a mac?

Harley Goldman
30-Sep-2008, 15:49
I got a Mac Pro about 4-5 months ago. The Dell was fading into the night.