PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for Gitzo...confused - help?

BradS
30-Aug-2008, 08:48
I'm looking for a CF Gitzo kit suitable for carrying far into the field. The camera I have in mind is a moderately light weight (about 3Kg) 4x5/5x7 camera. Here are some wishes/requirements:

Weight is a major concern.
I really like the self leveling column thingy too.
I don't need it to be very tall.
I'd really like the folded length to be less than about 22 inches.

What do you suggest? Old or new - the model numbers seem to have changed somewhere in the recent past.

(cross post warning: I also asked a similar question on apug but didn't really get any response...I apologize in advance for the schizophrenia that this causes).

Joanna Carter
30-Aug-2008, 09:28
I chose the GT-2530LVL and have never regretted it; just right for the job

Keith Pitman
30-Aug-2008, 09:47
For my lightweight tripod for long carries and traveling, I have a Benro C-227n6. With the RRS BH-40 head it weighs 4 lb. 4 oz. I worked out a way to remove the column, which I don't use and which saved a little weight. It works well for a 4x5 in the circumstances I described, although I prefer a slightly heavier tripod generally. The Benro is a Chinese Gitzo clone and is well made. They also sell for a good deal less than Gitzos.

wfwhitaker
30-Aug-2008, 10:04
I think you should cross post this on photo.net for full effect.

I've always found the Gitzo product line and nomenclature confusing. That may be why I've never pursued getting one until very recently when I bought a used 1228 MkII from a forum member. It's deceptively small (I'm a reformed Ries user, don't forget), but seems quite adequate for my 6 1/2 x 8 1/2.

Brian Ellis
30-Aug-2008, 10:39
Why a Gitzo? I'd suggest looking at the Feisol line and see if one will fit your needs for a half or so of the cost of a comparable Gitzo. I have a Gitzo 1325 and a Feisol. The Gitzo stays home most of the time, I take the Feisol almost everywhere. The 1325 was a nice tripod for about $500 in its day, the Feisol is at least as good for $200.

BradS
30-Aug-2008, 11:50
I think you should cross post this on photo.net for full effect.

I've always found the Gitzo product line and nomenclature confusing. That may be why I've never pursued getting one until very recently when I bought a used 1228 MkII from a forum member. It's deceptively small (I'm a reformed Ries user, don't forget), but seems quite adequate for my 6 1/2 x 8 1/2.

Hi Will,

Their web site is such a pain...I wish they had one page with a chart that compared the specs of all the legs in a given series at least.

Does the 1228 MkII have that self leveling center column semi-ball thingy? or, do you know if it can it be added by chance? I've seen a few of these in the classifieds...apparently none currently available.

BradS
30-Aug-2008, 11:51
I chose the GT-2530LVL and have never regretted it; just right for the job

Hmmm, now that one looks very promising. Thanks for the suggestion.

wfwhitaker
30-Aug-2008, 12:47
Does the 1228 MkII have that self leveling center column semi-ball thingy? or, do you know if it can it be added by chance?

No, it doesn't. Acratech makes some leveling heads, though, which look attractive.

gary mulder
30-Aug-2008, 12:51
I use a G1257LVL with my linhof tech. Even on windy days it is adequate. Most of the time I place the camera without any "head" on it and the leveling thingy has more than sufficient movement. I had to make the column rotating.

Tony Flora
30-Aug-2008, 12:54
I second the GT-2530LVL, I have the 2530 and it is one one of the best purchases I have made. Super light weight, amazing fit and finish, and very sturdy. I haven't thought about another tripod since I bought it and I am a recovering gear junky.

Joanna Carter
30-Aug-2008, 15:03
Hmmm, now that one looks very promising. Thanks for the suggestion.
Oh, and marry it to a Manfrotto 410 head :cool:

Walter Calahan
30-Aug-2008, 16:01
Go to Really Right Stuff's web site. They have an excellent tutorial on picking a tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/tripods/index.html

Keith Pitman
30-Aug-2008, 17:38
Oh, and marry it to a Manfrotto 410 head :cool:

Boy, do I disagree! I like the functionality of the 410 head, but that thing is heavy and tall. If you can work with a ballhead, look at the RRS ballheads. They are the best today (IMO).

BradS
30-Aug-2008, 19:18
I'm really trying to avoid a ball head...for several reasons. I was hoping to get away with a leveling thing and, perhaps, a simple low profile pano head.

Frank Petronio
30-Aug-2008, 21:27
You understand that the Gitzos and Fiesols and maybe some of the other clones are numbered 1,2,3, 4, 5 depending on leg diameter/weight? Twenty years ago, the metal Gitzos were numbered with three digits, like 326, 413, 504, etc. Then came the previous generation of metal and carbon-fiber Gitzos that had four digits and were numbered like 1228, 1348, 1548, etc... And most recently, they started to be numbered with the size first, like 2457, 3450, etc...

You probably want something in the two-series for a light field camera.

The Gitzo leveling ball assembly replaces the center column in the 3 and 5-series tripods. They don't make anything smaller. But it works really well and for larger tripod it is nice. But you'll have to hunt the third parties for something smaller.

A "half ball" head with 30 degrees of movement would be pretty slick and save some weight. I'll suggest it to RRS and make a fortune ;-)

gary mulder
31-Aug-2008, 00:11
I'm really trying to avoid a ball head...for several reasons. I was hoping to get away with a leveling thing and, perhaps, a simple low profile pano head.

That is the way I use my 1257LVL. After removing the tip that prevents the center column from rotating I was able to miss out the pano head.

Lenny Eiger
31-Aug-2008, 11:53
I'm looking for a CF Gitzo kit suitable for carrying far into the field. The camera I have in mind is a moderately light weight (about 3Kg) 4x5/5x7 camera. Here are some wishes/requirements:

Weight is a major concern.
I really like the self leveling column thingy too.
I don't need it to be very tall.
I'd really like the folded length to be less than about 22 inches.

What do you suggest? Old or new - the model numbers seem to have changed somewhere in the recent past.

I have a 1228 MK2 for sale - going to be priced for quick sale... It's got 4 legs, carbon fiber, folds to less than 22. I used it for my 4x5 Ebony, probably about a dozen times. It did very well... It's in perfect working condition. You'll have to get a head of your choice...

Let me know if you are interested..

Lenny

Joanna Carter
31-Aug-2008, 13:07
... It's got 4 legs
Hmmm, are you sure this is a tripod ?? :confused: :D

Lenny Eiger
31-Aug-2008, 13:53
Hmmm, are you sure this is a tripod ?? :confused: :D

Well, maybe its a quadapod. ;-)

Of course, four extensions in a single leg is what I meant....

Lenny

Pete Watkins
31-Aug-2008, 15:29
If you buy a second hand one and need spares their service is crap. C'mon Gitzo sue me I've got the paperwork to proove it.
Pete.

BradS
1-Sep-2008, 20:24
If you buy a second hand one and need spares their service is crap. C'mon Gitzo sue me I've got the paperwork to proove it.
Pete.

Hmmm, Pete...Thanks for this. This is bad news indeed.

Frank Petronio
1-Sep-2008, 20:34
The Gitzo distributor and service in the UK is not the same as the USA. Bogen Imaging isn't bad, prices are high for Gitzo parts but that is no surprise.

I think Gitzo makes smaller and taller models, which might be of interest to you (I loved my super tall 3-series CF Gitzo but it was super-$$$).

But for a general purpose 4x5/5x7 tripod I would seriously consider buying one from Kerry at ReallyBigCameras.com. And I know Kerry would provide super service.