PDA

View Full Version : My first LF exhibition June 15-July 15, 2008

Patrik Roseen
18-Aug-2008, 13:13
Hello, some of you might remember that I was asking for advice for my first LF exhibition earlier this summer.
Well I did promise some digital snapshots from the setup to show you what the result looked like.
The exhibition includes both the bw prints and the three large color canvas prints.

As you can see the environment is not a 'real' gallery but a café in the Stockholm archipelago.

I am really happy for all the suggestions I received from people on this forum.

Cheers, Patrik.

Patrik's LF exhibition 2008 (http://www.fotosidan.se/gallery/view.htm?ID=214760)

Note: The link is a bit slow...click 'Förstora' under the picture to make it larger.

Capocheny
18-Aug-2008, 13:20
Hi Patrik,

Congratulations... it's a thrill to be exhibiting for the first time regardless of the venue. :)

The panoramic shot looks like a very nice image.

Cheers

Mark Woods
18-Aug-2008, 13:24
Congratulations! I'm sure you're getting good comments from the viewers.

MW

Bruce Watson
18-Aug-2008, 13:56
Super! Lovely work! Nicely presented too! Glad it's worked out for you so far. You should get many good comments and hopefully some print sales.

matthew blais
18-Aug-2008, 14:34
Cool..Nice job.
Good thing about exhibiting in café's is people stay and eat...and hopefully contemplate purchases..

Good luck

darr
18-Aug-2008, 14:59
Congratulations and wonderful images!

Best,
Darr

Patrik Roseen
19-Aug-2008, 14:15
Glad you liked it.

I look back on this as a great opportunity to learn alot of new things.

1) the setup and the photographs chosen were not the same as I first thought,quite a mental journey really

2) the importance of deciding frames, mats, papersize etc before starting the darkroom work. I was really close to deciding to buy 'the wrong frames and especially glas'.

3) the visual value of the total design of groups of photographs,i.e. including also the frames, tonal values, technique...rather than single images in isolation, e.g. the contact prints

4) I had a very positive experience from choosing to work with the best negatives first. Encouraged by the good result I continued without needing to be too stressed that I would not have anything nice to display

5) When there were only a few days left before the opening I still felt the exhibition was not complete. I am very happy that I reinstalled my bathroom darkroom to make the final additions to the portfolio.

6) The logistics of paperprints, frames and mats plus the large canvas roles and wooden frames, tools, tape and strings needed also to be thought of

7) When working with the prints in a 'public' place like in the café, visitors seem to think that whatever is laying around can be picked up and examined..like in a shop or something. I was amazed of how adults just allowed them self to touch and move things around as I was setting things up. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH!

...and lots more.

I would like to encourage anyone to take the chance to make an exhibition if the opportunity arises.
Cheers, Patrik

Morten
19-Aug-2008, 15:47
Thanks Patrik!

Very very Nice exhibition documenation. A real shame that I was unable to be there, however real the issue holding me back at the time.

I need to push myself into having a LF exhibition within the next year, and hope to learn much from Your true experience next time we meet (in october).

Vi sees! :)

Ash
19-Aug-2008, 16:52
Looks good. Earlier this year our group exhibition was in the foyer to a theatre. It's a busy venue but unfortunately there was little to no feedback. An experience none-the-less.

Patrik Roseen
22-Aug-2008, 07:40
Ash, I have the same experience actually regarding feedback. It was only when I was present myself and could talk to visitors that I could pick up the feedback. The owners of the café told me that it was much appreciated but they were so occupied doing their normal job that they were not as focused on feedback as I would assume a gallery owner would be.

Morten, glad you like the setup. I too look forward to meeting you in October...however I have still not managed to work out my plans for the trip.
I guess you recognize the slippery waterfall the four of us were standing in. Had one slipped we would all have continued down the fall. How did your 5x7 shot turn out?

The color prints with the black vignetting are from the Weather Islands, and the 'boats in the black water' is shot from the mountain in Fjällbacka. Almost half of the exhibition was shot in the phototrip where we met last year.

Cheers,
Patrik

sanchi heuser
24-Aug-2008, 11:01
Hello Patrick,
hey,very good presentation.I liked especially the group of the six photos ,left side of the picture with the waterfall.
Good idea with the two vignetted colour photos on one wall,that looks great.
I'm shure ,that the visitors liked it very much.

That cafe seems to be a nice place to show photos.It has a clear design,and the walls are fine,looks like white painted wood.
Maybe you can make another exhibition the next year.

Best wishes
sanchi