PDA

View Full Version : Loading up film holders

genesis111989
17-Aug-2008, 17:41
Hi, I just got my view camera along with ten film holders and have some questions about how you all organize your film/ film holders. Do you load your film holders before you get to a shoot or when you're at a shoot using a film changing bag. Do you have film holders dedicated to color and BW so you don't get them mixed up? If not how do you know which is which after you get to a location. I shot some stuff this morning and forgot which one was color and which was BW. Fortunately I remembered what the notches felt like on my color and BW so I knew what was what before I took the photos and was able to check with my bag. I'd like to have a set of film holders for color and a set for BW but sometimes I'd like to shoot one more than the other so I don't want to dedicate holders for one type just yet. Anywho... if yall got any suggestions or info, anything would be appreciated!

Thanks,
AR

Michael Graves
17-Aug-2008, 18:15
I don't like to mark on the film holders themselves. Therefore, I label my film holders with Staples multiuse labels. They make two sizes. A very small one is useful for identifying each holder with a unique number, and the larger size is used to identify the film I loaded in the holder. Then on the plastic bag I store the holder in after it is loaded with film, I put an address label on that I write notes on, such as subject, lighting values and notes to myself for development.

Then I get home, get them all mixed up in the darkroom and still don't know what I shot...but at least I know which ones are B&W and which ones are color!

jim kitchen
17-Aug-2008, 18:20
Dear Genesis,

Do you number your each side of your film holders, such 1 and 2, 3 and 4?

I do, where I record the negative number this way for any information I record, during a session. My negative numbers reflect the year, month, day, and the negative number, such as 08 08 08 08.

If you load colour film in one film holder, and black and white in another, then just record the numbers in your field note book accordingly, regarding which happens to contain colour film. :)

jim k

Don Hutton
17-Aug-2008, 18:30
All my film holders are permanently identified - by letter and then number - so A01 and A02 are different sides of the same holder - usually I mark the holders on the white stripe with a Sharpie. Important if you ever have a problem to be able to identify which holder... I also use blue painters tape with the film type in the holder - I place a piece of tape with the film type loaded in the holder over the ends of both darkslides when I load the holder. I usually remove the safety clips from my holders and this piece of tape serves the same purpose. I remove the tape and once the holder is inserted into the camera and place it on my shirt during an exposure - I then replace it back onto the holder. Exposure details are recorded by film holder letter and number.

roteague
17-Aug-2008, 18:50
Do you have film holders dedicated to color and BW so you don't get them mixed up? If not how do you know which is which after you get to a location.

Most film holders have a place, along the each side of the film holder, near the top, where you can write the film type in pencil.

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2008, 19:57
I find it easier to load the holders at home, in a dark room and on location in a changing bag when I really have to. As far as organizing holders goes there's about as many ways to do that as there are photographers. I number my holders using those round adhesive stickers. If I have more than one type of film along I'll load them in holders either made from a different material (wood, or plastic, or metal) or from a different manufacturer's label (Lisco or Graflex or Agfa)

Whatever you choose to do, I think the important thing is to be consistent! :)

tgtaylor
17-Aug-2008, 21:03
Calumet sells a set of two 4x5 film holder cases. One case is solid black and the other case is solid red. Each case will hold 6 holders. I use the black case for B&W and the red for color. :)

BradS
18-Aug-2008, 10:06
I always vacuum and load film holders in advance - at home or in the hotel. Each loaded film holder is stored in a quart sized (for 4x5) zip-lock bag. I put a 3x5 index card in each bag. On the card, I record information...starting with the type of film. Later, I'll also record subject, date, location, lighting and exposure notes on the same card. The cards stay with the negatives throught the whole process. It works for me. Sometimes, I use post-it notes but, have to becareful to remove the post-it notes from the darkslides..or they end up inside the camera....which is a bad thing.

mrladewig
18-Aug-2008, 13:37
I tend to carry alot of different types of color film. When I hike, I prefer quickloads. But if I'm shooting from the car I try to shoot cut film as its much cheaper. Since I tend to carry several flavors of film, I really need to code my holders so I know what's in it. I also take notes for the shooting info, so I code my holders so I determine what is on the film.

I use a dymo labeler to note what film is in each and I number the holders on both sides. So a typical holder will be labeled EVS01/EVS02, next holder will be EVS03/EVS04 (for E100VS). RDP - Provia, RAP - Astia, RVP - Velvia, TMX - Tmax 100, etc...

Mark Stahlke
18-Aug-2008, 19:06
I just write the film type on the white plastic part of the dark slide with a grease pencil and then rub it off with my thumb when I reload.

Am I the only one who isn't anal about this?

Ole Tjugen
18-Aug-2008, 19:34
I'm lazy and also shoot several different film formats. So most of the time my 9x12cm holders will be BW and my 4x5" holders colour; or 5x7" BW and 13x18cm colour.

I've tried writing on the holders, but the next time I'll start wondering if I've really marked them or just forgotten to clean off the old markings...

genesis111989
18-Aug-2008, 20:17
Thanks for all the information. I'm gonna try a couple of different things and see how it all works out. I just numbered my film holders and will start to record all the information down while I'm shooting.

Thanks!
AR