PDA

View Full Version : Processing and Scanning Rolls of 120

Ralph Upchurch
17-Aug-2008, 03:06
I have a project that I shot on 120 film, and I would like to have the images scanned at moderately high resolution to tiffs at the same time the film is processed. I am in the Boston area, and the lab I used to use for this service (Zona) closed a while back. I am looking for a reliable lab service, and would prefer to stay local, but am willing to ship if necessary. Any recommendations?

Henry Ambrose
17-Aug-2008, 10:47
Not local to you but very good.

http://www.chromatics.com

Peter Lewitt
17-Aug-2008, 19:19
Color Services in Needham, MA

http://www.colorservicesllc.com/mainpage.html

Ralph Upchurch
18-Aug-2008, 03:31
I've used Color Services several times. They do a great job with prints and mounting. But I had a bad experience with film processing. They farmed out the job to another lab, and 80 rolls of my 120 film came back cut into individual negatives rather than strips. I don't think they use the same outfit now, and will give them a call to see what they currently offer, but I will be very careful before I give them another project.

Winger
18-Aug-2008, 13:10
Most of the labs up there cut the film into individual frames. I used a lab in Watertown, but I can't remember their name. They will do develop only and leave it in strips, but to print it, they cut it in frames. I don't know if they scan from strips, but they probably scan frames. They did a great job at developing and printing, if you don't mind not having strips (each frame comes back in a protective packet that has their printing info on it - I just have all of those in acid-free boxes).

Charles
10-Sep-2008, 12:35
This reply is a bit tardy but if you don't mind shipping by mail, A&I Photographic in Hollywood/LA is probably amoung the top labs in the country. The film comes back pristine, vitually spot free. They will return it rolled or in strips (not individual frames) sleeved in a 3 ring archival sheet.

A number of well known landscape photographers, including David Muench, use A&I.

Preston
10-Sep-2008, 13:24
I've used A&I for a few years for film processing and will echo what Charles said about the company.

You don't need a special 'mailer' to send film: Just box it up and includea letter stating what you need, your billing info and shipping info.

Scanning 120: Some flatbeds will take strips, others require the film to cut into single frames. Film that will be drum scanned will need to be cut.

With A&I I ask for the full strip of film. It comes back rolled in a sturdy little plastic box. I then cut it into strips and place it in Print File sheets.

A&I has a nice website and a customer's forum. They are great folks to work with.

-P

Lenny Eiger
11-Sep-2008, 10:01
Scanning 120: Some flatbeds will take strips, others require the film to cut into single frames. Film that will be drum scanned will need to be cut.

Any drum scanner can accommodate the same strip that you would put into your PrintFile sheets. I do it all the time.

Lenny

Preston
11-Sep-2008, 10:34
Thanks, Lenny. I stand corrected.

-P

Skorzen
11-Sep-2008, 13:42
I have used Colortek (http://www.colortek.org/) once for 4X5, they're in Boston and I believe offer scanning. Maybe an option?